ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 MOT - FAIL... Incredibly high emissions

browno

ClioSport Club Member
JUst spoken to my mechanic who has taken the 182 for MOT today, and it's failed specatcularly on emissions with the levels being:

6.18% CO (limit =0.3%)
231ppm HC (limit - 200ppm)

Emissions are apparently spot-on at idle, but rocket up at fast-idle...

It's completely standard apart from a prospeed cat-back exhaust system - no de-cat.

I'm guessing that it's either a dead lambda sensor (most likely?) or a crumbling cat...

anyone got any other thoughts... I've done a search and seen a few lambda fails giving 2% CO or thereabouts, but nothing as extreme as the 6+% here....

Hopefully it won't be too pricey either way!

browno

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for all the replies guys - guess the first thing is to replace the lambda sensor (presumably the pre-cat one first) - and see if it's better... if not, then I'll look at post cat lambda and/or a new (sports?) cat...

Will let you know what we find tomorrow...

browno

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers Fred - forgot the most important part there really - car is indeed being hooked up to the computer this morning to see what that says before we start replacing parts needlessly!

I'm sure they are different one way or another, although if your on the cheap you could probably get away with swapping them if they are the same.

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
id say its a faulty engine senser prob collent temp causeing the engine to run cold start up map all the time.

RS RIP
:eek: 6,--% ..wow !

Maybe one of your plugs aint doing the job too, it wo'nt get complete combustion , therefor high emissions ?

Thanks for all the replies guys - guess the first thing is to replace the lambda sensor (presumably the pre-cat one first) - and see if it's better... if not, then I'll look at post cat lambda and/or a new (sports?) cat...

Will let you know what we find tomorrow...
The post cat Lambda is only there to check the cat is doing it's Job if it's a Lambda that's at fault it will be the pre cat you can test them with a voltmeter even way.

alien green rs133
get a friendly mot :rasp:

or you can get emission helping stuff you stick in fuel and i have seen it work :D

Last edited:
  mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
haveing high hc means its not burning the fuel enouth and high co .

never replaced a lambda senser yet to get it thro an mot
most cars ive failed on a mot cars fail on co (dead cat) or lambda reading out (air leak) all all three readings out cars not hot enouth.

is the eml lamp on? get the fault codes checked.

browno

ClioSport Club Member
After more digging and testing - it looks 90% like the cat is dead which (as ben says above) seems fairly logical - the CO is through the roof, but HC's are only marginally high - which would say to me as a chemist that the cat isn't doing its job and oxidising the CO to CO2... but it's not massively over-fuelling as the HCs would be stupidly high too...

As a result I called up K-Tec this morning and ordered up a sports cat (and finally got around to renewing my membership so I can get my discount!)...

RS RIP
After more digging and testing - it looks 90% like the cat is dead which (as ben says above) seems fairly logical - the CO is through the roof, but HC's are only marginally high - which would say to me as a chemist that the cat isn't doing its job and oxidising the CO to CO2... but it's not massively over-fuelling as the HCs would be stupidly high too...

As a result I called up K-Tec this morning and ordered up a sports cat (and finally got around to renewing my membership so I can get my discount!)...

sportcat .. only one time mine was ok on emissions, gave the car a good thrashing before so was good and hot, but mostly too high on CO, last time had to change cats to pass emissions.

Hope your lucky with yours..

Well good luck I can't see it being a cat myself as most cars with out a cat well be below 1% and your is way over that In the last mouth we have had 4 or 5 car fail mot's on CO and only one of them was down to the cat the others was Lumbda's

RS RIP
^^ yes it is WAY to high.. cat is not gonna do the trick i'm thinking too

Te last check on mine with the sportscat was 1,2 , had to put back the original cat that time #$&#@
Car was'nt really hot though

browno

ClioSport Club Member
well - current update is that the emissions are sorted and it has an MOT - replacing the coolant temp sensor and the cat (which was definitely mullered) bought the emissions down to basically zero.

Unfortunately, it's had the engine management light coming on since with the error code P0130 (which I think is pre-cat lambda?), but was running okay.

However, on Friday the missus took it to work, and it now runs fine if you thrash it, but won't pull or rev over 1500rpm from time to time. I'm going to limp it in tomorrow so that we can fit a new lambda sensor - but other than that, we're a bit stumped... Anyone got any thoughts - this thing's driving me mad!!!