ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Cambelt change: need manual/guide

Any of you kind people want to send me a manual/guide for the 182?
I need to change the cambelt and aux belt on my gf's car and would like to have a read first.

Thanks,

Pete

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
and its VERY EASY to get wrong... Freds absolutely right... you cant do without the correct tools.

Any chance of a bit more detail...........my son!

Whats needed? I have several different locking tools etc. I really can't see it being that hard! Its only a cambelt!

Thanks for the help.

I used to have a Renault tech doc on it but since selling mine I don't know where its gone, I'm sure someone on here can send it across to you though I sent it too enough people lol

Thanks for this. I knew the forum would come good.

Sounds like a challenge! Can't wait.

In all seriousness, I know how critical cambelts are, but i've done plenty.

Thinking I might even pull the engine out to do it as it needs oil and coolant anyway.

Cheers,

Pete

Let us know how you get on. Maybe you could do a guide as you go along.....

I wondered about doing a guide but I figured it is such a critical job that maybe if you need a guide you shouldn't be doing it? But on the other hand I believe knowledge is power and what you do with that knowledge you have to take responsibility for i.e. if you use the guide and kill your engine that's your fault.

What do people think?

Renaultsport Clio 172
Personal opinion is, no one will put the same effort you will for your own things!

I have that manual too, and would happiliy try if I can get hold of all the tools. You may spend as much in tools and parts than just taking the car to a garage, but then you could lend those to the community and become a good shepherd!!!!;)

I can do this with the tools I have. Trouble is access with sausage fingers, so the engine out may be quickest way TBH. Don't get me wrong, I am a competent mechanic, I just choose not to do it as a job as I can earn more in other trades!

My only problem is I am tight. Rang local Renault stealer today. Cam belt change ALONE, on an "offer" is £550. I'd rather put it on wrong and nuke the engine than give them that!!!!!!!!!

Lionel Richie
these are the tools in use (thanks to Ben@angelworks)
CWB1_(78)large.JPG

CWB1_(77)large.JPG

CWB1_(41)large.JPG

Renault clio 1.4 16v
just a quick question if you do the timming belt and don't remove the pulleys why would you use tool mot 1509? like it says on procedure 2

just a quick question if you do the timming belt and don't remove the pulleys why would you use tool mot 1509? like it says on procedure 2

Some say ;) you should always do it that way (slackening the cam pulleys) to correctly tension the belt.

In principle I can see their point, no 2 belts will have exactly the same properties. In practise you probably won't see any significant difference in the belts so you'll be fine - and if it's good enough for Renault...

Last edited:
  Renault clio 1.4 16v
Some say ;) you should always do it that way (slackening the cam pulleys) to correctly tension the belt.

In principle I can see their point, no 2 belts will have exactly the same properties. In practise you probably won't see any significant difference in the belts so you'll be fine - and if it's good enough for Renault...

i can kind of see why but iv been reading that guide and the only reason for removing them is to change the seals

Gman

ClioSport Club Member
  Mt10 Zx6r golf tdi
I used to have a Renault tech doc on it but since selling mine I don't know where its gone, I'm sure someone on here can send it across to you though I sent it too enough people lol

If anyone has this i'd appreciate a copy too.......

Cheers for any help in advance.

172 cup & 182
If you splash out on a Haynes Manual for the Laguna with the F4R engine,
Book NO.4283.
It will give details of how to make your own Special tools for a few quid.
I have done Lot's of belt changes using mine.

Clio 172 Cup
Quick question, I was wondering if you ever got round to doing this job? I've got a couple of questions if so.

None :(
Fair play man, your brave!

I just had mine changed, and forked out a fair wack, but not to renault.

I suppose it depends on your own personal trades and interests, i hear people paying stupid money to get pc's fixed etc, which i think its utter crazy! But if u don't know you don't know.

I'm half way through putting on a rs197 exhaust on my 182, and i'm definatley not a mechanic and its taking me ages!!! And i imagine you could do in a half a day ;)

To be fair, its not really a complicated job compared to plenty of other stuff i've done. BUT, I wouldn't reccomend it to someone who has only really done servicing stuff etc.
You do need arms like noodles and fingers like sticks. Neither of which I have. You also need a tool kit to rival Chip Foose. Which I do have!

The timing was actually out a bit and now it runs sweet as a nut! Best its ever been!

Interesting about the exhaust. Mine is rotting away and needs doing soon!

Pete

Clio 172 Cup
Hi Pete

I started mine on friday night, finished last night, and put it back together this morning.

Can I ask what year your 182 is?

The only odd thing I came across was the lack of a key in the crankshaft pulley, I assume they're allowing for vernier adjustment to compensate for any slight variations in the belt? But going on a clamping load still seems brave. Any chance you can confirm this for me?

O and of course the ridiculous lack of access, I ended up dropping the engine off the mounts.

James

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Funnily enough I did it today!

Went easy enough, but it is quite time consuming.

Did mine a few weeks back without the Pulley tool.
Runs fine, that aux belt tensioner pulley is a great design, well done renault. :mad:

Took me 2 days, could have done with some more tools.

Mondeo TDCI 130
Hi Pete

I started mine on friday night, finished last night, and put it back together this morning.

Can I ask what year your 182 is?

The only odd thing I came across was the lack of a key in the crankshaft pulley, I assume they're allowing for vernier adjustment to compensate for any slight variations in the belt? But going on a clamping load still seems brave. Any chance you can confirm this for me?

O and of course the ridiculous lack of access, I ended up dropping the engine off the mounts.

James

A lot of vehicles are like that!!, yours a 172 cup? Should have been done in a couple of hours!;)

Clio 172 Cup
Yep mines a 172 Cup

It was a leisurely pace to be honest. I sand blasted a few rusty brackets and re-sprayed them, plus I did a bit of wax injection around the front end and generally cleaned up the engine bay.

I was really surprised with the lack of a key, I’ve done Honda’s, Peugeot’s, Vauxhall’s, BMW’s, VW’s, Audi’s, all sorts, but have to admit I haven’t come across it before. Took me a little bit of time to work that bit out. Plus the clio does have keyways in both the crank and the pulley, so the laguna must have a key in it.

Last edited:
  Black Gold Trophy
how much are the tools? I was going to do my girlfriends one over the summer, I did the cambelt on my corsa 16V and it was really straight forward apart from the belt cover being a shite design.

My 182 is an 04. I didn't have the pulley release tool either, but you can get away with it. In fact, if you jack the engine up a touch you can lever it with a screwdriver through a hole in the panel where the light comes out.
Hope that makes sense, bank holiday booze up going on here!

The tools for locking the cams and crank are about £40 for laser ones, which are fine and do the job a treat.

Tell you what, you can buy mine off me if you like! Won't need them again!

ITB'd MK1
The tools for locking the cams and crank are about £40 for laser ones, which are fine and do the job a treat.

Tell you what, you can buy mine off me if you like! Won't need them again!

they're not fine at all

FYI the genuine tools from renault are a lot cheaper these days, prob less than half what they used to be

Theres always debate on here as to how hard and technical the belt changes are, and who should do them. Also, the whole tool thing really gets me. If you can demonstrate to me whats the issue with the Laser tools I will eat them. Neither the crank locking pin or the cam locking tool would bend if you put them in a vise and smacked them with a hammer. They both fit perfectly. They both did exactly what they should have done.
The car is running better than ever and therefore its a job well done.

Oh, and final thought for the day: why would the tools bend anyway? They are not supposed to take any torsional force since all they are doing is preventing the crank and cams moving whilst the belt, tensioner and rhs pulley are fitted. When the crank pulley nut is tightened it is prudent (and in the Renault guide for that matter) to hold the flywheel anyway.

No, you shouldn't try and change your bloody cambelt if all you have ever done in the past is unscrew an oil filter and change your spark plugs, but a competent home mechanic could manage no problems with a bit of thought and care. All this scaremongering is quite frankly nonsense.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I'm doing my own this weekend. Saving myself nearly £200.

My mate's a Renault tech, so we've got all the right tools.