ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Cup - Bilstein B14s vs OEM & Springs

182 Cup
Hey all,

After some advice - my 182 Cup needs all of the shocks replaced.

OEM Cup shocks are 290GBP landed in Australia. Whilst I'm doing these, I thought I'd go for a set of Eibachs, which will be an additional 220GBP landed (510GBP total).

Comparatively, a set of B14s is 649GBP landed.

This is not my daily driver, however weekend driving on the road only, very few track days. Not particularly interested in lowering for the sake of it, so that's not a driver.

Question: is it worth the extra spend for coilovers? No one near me down here to try the options.

Incidentally, what's the difference between eibach pro and sportline? Aside from ride height?

Thanks!

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
B14 is by far and away the best suspension I've experienced for a road-going Clio.

More compliant and far more comfortable than standard or eibach shocks/springs. And the grip levels were incredible, so much confidence as it felt like the car was planted on the road, rather than perched on top of it.

I had the 'lower' Eibach sportline springs before going B14, they barely did anything.
8601018450_3acd41952b_c.jpg
Clio 172 Cup
by Adam Lister, on Flickr

B14:
14759119412_de32989766_c.jpg
Renault Clio 172 Cup

172 Turbo
I've just fitted B14s and I don't like them yet.

I'd go for the standard shocks and Eibachs. But shop around as I've just quickly found the set up for £365 including delivery to Oz

182 Cup
B14 is by far and away the best suspension I've experienced for a road-going Clio.

More compliant and far more comfortable than standard or eibach shocks/springs. And the grip levels were incredible, so much confidence as it felt like the car was planted on the road, rather than perched on top of it.

I had the 'lower' Eibach sportline springs before going B14, they barely did anything.
8601018450_3acd41952b_c.jpg
Clio 172 Cup

B14:
14759119412_de32989766_c.jpg
Renault Clio 172 Cup
Wow....that sounds unreal.

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
I've got B14s on my Trophy and really like them. Previously I had Mark Fish springs, koni rear shocks and SACHs front dampers.

I would say they aren't quite as plush as my old setup, but they were only £475 delivered and came with built in camber adjustment. I've not had it on track yet but I would say it's more focused than before especially with the RARB .

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I've got B14s on my Trophy and really like them. Previously I had Mark Fish springs, koni rear shocks and SACHs front dampers.

I would say they aren't quite as plush as my old setup, but they were only £475 delivered and came with built in camber adjustment. I've not had it on track yet but I would say it's more focused than before especially with the RARB .

Where did you find the b14's that cheap?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I've had eibach sport/pro, and several manufacturers of coil over. The bilsteins are far and away better than standard shocks with eibach etc.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Are they easy to install and set up? I saw these have been dropped in price on KTEC other day.

I'm considering going down the coil over route

182 Cup
Ah yes, a few members on here got them from there. Bargain price!

Unfortunately the next price in the UK is probably another £200+ :(
Yeah, I think this is Fahrwerkstechnik? I emailed them...their prices are far cheaper, but B14s to suit cup spacing are out of stock for 11 weeks :(

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
B14's are great but really speaking on the road there's not much in it between them and lowering springs like cooksport or sportlines.

Considering the price difference though I think the B14's are a good shot but don't expect night and day difference like some would have you believe.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
But you can adjust the height to suit, where as shocks/springs is one set height. Nothing worse then getting lowering springs and them not going to the height you hoped for.

However shocks and springs "should" last longer. Swings and roundabouts I guess. Depends what your after between the two.

182 Cup
But you can adjust the height to suit, where as shocks/springs is one set height. Nothing worse then getting lowering springs and them not going to the height you hoped for.

However shocks and springs "should" last longer. Swings and roundabouts I guess. Depends what your after between the two.
Fair call...I don't do much weekly driving anyway, so longevity isn't as much of a concern as maybe it is for others. Another tick in the box for bilsteins..

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Hey all,

After some advice - my 182 Cup needs all of the shocks replaced.

OEM Cup shocks are 290GBP landed in Australia. Whilst I'm doing these, I thought I'd go for a set of Eibachs, which will be an additional 220GBP landed (510GBP total).

Comparatively, a set of B14s is 649GBP landed.

This is not my daily driver, however weekend driving on the road only, very few track days. Not particularly interested in lowering for the sake of it, so that's not a driver.

Question: is it worth the extra spend for coilovers? No one near me down here to try the options.

Incidentally, what's the difference between eibach pro and sportline? Aside from ride height?

Thanks!
There is no question that B14's would be much better than replacing the shocks and springs. For the extra £150 there is no doubt about it. Just do it. Make sure you get the right ones (60mm hub bolt spacing on cups )

I have B14's on one of my 182's and also cup shocks and eibachs on the other 182. Also have recent experience of trophy sachs and can say that the B14's are my favourite.

yes get them from: http://www.mk-fahrwerkstechnik.de , me and @dann2707 found this site two years ago and loads have ordered since.

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
£512 delivered for them, how better are they than say ap ktec or vmaxx coilovers I won't mention ta technix ones I think that's a swear word here lol

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
10 weeks..... I can wait that long. The ring trip isn't till end of June......

Best do some man maths.

60mm is out of stock, they can order them, but it's a 10 week wait.

10 weeks..... I can wait that long. The ring trip isn't till end of June......

Best do some man maths.
I believe they are coming into stock towards the end of March, that's what they've told me anyway

I've been waiting since the end of October for a set in 60mm spacing, tbh if K-Tec's offer was on sooner I'd of probably of got them from there, but as I've waited so long I might as well wait and get the from MK