ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 strut probs+zaust+engine an more help

Full Fat 182 - Was..

Right i need answers to these questions!!! please

So here goes...

Ive got an 04 182 with both cup packs and 3+ problems

1.) I have the knocking at low revs coming off the power in 1st and 2nd, took it in to Renault and asked them to have a look at the engine mount, they returned and told me both of my strut tops need replacing, and this will take 1.5 hours each, they also said that the engine mount was ok.

What does "replacing or modding" the strut tops involve? Will this affect the cup suspension? Renault were unable to give me a decent answer on this.

MORE IMPORTANT NOW!!!

After a trip from oxford to linconshire and a few hundred miles more my strut tops are really bad, they knock like crazy on rough ground and on left or right lock when steering!

Does this damage anything? tyres, suspension steering? what will fixing them involve and will it mess anything else up after they fix it like tracking or steering? i really need to know ASAP this is the one that needs fixing like last month!

2.) when I pull up for a little while with the engine running I get a little tapping sound, it speeds up and slows down with the revs up to about 3000 then stops for a bit then starts again a little while after, sounds like one of the belts is making the noise.

Renault told me I needed a new ACS Valve and new rubber bushes underneath to dampen the sound. But they couldn’t tell me what the ACS valve was apart from something to do with making charcoal!?!

This is getting to be a real bug now, happens when stopped at lights and all over the shop! also my car is runing like its full of nails and junk instead of Shell Optimanx and this all seems to be after this tapping noise started up...

3.) Exhaust problems, when I pass through the 3000 rev mark my exhaust makes a really bad rasp/burble that’s quite loud, if I go past the 3000 mark and then come off the power and let the car slow down through the range it does it again. Also when the car is warm it makes a similar noise when I change gear at higher revs.

Renault "tested" the car sat in their workshop, and said they couldnt find a problem despite me taking 2 of them out in the car so they could hear it. The exhaust only makes the noise when the car is moving and pressure is going through the exhaust system. Could this be baffles? Or a blowing section? this also adds to the crap running of my car

Please could you help me with this as my once good dealer seems to have gone to the dogs and is of no use to me (and I don’t trust them)

Any help would be grateful ASAP

Any ideas guys? Telford_Mike?? Renault Techs??

Cheers

James

Lee

BMW M2C

The strut top mod stops a loud knock from the engine bay. The small knock in 1st and 2nd when lifting is most likely the top engine mount. I had mine adjusted and lubed up. I had exactly the same as you and they tried to fix it 3 times, including doing the strut top mount mod twice, even though I told them it wasnt that! Get them to straighten the top mount, drivers side.

I also had the centre section of the exhaust replaced at 9k miles due to the same problem. Since being repaired I dont think its sealed properly as mine is running rough at idle. Im getting it checked at the 12k service next week.

Dont know about number 2, I thought that was normal as my 172 was similar.

Pics of the repairs here: http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/showalbums.php?user=leemLink In the fixed section.

RB182cup&golf gti

can i just add - is the knocking on full lock linked to the knocking when in 1st/2nd etc as ive noticed it on mine - turned the car round this mo and it definitely knocked a couple of times, ive studied the thread on the knocking noise just need to pop it to reno - hopefully the 2 are linked and its just a case of adjusting the mount

Full Fat 182 - Was..

the knocking is when turning on lock, its like im dropping it off the kirb on ice! it skips and bangs all over the shop, and its made steering dodge too.

the zaust doesnt make a rattle as it blew all the guts out the back and now just has ragged metal to make the buzzing noize, so renault cant finds anything to fault

anyway its in for this friday, fingers crossed they dont shagg it up

cheers guys