ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 cup track conversion

Philip Griffiths

ClioSport Club Member
  182 cup
Hi. Not sure if this is in the right part of the forum. But basically I'm new to clios, but I've bought a 182 cup, my plan is to turn it into and use as a track based car with the odd spin out in the summer and to the ring.

Basically just want some advice on setting the car up. What parts etc should be changed. And mainly what suspension to use?

Are the standard cup suspension good enough? Do I use upgraded springs on standard shocks or so I put s while new kit ok?

Any advice would be great!!

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Try with the standard cup suspension first and see how you get on, but you have plenty of options for lowering springs or coilovers.
A rear anti-roll bar might be worth looking into, along with polybushes.

BG Clio 182
Yeah so I'd personally lower it on something like cooksport springs for a good compromise between cost and functionality. If the dampers aren't fucked use the old ones.

I'd probably get some decent tyres, ns2rs or something and then brakes too.

You'll probably get some fun out of an exhaust and induction kit too. Only nice noises though.

You definitely want to powerflex the dogbone, and upper engine mount insert. Would be my starting places.

rarb is fun if you have the funds.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

New2RS

ClioSport Club Member
I run all the above options and I've stripped the interior. Car is very capable on track until you decide you want to go faster and spend more.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Evol dog bone mount, there is a group buy ;).
I'd take H&r springs over the cooksports.
Some decent 15's with track based rubber, or rsr tyres as a compromise.
Decent brakes. Something like mintex 1155 as a cheaper but good compromise.
And a decent wheel alignment.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
As others have said, run it on track a few times first and see what you want to change.

If you head down the modifying route, I'd sort the car out in the following order;

- brakes
- tyres
- handling (including refresh of most parts and stiffening up - engine mounts etc)
- weight loss
- limited slip diff
- power

1*2s cost a lot to get big power out of, so focusing on how well they "stop and turn" is better first than focusing on how well they "go".

Ps. If you sign up as a member, then there is access to a whole track section etc.

Philip Griffiths

ClioSport Club Member
  182 cup
Thanks for the advice. Really helpful. Think the plan is now

1. Brembo a hc discs with rc5 pads
2. Cooksport springs
3.r888 on 15s
4. Get it light as possible. Already sourced 2 omp seats.
5. General maintenance jobs
6. Get it on track and enjoy it [emoji5]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Cheaper mostly.

That and most people are average drivers at best, do they 'need' coilovers instead of springs??