ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 or st?

clio 3 1.4 16v
Hi all
I'm looking to upgrade from the Clio 3 in the next couple of months and I originally planned on getting a performance blue fiesta st, however recently I started looking at 182's and Now I'm leaning towards the idea of one them my budget is £6000 is this enough for a good example of a 182?, sorry if this post seems vague I just wanted to get people's opinions and generate thoughts, thanks inadvance for your replies

clio 3 1.4 16v
A trophy would be amazing! but having trawled through autotrader hours on end I can't find any lol, I'm also slightly worried about the cambelt aux belt so I were thinking that it'd best to get 1 that's had it done to say one with slightly lower mileage that hasn't?

Clio 182
i had a st, nicer interior they feel more solid. but get a 182 they have a awesome kick at 5k plus more equipped climate control auto lights, cruise control. my mate has a st doing 170 and nothing between us in a staight tbh.

Terry

Italian 3.2 V6
£6000 is easy enough for a good one. U could get a brill one for £5k!

182 over the ST anyday..!!

clio 3 1.4 16v
Lol @ Roy Munson I was really sold on the idea of an st originally but then I researched them and realised that there really a "warm" hatch compared to a 182 and the insurance will only be £200 pounds steeper for the 182 so I'm definitely more interested in a 182 now I just want the best I can get with my budget

Exactly. Not in the same market. It always amuses me that people think they are. Mind you, chuck some Mountune at it, and the Fiesta will have the Renault smoked. The ST gearbox is worth more than the entire Clio.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Oh I didn't see the thread going this way...

clio 3 1.4 16v
No I haven't tried piston heads yet matey I didn't really start myself dreaming about a trophy lol because there was only 2 coming up on autotrader at like 7 grand :s

CBR1000RR Fireblade
182 anyday, the ST's are poor. mind you i went in a mates focus RS and i thought that was the most over rated car i have ever come across. id get a 182 if i were you buddy

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
This was my 2 cars to choose from as well and u can see what I picked lol

Drive them both then make your mind up don't listen to anyone else about the drive and feel because everyone is diff and plus your are asking this question on cliosport.net lol (one sided answers expected)

The drive of the 182 did it for me and I have never looked back :)

182, 6r GTi
Exactly. Not in the same market. It always amuses me that people think they are. Mind you, chuck some Mountune at it, and the Fiesta will have the Renault smoked. The ST gearbox is worth more than the entire Clio.

my brothers st has the montune performance kit on it (cams manifold full system etc) and is still slower than my 182? and its not the driver as i have driven it against my 182 aswell from rolling and drag racing.

dont get me wrong the build quality of the fiesta is allot better than the clios better interior etc but for the price i dont think its worth it atall and you know itll start to rush rather quick.

this isnt a if its not a clio its shite rand its just the truth, and i can personaly say i have experience both cars so im not making it up

if you opt for the st id say get a tdci zetec s instead had one of those for a bit and is lovely to drive,

clio 3 1.4 16v
Cheers fastdanbar I'm definitely going to test drive both, I realise I will get biased opinions on here but i thought if the owners disliked them enough theyd also tell me that too, I just want the car to make me grin from ear to ear when I drive it as it will be my first proper car as the biggest I've drove upto yet is a 1.4 lol

I meant smoked as in a far better car.

Obviously we'd have to check someone else's lap times on a circuit it'll never be driven on before drawing a conclusion. The Clio's steering wheel and gearbox alone are enough to put it last.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
182 anyday, the ST's are poor. mind you i went in a mates focus RS and i thought that was the most over rated car i have ever come across. id get a 182 if i were you buddy
Oh my...

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
Cheers fastdanbar I'm definitely going to test drive both, I realise I will get biased opinions on here but i thought if the owners disliked them enough theyd also tell me that too, I just want the car to make me grin from ear to ear when I drive it as it will be my first proper car as the biggest I've drove upto yet is a 1.4 lol

Seems you have got a mixed bag tbh as u have Roy and gally who continuously slate all clios for the boxes and steering wheels (which i actually quite like) plus numerous other parts of the little french hatch and then u have the TWISTIES YO! Crowd who swear by the RS clios lol
I would say try an ST 1st then try a 182 the difference will become more visible then, u go from a small engined car to an ST you will smile wide! but then from the ST to the 182 with a small amount of drivin in the small engine car between for me it was just pure :)s the hole test drive.
But you maybe different and feel the same way as Roy and gally therefore joining the Clio knocking crew lol

Last edited:
  172 Cup
Personally having driven both and having known owners of both for years i would say go for the 182, but the st is defo not to be sniffed at!

WANTED: RB 182
not disputing that lol, I ment ask '182 or st?' you might get a different response lol

Heh, i know what you meant dude :] Its definitely worth starting the same thread on there to see what they are saying these days as im sure they'd be pretty honest!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Seems you have got a mixed bag tbh as u have Roy and gally who continuously slate all clios for the boxes and steering wheels (which i actually quite like) plus numerous other parts of the little french hatch and then u have the TWISTIES YO! Crowd who swear by the RS clios lol
I would say try an ST 1st then try a 182 the difference will become more visible then, u go from a small engined car to an ST you will smile wide! but then from the ST to the 182 with a small amount of drivin in the small engine car between for me it was just pure :)s the hole test drive.
But you maybe different and feel the same way as Roy and gally therefore joining the Clio knocking crew lol

I should have you done for Slander.

I was 5 minutes from putting a deposit down on a Trophy before buying the Frp. Hardly think they're that bad! Maybe look back through my posts and find where I said there were crap.

It's funny. I remember mostly Clio owners complaining about the yacht sized wheel maybe of chewing gum. And 2 182 owners commenting how much better the ST box is.

I'm sure some pubescents in here would have people believe the 1*2 is the best car ever made, i'm sorry to disappoint, it's not.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
ST is s**t slow/could go faster on roller skates/muslamic ray guns/etc. Standard CS responce.

The fiesta is a fantastic car in its own right. I've driven a few in anger and they are great fun, handle well, don't have a gearshift that can be compared to stirring thick porridge with a dildo and are a far nicer place to sit inside than the clio. That said, with 6k I'd be 100% be looking at a Trophy. Quicker out of the box than the ST, handle extraordinarily well and should hold their value. Should. That's what I keep telling myself anyway.