ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Sucking Noise *solution*

Volvo C30 R - T5
OK, today I finally managed to rid my '04 182 FF of that annoying hissing/sucking noise that appeared to come from the passenger footwell on acceleration. I first noticed this noise around 6 months ago and it has bugged me ever since, it was not an overly loud noise and to be honest it could only be heard if the radio was off and you knew it was there. The noise would begin at around 2500rpm and continue right the way up, all the way through the gears and even when sat in 5th with a quick push on the throttle.

I trawled through all the threads available online with no definitive answer to this problem, suggestions ranged from induction issues to exhaust problems. A short while back the car was in need a new exhaust, the standard one is pretty useless so i did away with it and splashed out on a Milltek cat back system which is worth every penny! However the annoying suck still remained so i focussed on the panel filter which also led to no avail, the filter was spotlessly clean, no hosings were damaged or loose and all seemed fine.

It got to the point where i was beginning to believe some posts I had read about 'all 182's making some form of noise under acceleration' but decided that one last attempt was worth a shot. I took the car back to the place that fitted the Milltek and asked them to have a good look at the manifold gasket, obviously joining the manifold to the cat. I had been under the car myself to have a look at this and it looked fine but I just wanted to be sure.

Basically it turns out that when the exhaust had been fitted, this part had not been changed and after a new gasket with plenty of sealant had been applied the noise had gone. Also they didn't charge me for this hour or so of labour due it being their fault it hadnt been changed! It is however worth noting that the noise did exist prior to the new exhaust being fitted and that from what i've seen alot of people are living with that annoying noise, fair enough if you can put up with it but my suggestion would be to get that gasket checked out!

**Just to make you all aware the noise in question is a sucking/hissing/blowing noise ONLY on the throttle from around 3000rpm upwards and is only noticeable when the car is in motion, NOT when the car is revved from standstill.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Mine did it, turned out to be a hole in the cat. Birchdown welded it up for me :)

RB 182
Yeah i had a whistle that got removed when birchdown put a new fixing kit on it, mine didn't even have the spring bolts on it!

Pretty sure you arent meant to put sealant around the cat - manifold joint though mate.

Clio 182
mine whistles like a b**ch, but its a bran new exhaust and gasket kit and there is not a leak anywhere in the system lol its so annoying, i have even tuned the engine off going down a hill and its still there but not always really weired lol

182 Trophy
It sounds like either a hole in the cat, bend cat flange or the cat/manifold joint (spring bolts/gasket). I have had no end of problems with this & have just ordered a new cat 'cos I was sick of trying to bodge it over & over.

PS - Exhaust paste is only to be used after the cat!

LY 182 & 200
Did u find sometimes your 5k kick wouldnt happen and you would get flat spots? Ive got the same noise your on about so guna get it on a ramp tomorrow n have a look.

Volvo C30 R - T5
Car still picks up at 4500-5000 rpm exactly as it would normally, It's just an annoying hiss. When it was patched up it went and sounded great, now the noise isnt as loud as it was previously but is definately coming back. Going to take another trip back to the exhaust centre for another look when I've got time.

RB 182
Have you replaced it with a genuine Renault fixing kit? As the after market / non genuine ones aren't up to the job (odds are you're exhaust place have used a cheap and nasty one)

If not replace it with a proper Renault part, make sure its all tight (don't use paste on this joint either) if its still making the hissing noise I would be looking for a hole in your CAT / exhaust somewhere.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
I know exactly what this is. Its called a characteristic. They all do it. Accept it and move on to the next annoying rattle.

Clio 182 Fiat Coupe
I know exactly what this is. Its called a characteristic. They all do it. Accept it and move on to the next annoying rattle.

Yep, just learn to live with it. My stainless exhaust has been off 4 times now for tightening and gasket changes (all to no avail).

As Ollie says, it's a trait of the car.