ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 unsteady at speed

Clio 182
I've had my 182 clio with cup packs for about 2 months now and i'm noticing that it feels a bit unsteady at speed. I'm talking maybe 70-80mph. It just does'nt inspire much confidence in me. I've also found that breaking from speed can also feel a bit unsteady.

Just wanted to know if anyone else feels the same. If not what do you thinks wrong with mine?

Audi TT 3.2 V6
Braking hard at speed can cause the car to feel unstable at the back end but that's due to the back end being light, front end being heavier and the weight transfer that takes place during hard braking.

Might be worth getting your tracking and wheel balancing checked?

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
i didnt like going over 100 in the clio. felt all over the place compared to my astra H i had before

Audi TT 3.2 V6
i didnt like going over 100 in the clio. felt all over the place compared to my astra H i had before

Know what you mean to an extent, my ST170 was much more stable at speed. The Clio grips better but the ST170 handled alot better (if you pushed a little too hard it was much more controllable than the Clio which goes all over the show)

Clio Sport 182
I certainly agree about the back end going light under hard braking at speed! Since I changed to pro line springs I think the car feels more stable.

Da

Less
Check dampers for leaks if the car feels unsteady.
Personally I have found no issues with mine well in excess of 80mph.

Peddled device
Going over slight bumps in the road whilst going round corners can unsettle the back a little also.

By a fat 197 for added weight ;)

Clio 182
Thanks for all the replies......

I have a feeling that i've got a problem with the rear shocks so i might get them changed over and see if that makes a difference. Its not overly unstable, I just did'nt expect it from a car that was designed to drive fast.

Was also thinking of upgrading the brake pads (just the pads as I hav'nt got the money to do the discs at the mo). Any suggestions on which ones might make a difference.

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
mine feels unsteady sometimes but my rear shocks look fine argh well im getting coilovers soon so that will sort the problem

At high speed it's not a very stable car at all. Sure, you get familiar with it, but most modern (& sporty) cars these days feel so much more planted. The 197 is far more stable for example.

As for braking, I think they all weave about a bit, especially on rutted/cambered road surfaces. Low tyre tread makes this far more pronounced too.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
even the 197 at full chat giving it beans at serious speed has it's moments too tbh.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
check the rear dampers for leaking oil as said above, when mine went it was VERY unstable at speed and under braking it was actually that i noticed more than the handling due to mine going in winter when i wasnt pushing it.

i know mine goes over 140mph most days i take it out for a blast and feels 100% planted to be honest!

BMW M135i
Lowering helps a lot with the high speed stability I always found, even just a set of prolines which hardly drop anything made it much better. Can really appreciate what people mean now i've got the meggy though, will pull 130 buttons no bother an feels much more planted doing it.

Clio 172 mk2
At high speed it's not a very stable car at all. Sure, you get familiar with it, but most modern (& sporty) cars these days feel so much more planted. The 197 is far more stable for example.

As for braking, I think they all weave about a bit, especially on rutted/cambered road surfaces. Low tyre tread makes this far more pronounced too.

+1

IMO the 172 is pretty skittish/crashy on UK roads (potholed to f**k)

L'arctic Bleu Clio 182FF
Braking hard at speed can cause the car to feel unstable at the back end but that's due to the back end being light, front end being heavier and the weight transfer that takes place during hard braking.

Might be worth getting your tracking and wheel balancing checked?

+1...

Datsun
I had a similar problem and got an eibach pro-kit fitted. Transformed the car completely - now feels much more planted at speed.

Get your tracking etc done too. Also make sure your tyres are ok - tread depth/wear even, pressures ok - make sure there's no nankang ditchfinders on the car either.

Add me 2 ur PS3 - Lylak
Check wheel nuts too, but I reckon it'll be the tracking :)

Does it pull to one direction when you go slowly down the road without holding the steering wheel?

The cars nose heavy, needs more weight transferred to the back which would make it much more sturdy as yes the back end feels a bit twitchy when braking at high speeds

Williams 2 & 200
Sorry to resurrect this thread but I have just brought an 02 172 and it feels very odd when breaking and driving at speed and i'm not sure if its normal as i haven't driven a 172 before this (last car was a 106 rallye which felt very different lol).

Basically when the steering fells light at around 65+ and when breaking from this speed the other day it seemed as if the car didn't want to turn in fully.

The tyres all need replacing and the tracking needs to be done as the steering wheel is not straight when the wheels are. Does anyone think that will sort the problem or could it be power steering/shock related?

'02 Monaco Blue 172
Definately the problems you mention will help, also check for leaky shocks, the rears have a tendancy to need replacing after a while and can cause them to skip round corners if they are shot!

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I have just brought an 02 172 and it feels very odd when breaking and driving at speed and i'm not sure if its normal as i haven't driven a 172 before this (last car was a 106 rallye which felt very different lol).

Basically when the steering fells light at around 65+ and when breaking from this speed the other day it seemed as if the car didn't want to turn in fully.

The tyres all need replacing and the tracking needs to be done as the steering wheel is not straight when the wheels are. Does anyone think that will sort the problem or could it be power steering/shock related?

When I first got my car the tyres were only just still legal and it felt very unstable and would be hard to keep in a straight line under hard braking from speed. Once I got new (premium) tyres and new suspension the car feels so much better.

Titanium 182
I know, I got the back out on my test drive, with the salesman sat next to me :clown:

They're still way more planted than a 182 though :)

Hah ! that's ace.

My 182 felt like the steering was "Loose" when booting it after about 70mph like it was drifting left & right ever so slightly so you had to keep making micro adjustments.

Williams 2 & 200
Cheers i'll get the tyres done and see what the difference is like, compared to my old Rallye the Clio is a totally different kettle of fish :D

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Like i've always said, i've had 2 kanckered dampers/shockers and neither where leaking, pretty sure my 182 ones are shot to, and not leaking, car feels awful at the moe.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Shocks are £50 each, take them both off and press the damper down and pull it up, you'll soon tell which is knackered (no/little resistance)

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Yeah cos that would be the spring pushing up not the damper, all the damper does is offer resistance basically.

LY 200
At 70 she cruises niceley although still a little bumpy.....At silly speeds shes abit shakey/acts like she doesnt want to be doing them!

S&K

182 cup + Elise
Our 182 Cup feels fine, even braking down from 120+ MPH on uneven surfaces, even braking into turns it feels great. only annoying thing is the bloody ESP, how do you turn it off ? What tyres have you got and what pressures are you running if the suspension is otherwise fine ?