ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 VS FRP

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
that puma looks great!!! Just wish it have more performance...Sure the 182 is quicker??

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I would think it would be Ali i'll toddle off and check.

Frp's suit speedlines so much.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
FRP 7.9s 0-60 - 126mph - 152bhp

182 6.9 0-60 - 139mph - 180bhp

I know they aren't perfect figures but an idea.

The lump in the Racing puma is just a fettled 1.7 Ali supposed to be 155bhp.
The turinis are not standard no.
1.7i 16V Ford Racing 3d7.9 s126 mph152 bhp

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Could have been perfect with a few more horses.
Out handles most cars and rang the ring quicker than a FRS mk1. Just let down by poor power.

Most people put the FRS lump into the puma.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Are you considering anything else mate?

For 6.5k theres alot of car for that money these days. You said your considering a CTR?

Why not consider a Type R Ek9? for that money you will secure a very late 2000 RX Facelift model on an auction grade 4?

Dare i say IMO, a better car than the 1*2

Out of the 2 I'd probably pick the FRP, Never driven one but I had an engine from one in a ZS so I know it's got a fair bit of poke and I prefer the look of the Puma. They're alot rarer than the 182 (500 built I think?) plus those seats in the Puma are amazing.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Are you considering anything else mate?

For 6.5k theres alot of car for that money these days. You said your considering a CTR?

Why not consider a Type R Ek9? for that money you will secure a very late 2000 RX Facelift model on an auction grade 4?

Dare i say IMO, a better car than the 1*2
Nah needs to be newer (or an frp) and aren't those group 20 insurance! Get to fook!

I did think about a ctr steering just always felt a bit crap, and never gave me the big grin factor.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
:( Just voicing my opinion!

VTS and 5k on making it 500bhp? ;)

172 (sold), Elise,
I have a 172 and the Mrs has a Puma (not FRP)

Puma:
Great seats - still probably the most comfy and supportive of any 'normal' car I have driven - and our Puma has 115k on it.
Great revvy engine - just fast enough to overtake and have fun in an everyday car.
Boot - hard to live with as difficult shape
Cheap to run - but as said the FRP has several expensive high performance parts. FRP body panels are very expensive as well so a minor ding could be £££
FRP will probably not loose money
FRP look great!

172:
Great day to day drive, loads of room, good boot, seats fold flat
Not as responsive as Puma - steering is noticably better 'fun' on Puma
Fast, I could see myself taking the 172 on the track but the Puma is better suited to B-roads - think the lack of grunt would fustrate me on the track
Newer ones will still loose money (why I bought a 172 over a 182)
172 look suble (unless modded) - I like the fact no one knows what is is.

My personal summary:

- if you want something 'special' I would go FRP
- if you want a decent everyday drive I would go 172.

The 'special' choice of 172 would be the cup - I love them but am enjoying the climate control in the 172.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
There will be no cups in my drive! xenons are a must on the clio! :)

Thanks for that mate. I do think I would go for a 182 over the 172 unless I want to take 2k off my budget and be happy with a later 172 maybe!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
There will be no cups in my drive! xenons are a must on the clio! :)

Thanks for that mate. I do think I would go for a 182 over the 172 unless I want to take 2k off my budget and be happy with a later 172 maybe!

Nae trophy either then paschment heid?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Got pics of your rep?
Nah it was my 2nd car, bit like Alans pearl black one.

I got the lights off a 172 write off at my work and fired the standard one it before it went to the scrappies! ;)

I would happily retro fit lights into the trophy tbh.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Get the best 182/trophy you can ,the ford would be a little too old for me im afraid,plus all the toys would be in the 182.

Just had a quick scan and for 6.5k you can have

Puma racing year 2000 70k on clock,£6500

182 ff year 2005 40k on clock,£6500.

Last edited:

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I know Iain cheers for that mate, 182 is winning!

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Get it bought, your always on here anyway so the decision is already half made? :)

Me and my partner have owned both, I loved my 182 and the b/f loved the FRP.

The FRP was a great car and handled really well, we replaced the gearbox to a LSD version and spent quite a bit of money on her.

If u want any info on the FRP my b/f will be more then happy to help just pm me

Here's a teaser for u

FRSandFRPClean027.gif

RIMG0411.gif

edited3.gif

Fiesta ST-2
Get the best 182/trophy you can ,the ford would be a little too old for me im afraid,plus all the toys would be in the 182.

Just had a quick scan and for 6.5k you can have

Puma racing year 2000 70k on clock,£6500

182 ff year 2005 40k on clock,£6500.

I got a 182 with 40k for £4400 - minus cup suspension/wheels/spoiler but that'll be sorted soon :cool:

S3, Polo
Trophy.

Handling AND power.

Future classic too, IMO (It seems that Metcalfe bloke from EVO thinks so too, and he's supposed to know his onions!).

Personally, I'd struggle with the Mk4/5 Fiesta-basted interior (excepting the Recaros!) of the FRP - that and the lack of outright powaaah.

Get the Trophy bought! Do it, do it.

MCS R56
FRP is really nice and has not dated but it ain't got the power. It needs a good 30+bhp, and that's where the Trophy comes in!

Honestly? Any real reason Cat?
Yep honestly. Reasons for the FRP are that it'll not lose much money really (if any at all) as people always want them, if you do a load of miles though i'd not get one, to me they are a special car & always will be.
A 182 isn't really that special at all really imo, the FRP is.
If it were a 182 trophy or a FRP i'd be hard pushed to decide as trophy's are a bit special (toughie tbh)

To me the worst case scenario is that you get the FRP, don't like it & have to sell it on after a few months. I'm yet to go in one (only ever been in normal 1.7 pumas) where as i've been in a few 182's etc.

RB 182 with CUP packs
Me and my partner have owned both, I loved my 182 and the b/f loved the FRP.

The FRP was a great car and handled really well, we replaced the gearbox to a LSD version and spent quite a bit of money on her.

If u want any info on the FRP my b/f will be more then happy to help just pm me

Is your b/f Tom by any chance?
I recognise the cars ;)

Not a Diesel!!!

ClioSport Club Member
  LY Meg Cup-S + MX5
Puma's been on my list a few times but have always moved away because of 2 things.

1. Performance - Its got more power than normal 1.7 but no more Torque and is heavier. For a car that can car so much speed through the corners you wont be accelerating at all.

2. Running costs - Looking on the forums there seems a multitude of problems including the Alcon Brakes, Expensive Panels, Worn Interiors, Difficult to balance wheels.

I bought a 306 GTI-6 one of the times I was looking 6 years ago and a Trophy when I was lookinging 18 months ago. With the exception of the Special dampers on the Clio anything else that breaks is standard 182 and thats pretty cheap new and a plentiful supply in years to come second hand as more get crashed. The Puma will have to be hobby of a car.

Trophy should hold its value pretty well now to so depreciation should be similar.

Tav

Clio 197
Trophy or FRP, both special...and that's important to an enthusiast.

But...who ever called the FRP the best FWD handling car in the world? Pretty bold statement that I've never read?

Astra Twintop
FRP's are Fat Puma's

If you scrape / ding it expect a big bill. Body panels are horrifically expensive.

Just a glorified fiesta at the end of the day.

Not keen on em, and with it being a Ford, and getting on a bit now rust may be a issue