ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 VS FRP

Iceberg 172
get an FRP.

it'll still be worth money in a few years' time when all the 1*2's are unloved rust-piles.

sure, they cost to keep in parts, but it is a truly motorsport-derived variant, far more so than the Renault sport offerings.

Bullet.

Iceberg 172
Flol! That day will live long in the memory!

I may fly to gatwick Dan save you any hassle aswell! Think it's roughly a 6 and a half hour drive!

Thanks for the positive comments dudes!

Where / When are you doing this mate? I live 15 minutes from Gatwick... pm me, if I can make it I'll help ya out... I'd like a nosey around a FRP too!

172 - 249bhp @ the wheels
get an FRP.

it'll still be worth money in a few years' time when all the 1*2's are unloved rust-piles.

sure, they cost to keep in parts, but it is a truly motorsport-derived variant, far more so than the Renault sport offerings.

1*2's shouldn't suffer rot really though, they are all galvanised from the factory ;)

FRP makes more financial sense tbh, but they look gash imo.

120d M Sport
£20 says Gally sells up and buys a 182 trophy within 3 months........

Even if he does the ownership experience of the FRP will more than likely have been worth it.

Gally I get the impression it's something you kinda at least want to get your system? if that makes sense

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Where / When are you doing this mate? I live 15 minutes from Gatwick... pm me, if I can make it I'll help ya out... I'd like a nosey around a FRP too!
I'll know by the end of the day what's happening mate, thanks very much for the offer.

Danny offered to drive me down aswell. :)

Even if he does the ownership experience of the FRP will more than likely have been worth it.

Gally I get the impression it's something you kinda at least want to get your system? if that makes sense
Thanks Alex, this 182 vs thing was from ages ago so I don't think about the 182 as much anymore but maybe in time i'd move to a Trophy or something.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I actually can't wait to give people a go. :eek:

I think it's a car you need to drive to see what the fuss was about.

My dad drove the first ever one in 2000 at ingilston he told me the other night.

They couldn't sell any at 23k so they had to give them to ford management kinda a mini flop when they came out even tho they were good, 10k over a normal Puma was a lot!

His boss bought his daughter no.16 when they came out.

A ANIMAL
was she fit?

Same as the Trophy with regards to drive though i think. I believe Evo did a piece with the Dc2, FRP, and Trophy - and felt the FRP and T were similar in the way they drove, but the FRP was a bit under powered

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Bookmark this:

http://www.itrsport.com/reviewArticles/puma_vs_clio_vs_itr/puma_vs_clio_vs_itr.html

Lap times of Pembrey:

DC2 Integra Type R - 1 min 15.48
PH1 Clio 172 - 1 min 15.40
Racing Puma - 1 min 13.75...

;)

was she fit?

Same as the Trophy with regards to drive though i think. I believe Evo did a piece with the Dc2, FRP, and Trophy - and felt the FRP and T were similar in the way they drove, but the FRP was a bit under powered
Have a read at that one Dave posted, underpowered no doubt but over a second quicker in the corners shows how set up the car is.

To be honest it couldn't be any more perfect for me, I will never feel it's under powered as I really don't drive anywhwere near quick enough, it's more about handling.

Pics of her? :eek:

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
This is very true but at least it'll not get stone chipped at 3mph!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
iirc it can't crash, God designed the suspension himself.

That's what Roy Munson told me! :eek:

Tiger R6 / Saxo Vts
Hmmmm, difficult one.

I've had a 182 with cup packs, and driven a FRP. I'd take the puma if it had a bit more power, but day to day it would frustrate me - my Saxo Vts handled pretty much as well as the FRP, and with just an exhaust/filter/de-cat it outdragged the Puma.

If you could get a Puma with the Focus Rs lump in it then I'd do that!

However, you probably wouldn't be too disappointed with the Clio.

Just to throw a couple of other options into the mix - what about going a tiny bit older and considering an Integra Type R or Mini Cooper S? I sold my s which had about 185bhp with just a smaller supercharger pulley, and the Vtech engines in the Hondas are just awesome if you like that kind of thing (which I do, hence the S2000).

Having said that I got my S2000 for 7300 so not that much outside your budget, and I could have got a cheaper one if I hadn't got one with a hardtop/that had an immaculate service history. Insurance is savage though.

A ANIMAL
Hmmmm, difficult one.

I've had a 182 with cup packs, and driven a FRP. I'd take the puma if it had a bit more power, but day to day it would frustrate me - my Saxo Vts handled pretty much as well as the FRP, and with just an exhaust/filter/de-cat it outdragged the Puma.

If you could get a Puma with the Focus Rs lump in it then I'd do that!

However, you probably wouldn't be too disappointed with the Clio.

Just to throw a couple of other options into the mix - what about going a tiny bit older and considering an Integra Type R or Mini Cooper S? I sold my s which had about 185bhp with just a smaller supercharger pulley, and the Vtech engines in the Hondas are just awesome if you like that kind of thing (which I do, hence the S2000).

Having said that I got my S2000 for 7300 so not that much outside your budget, and I could have got a cheaper one if I hadn't got one with a hardtop/that had an immaculate service history. Insurance is savage though.

Read the thread dear boy!!

Good move. 182's are everywhere these days.

My neighbour has a FRP and has totally restored it, sounds like a spitfire!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Looks and admiration, character ect... one time chance really to own something I see as a special car.

Bit piss trying to explain to people what it is tho!

About as bad a cup packs full fat cup nonsense!

I think I made the right choice even against most other cars not just the 182.

I'm a Ford nut at the end of the day. And any repairs my Brother and Dad can do with their eyes shut.

Kev's right about the girl part it'll be quick enough for me.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I think me and Danny will stop in.

I think I have 6 stops on the way back up so far ffs!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Was actually darn sarf for me.

Of course I would come see you, I was being serious, me and Dan would pop in.

120d M Sport
Have you bought it yet?

Aside from everything else, it will be good to own a car in the worldly colour that is Imperial Blue!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Funnily enough my brother has an imperial blue Zetec s. ;)

Teah I bought it mate looking to pick it up middle of nexy week!

8 hour drive! All about travelling for the right car I hope!

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
FRP's are awesome mate, had an FRP engine in my old Performance Ford featured ZS ;) epic ammounts of overrun pops from a 4-2-1 and de-cat! But u get that manifold as standard! haha :D

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks mate, nice to get good feedback! Looking forward to the 8 hour drive back! Lols!