ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 - Cup spoilers but not suspension

Sorry if this has been covered before - I did search!

I'm looking to buy a car with Cup suspension, either a Cup or a FF with the Cup suspension, and want to be able to easily identify them from the many cars on the market.

I'm aware of the differences in the strut spacing 54mm vs 60mm, but I'm not expecting most sellers to know this, given that many of them can't even correctly identify a factory Cup from a FF with Cup options.

All references to the Cup packs seem to be in the plural, which indicates it was possible to order a FF with one Cup pack but not the other.

Was it possible to buy a car with the Cup spoilers but not the suspension?

FF means it has the packs. Well it should, until people get it wrong.

But yes, it was possible to only spec one of them. They were only £300 options so most took both.

Ah thanks. OK, so we are looking at five iterations: 182, 182 Cup, 182 with Cup spoilers, 182 with Cup suspension, 182 FF. Simple when you know how.

As it looks like Cup spoilers are no guarantee of Cup suspension, I'll have to restrict my search to the Cup, or cars specifically advertised as FF or Cup suspension.

2014 Clio 200t edc
Yes it is, mine only had the cup spoiler pack on it.
The 'tell tale' sign of cup suspension is the anthracite alloys, wheels filling the arches and the ride slightly lower. But these things can and do get changed so It isn't really that easy to tell imo.

2014 Clio 200t edc
I'd steer clear of the cup personally, although it's only luxury differences, the seats in leather, cruise control and climate make it much better to get a 182 either ff or not.
Again only in my opinion.

Ah thanks. OK, so we are looking at five iterations: 182, 182 Cup, 182 with Cup spoilers, 182 with Cup suspension, 182 FF. Simple when you know how.

As it looks like Cup spoilers are no guarantee of Cup suspension, I'll have to restrict my search to the Cup, or cars specifically advertised as FF or Cup suspension.

In theory, yeah. But people have no idea what they have. A quick browse on here will tell you that.

Cup suspension is barely any different and it also gives you less choice if you decide to add aftermarket suspension. Silver wheels look better.

The spoiler is easily added, same as the front splitter.

Buy one on condition/miles/history/price and don't worry about the add ons. Just don't buy a 182 Cup.

Yes it is, mine only had the cup spoiler pack on it.
The 'tell tale' sign of cup suspension is the anthracite alloys, wheels filling the arches and the ride slightly lower. But these things can and do get changed so It isn't really that easy to tell imo.

The height difference is 3mm so impossible to see.

2014 Clio 200t edc
"The height difference is 3mm so impossible to see."

I have to disagree here, I have a non cup suspension Clio which sat high as they all do without it. However since putting the cup springs on the ride is notably lower and rides better.

Clio 182
I've just picked up a 182 with, i assume, just the cup styling pack and not the handling pack. Still seems to handle well though and 3mm isn't really going to make a massive difference is it

2014 Clio 200t edc
Well the cup springs were at least 3/4" shorter than the ones I removed. But it has definately brought the front down more than 3mm. Maybe the original springs I removed weren't 182 springs?

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Didn't Cup springs also add extra track (width)? It did on the 172Cup (20mm extra on front and 10mm on rears IIRC) did they carry it on in the 182 Cup?

Cup suspension is barely any different and it also gives you less choice if you decide to add aftermarket suspension. Silver wheels look better...

Just don't buy a 182 Cup.

Thanks - appreciate the input - but I really like the anthracite wheels and the trim differences between Cup and non-Cup aren't an issue for me. (I am also considering 172 Cups hence a bargain-basement interior is not really a problem.)

From what I'm aware the Cup suspension does make a difference (revised dampers, geometry, wider track), and there's so much choice that I might as well limit my search to cars with these fitted (not looking to go aftermarket).