ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Crankshaft on a 172

ClioSport Blue Edition 17
The crankshaft of a 182 it's a bit different from a 172, it is possible to use it on a 172 engine block with 172 conrods and pistons?!?

Megane 225
They are identical and I have done this before. The only differences to the engines are minor details to the air intakes. Take the manifold and rocker cover off and they're identical.

They aren't identical, i have seen a lot of 172 ph2. crankshafts and now i have one from a 182 and it's a little diferent. i will post pictures today.

It should not be different..

should be identical

They are identical and I have done this before. The only differences to the engines are minor details to the air intakes. Take the manifold and rocker cover off and they're identical.

Here's the answer, 172 and 182 crankshafts

09042010669.jpg

09042010670.jpg

like i said before they aren't identical.

S&K

182 cup + Elise
One is rusty, one isn't ;) seriously though if the journals are the same and its the same stroke then you should be able to use either, have you weighed them both ? the non rusty one looks as though its lighter ?

Last edited:
my clio got out from the workshop today with the 182 crankshaft, and it's a bit faster!!
but i haven't weighed, i will do on monday, that is another 182 crankshaft so i can still compare it.

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Is it not possible that the cranks from the f4r powered lagunas, meganes etc... are slightly different to a 1*2's?

S&K

182 cup + Elise
Is it not possible that the cranks from the f4r powered lagunas, meganes etc... are slightly different to a 1*2's?

Yup, F4R engines are not all the same, its the next three digits that denote which type it is

Cranksahft clean is from a 172 phII and the rusty one is from a 182.

i will test my 172 tomorrow on track (amozoc)

'92 172, Lotus Elise
I always thought they were the same too, but after looking back at my photos, they are indeed different! (same fitment though)

172 ph1:

DSCF1487.jpg

DSCF1832.jpg

but to answer the question, i've got 182 bits in a 172 crankcase... seems ok!

Golf GTD Mk7
strange they are different considering it's the same block. Must have been a reason. Knowing renault the 182 one must have been cheaper to make

^
i don't think so, i think that's one reason why a 182 is faster than a 172.
i have installed 182 manifold on my 172 too, i just need a proper ecu software.

Lionel Richie
^you obviously haven't raced a 172 "cup" - it IS the fastest of all phs2 clios in a straight line by a noticable amount, a 182 is no where near as quick

RSTUNER'ED-C&B'ED RS-1
as far as I can see from the pics, yep they are different. I am sure there is no difference in performance-wise comparison. Most probably, different suppliers, different molds or cheaper production techniques.

^^^ As above cup is the fastest since it is the lightest.

Still to me, the best is ph-1 though it looks ugly (I drive one so do not ballistic against me :). Raw + no intermittent electronic details.

Performance variation among the same spec RS's are mostly from the plenum and inlet manifold machining tolerance differences + driver.

Golf GTD Mk7
as far as I can see from the pics, yep they are different. I am sure there is no difference in performance-wise comparison. Most probably, different suppliers, different molds or cheaper production techniques.

^^^ As above cup is the fastest since it is the lightest.

Still to me, the best is ph-1 though it looks ugly (I drive one so do not ballistic against me :). Raw + no intermittent electronic details.

Performance variation among the same spec RS's are mostly from the plenum and inlet manifold machining tolerance differences + driver.

960kg stock I believe whereas the 182's are around 1100kg. Explains why there is such a difference.

Black Gold Trophy
Standard 172cup vs standard 182 - I've never really noticed much of a difference in a straight line, at the end of the day they are both mk2 clios with F4R engines!
Still I'd like to know what the differences in the crankshafts are!

Renaultsport Clio 172
182 are indeed faster that 172 bar the cups.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjwwB9upciw

As for the crank, that came as a surprise. If the 182 is the "heavier" could it be applied the lightened fly wheel concept? 182's pick up revs much nicely and in a better/smoother way compared to 172's. And, the video above simply tells the story, and no driver skills involved as it is a roll test. my car (172) had remap, inlets, 182 cat, remus back box and the 182 only and induction setup, both healthy cars.

89 kg that's a lot of weight for a clio, and that's why a cup 172 is faster than a 182, we are talking about normal 172 ph 2 and 182, not the cup versions.

960kg stock I believe whereas the 182's are around 1100kg. Explains why there is such a difference.

RSTUNER'ED-C&B'ED RS-1
182 are indeed faster that 172 bar the cups.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjwwB9upciw

As for the crank, that came as a surprise. If the 182 is the "heavier" could it be applied the lightened fly wheel concept? 182's pick up revs much nicely and in a better/smoother way compared to 172's. And, the video above simply tells the story, and no driver skills involved as it is a roll test. my car (172) had remap, inlets, 182 cat, remus back box and the 182 only and induction setup, both healthy cars.

That video ^^^ does not show anything related to the topic. 'Modified but how'

MERCEDES CLS AMG
172 / 182 crankshafts are nothing special

They fit the same crankshaft in a lot of Renaults including scenic 1.9 diesels, Laguna's and Espaces.

Part number is 8200037836

53 Clio's & counting
the reason why i decided to fit the 182 crank is because with that fitted on my engine it's a little more responsive and the torque was increased.

How is this possible when both engines give the same cc?

The cranks do look different but i cannot see how it can make the car any faster? Maybe a weight difference would give the same affect as lighening a flywheel maybe?

so you are saying if you change internals it doesnt worth? or always will be the same hp and torque?
182 crankshaft it's better balanced than a 172 crank.

How is this possible when both engines give the same cc?

The cranks do look different but i cannot see how it can make the car any faster? Maybe a weight difference would give the same affect as lighening a flywheel maybe?

more less

pure-motorsport

ClioSport Trader
  Clio 172
The part number for a replacement 172 and 182 crank is the same BUT there are eleven different part numbers that have all been superseded into the number 8200037836 - probably to make it easier to stock for replacement parts.
I believe the 182 has larger counterweights to make the engine quieter and with less vibration - I don't think Renault intended any difference performance wise purely passenger comfort!! BUT, a fully counterweighted crank should also improve reliability with less bearing loading due to less whip and flex but will give more engine inertia with slower throttle response and acceleration.

exactly, that's how i feel my clio now! :cool:

The part number for a replacement 172 and 182 crank is the same BUT there are eleven different part numbers that have all been superseded into the number 8200037836 - probably to make it easier to stock for replacement parts.
I believe the 182 has larger counterweights to make the engine quieter and with less vibration - I don't think Renault intended any difference performance wise purely passenger comfort!! BUT, a fully counterweighted crank should also improve reliability with less bearing loading due to less whip and flex but will give more engine inertia with slower throttle response and acceleration.