ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 issues.

BG 182 FF
Hey all went to view a 182, 05 plate, today as I really want a sport after having me 1.2 16v for over 2 years. I saw one earlier this week in a local garage from road side it look stunning and low too. So today after work decided to take a closer look.
First of all i saw one of the two tailpipes hanging lower than the other which I wasn't to fussed about as I know its and easy fix.
Secondly 3 of the alloys are curbed, 2 quite bad, sorry no pics :(.
Then the worst part, i looked inside and omg, on the rear bench it was cover i splodges of white colour gunk, didn't want to inspect any closer lol, plus the glove box area was cover in food like marks etc etc.
Anyhow due to no price on it, I went and enquired its £5995, but one guy said straight away, it need valeting and servicing m8, we have only just got it. Come back tomorrow and speak to one of the sales guys.

Top and tail of it is is 5995 a fair price I know 182's go for more but they are immaculate, but I will see what i can get for mine part-ex.
Basically what would you do, as in prices for my car etc? And is there anything else I need to look for when buying a 182?
Thank you
Nick :)

Clio 182FF
What is the mileage? Might just be that the old owner didn't really clean it etc... and they say when you trade a car in - don't clean it since they'll be able to see scratches etc!

Maybe go and have a look when they've cleaned it up and serviced it? The exhaust hanging low is just the rubber mount has perrished I believe.

There's a buying guide on here somewhere...

BG 182 FF
What is the mileage? Might just be that the old owner didn't really clean it etc... and they say when you trade a car in - don't clean it since they'll be able to see scratches etc!

Maybe go and have a look when they've cleaned it up and serviced it? The exhaust hanging low is just the rubber mount has perrished I believe.

There's a buying guide on here somewhere...

Thanks m8, miliage i don't know yet because the sales guy had the key supposedly and he was out, going up in the morning have another look and hopefully a quick test drive, so just want some tips :), thanks again m8

Clio 182FF
Main things that most people will say you should look for are the cup packs which are:

- Front splitter (black plastic part on the bottom of the front bumper)
- Cup Spoiler (Larger raised/lipped spoiler)
- Cup suspension pack (if the car has anthracite coloured wheels rather than light silver, chances are it has cup suspension).

Even though it's favourable to have the cup packs, the ride is harder and you can add the spoiler and splitter later. Also if you get a non cup suspensioned 182 you have greater (and cheaper) options for susspension upgrades (aka V-Maxx coil overs etc...).

BG 182 FF
It has a cup spoiler and splitter m8, but the suspension looks like coilovers from first inspection but the make is gaz suspension its slammed, and it has the anthracite wheels.
:)

Clio 182FF
May have had the cup suspension before then?

IIRC gaz do make coil overs for the cup packed 182's and they cost around £650 but many say gaz coilies suck so i dunno :S

Take your cam with you and get some pics up so CS can have a look maybe?

Last edited:

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
dont let it put you off go look at it when its cleaned up, my 172 is 100% imaculate but after sitting for 3 months u wouldnt consider buying it from looking at it, just needs cleaned up

BG 182 FF
May have had the cup suspension before then?

IIRC gaz do make coil overs for the cup packed 182's and they cost around £650 but many say gaz coilies suck so i dunno :S

Take you cam with you and get some pics up so CS can have a look maybe?

will try an get some pic's m8, but the main things that were bothering me you have helped with i.e the mess inside. So basically get a valet and service out of them and see the trade in price, if gaz coillies are not to my liking when I get it, I will just buy some others. Thanks for the help once again m8 :)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
a search will throw up loads of threads on buying them but also check the exhaust isnt blowing at the welds or joints as they do when they are about to fall off and the stress of a sagging mount as mentioned could accelerate that wear, as can worn engine mounts

RS Twingo 133
I paid £5600 for mine 3 months ago with 32,000 miles fully cupped and Recaro seats.

One of the wheels was well curbed but other than that it was pretty mint.

Check that you can feel the variable valve timing kick in at 5,500 revs, if it doesn't then you might need a new dephaser pulley and it's a big job that means you're gonna end up spending £600 like I did getting the cambelt changed at the same time! Maybe mine wasn't quite the bargain I first thought!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
thats not VVT kicking in at 5k its just it coming on cam, dephaser wont make a difference at 5k, you will just notice a lack of power throughout the rev range if anything, usually its just noise

BG 182 FF
I paid £5600 for mine 3 months ago with 32,000 miles fully cupped and Recaro seats.

One of the wheels was well curbed but other than that it was pretty mint.

Check that you can feel the variable valve timing kick in at 5,500 revs, if it doesn't then you might need a new dephaser pulley and it's a big job that means you're gonna end up spending £600 like I did getting the cambelt changed at the same time! Maybe mine wasn't quite the bargain I first thought!

Is it like a extra bit of power that i will feel through the steering wheel m8?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
dont worry mate, if vvt isnt engaging it wont feel strong through the revs, once its up to temperature it should pull to 7000rpm without dropping off the power. it wont make any difference at 5k.

although ive never heard of a dephaser "not working" they usually just make mental loud noises!

BG 182 FF
:S i am now confused lol, is it just coming on to the cam at 5k or the vvt? Just wanna make sure I know as much as possible lol

BG 182 FF
dont worry mate, if vvt isnt engaging it wont feel strong through the revs, once its up to temperature it should pull to 7000rpm without dropping off the power. it wont make any difference at 5k.

although ive never heard of a dephaser "not working" they usually just make mental loud noises!

Thanks m8y :)

Clio 182FF

At just after 5000rpm the car should lunge forward and pull harder. It's only slight but noticable and a common thing that they do. Only when up to temperature though. :)

If it doesn't do this then maybe something ain't right.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
its it coming on cam, just at the point where the cams are working at their best and you get a little kick at 5k.

vvt just allows them to fit more wild cams and still have the car idle more normally, thats how you can have such a high reving power band but still fine to drive around town

Clio 182
Nick used to work with Digger?
If it is i will take you out in mine and i will show you it coming on cam but where is it mate?
I paid 4895 for mine 33k on the clock but no cup packs just under a year ago.
There is one at Cars of John Munro at the moment but it is stupid money

RS Twingo 133
Since being fixed my car is noticeably more lively after 5,000 revs and seems to change noise etc.

I took my car to RS tuning for a remap. It made 149 bhp. Paul at RS tuning guessed it was the dephaser pulley. I bought the car home to the Midlands, booked it in at Nuneaton Renault Services and they confirmed it was the dephaser pulley and the cambelt was out 2 teeth. Car felt elctric afterwards, but I haven't yet been able to afford to go back to RS tuning for that remap as I spent my remap money on getting the car fixed. Hoping to get up there in August and see what my BHP is now before and after.

BG 182 FF
Nick used to work with Digger?
If it is i will take you out in mine and i will show you it coming on cam but where is it mate?
I paid 4895 for mine 33k on the clock but no cup packs just under a year ago.
There is one at Cars of John Munro at the moment but it is stupid money
That is me m8 , u know where the windmill is in werrington, i could just meet u there if u would mind showing me m8y, wheneva u have some spare time :)

Clio 182
working all weekend but can find some time after that or at night perhaps both belts have been changed on mine so you should be able to see the difference

BG 182 FF
working all weekend but can find some time after that or at night perhaps

cheers m8, i will give you a pm tomorrow as i will hopefully test drive the one i am after in the morning, and if I am still unsure I will take you up on the offer m8, thank you m8y :)

Clio 182
no probs finish work at quart to 7 if i arent on here get digger to give me a bell
Where is it if you dont mind me asking?

BG 182 FF
the car is for sale in leek brook after the traveller's rest pub on the same side as if you are going to leek from werrington, think the garage is called stanaches or summat like that m8

BG 182 FF
no probs finish work at quart to 7 if i arent on here get digger to give me a bell
Where is it if you dont mind me asking?

the car is for sale in leek brook after the traveller's rest pub on the same side as if you are going to leek from werrington, think the garage is called stanaches or summat like that m8

BG 182 FF
hiya agen everyone just like to say I took the 182 out for a test drive this morning, it was amazing, loved it. So I have bought it :), going pick it up on the 23th of this month, cann't wait just need to get insurance sorted out now. :)

BG 182 FF
more details? millage etc? cup packs?

its black on a 05 plate.
It has a cup spoiler,
Front splitter and anthracite 182 wheels
The guy said he would refurb 1 of them for me because its fair bad.

Done just over 30k, so not to bad on the milage imo.
is lowered on gaz suspension as far as i could see, but the ride wasn't as harsh as I expected to be. I put a deposit down and getting it on the 23rd of this month, just cann't wait :)

Audi TT 3.2 V6
its black on a 05 plate.
It has a cup spoiler,
Front splitter and anthracite 182 wheels
The guy said he would refurb 1 of them for me because its fair bad.

Done just over 30k, so not to bad on the milage imo.
is lowered on gaz suspension as far as i could see, but the ride wasn't as harsh as I expected to be. I put a deposit down and getting it on the 23rd of this month, just cann't wait :)

Sounds good mate. Without wanting to put too much of a downer on it for you, are you aware its due a cambelt around March time? (When ever its 5 years old). Its around a £450-£500 job.

BG 182 FF
Sounds good mate. Without wanting to put too much of a downer on it for you, are you aware its due a cambelt around March time? (When ever its 5 years old). Its around a £450-£500 job.

fully aware m8y, I have said to myself I will save for that after xmas so shudn't be to much of a problem. :) Cheers for the advice though m8, much appreciated :)