ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Vs Vee 255

clio v6
Nice good fun there but a little hard on tyres,, there is an open pit lane croft on the 31st july quite a few of us going,, its a superb track.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
I've never done a trackday before though, so I'd like to start with an airfield day seen as there isn't really anything to hit heh...

Dan

MK1 V6 Lutecia / 197
Hardly chasing the Race car now were we...just going quicker than the other cars getting in the way!

The cup car was away in front and you weren't really gaining on it...

Nice noise though reminds me of mine...

Black Gold with cup packs
I really want a play with a 255 vee, I think I will give it a real good run for its money in my cup! Trouble is I only know of one in my area, and see it very rarely, meet might be on the cards!

clio v6
Hardly chasing the Race car now were we...just going quicker than the other cars getting in the way!

The cup car was away in front and you weren't really gaining on it...

Nice noise though reminds me of mine...

good grief what the hell do you expect,, i said chasing not beating, i am not one of those dreamers who would claim a clio could see of an ultima.

its a clio cup race car, slicks sequential box the wax works i was just happy to keep it in sight for 3 laps.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Vee's are amazing cars, but don't go over the top defending it. As I've said before, it's an aquired taste. I know several people that can't stand 911's because of the light front end and the style you have to drive them in order to get the speed out of them. The same probably applies to the Vee. Saying that those that don't get them can't drive them, is misinformed and a bit insulting. I love Vee's, but I would enjoy driving a Trophy more, but I'd enjoy owning a Vee more.

Mk2 V6, MK1 Track Sl#g
Vee's are amazing cars, but don't go over the top defending it. As I've said before, it's an aquired taste. I know several people that can't stand 911's because of the light front end and the style you have to drive them in order to get the speed out of them. The same probably applies to the Vee. Saying that those that don't get them can't drive them, is misinformed and a bit insulting. I love Vee's, but I would enjoy driving a Trophy more, but I'd enjoy owning a Vee more.

See being like SteVee 6 i have owned valver (williams conversion), 182 and a v6 and i cna say without doubt i love the vee more than any of them purely bcos after 18month of ownership i can really throw it into corners and get the full out of it but a car can only car as quick as your willing to drive it and u just can't say 'mines faster than yours' from a simple play on back roads or on a track for that matter, but certainly not from a drag race

MERCEDES CLS AMG
Last edited:
  MERCEDES CLS AMG

See being like SteVee 6 i have owned valver (williams conversion), 182 and a v6 and i cna say without doubt i love the vee more than any of them purely bcos after 18month of ownership i can really throw it into corners and get the full out of it but a car can only car as quick as your willing to drive it and u just can't say 'mines faster than yours' from a simple play on back roads or on a track for that matter, but certainly not from a drag race

How are you Bayliss - long time no see

Mk2 V6, MK1 Track Sl#g

How are you Bayliss - long time no see

I'm good mate, see you've moved up in the world from a Clio TT

clio v6

now you see you have totally got hold of the wrong end of the stick I am not defending the V6 or any other Renault for that matter they are all a pile of cheap unreliable crap imho.

all I said was the V6 is the FASTEST of a bad bunch,, that’s not an opinion that’s a fact,, a poor driver or a polish merchant will never appreciate what a V6 Clio can do that is also a fact.

that’s why so many V6 owners are brow beat into submission on this site as they know any skally in a shopping trolley will get the better of them, and that’s what got the vee a bad name.

that and the fact that these none driving plonkers are the first to shout super car which is utter garbage,, good car yes but a super car it isn’t. It could only be in the world of Renault that clios have subdivided into 4 groups each slagging of the others car, none being more maligned than the V6.

frankly its bloody laughable, if this is a way to promote the brand then i have missed something, personnally i doubt very much that i would ever buy another renault.

Mk2 V6, MK1 Track Sl#g
well you did say that you where wondering how to word that statement and i think you did it bloody well lol go Stevee 6 lol

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
all I said was the V6 is the FASTEST of a bad bunch,, that’s not an opinion that’s a fact,,

That's a bold statement!

never known a standard shopping trolley to keep up with my V6 yet and i have seen many on track. :rasp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq7wAEqaOok

Nice video :approve:

Just think, if you heel and toed you'd be better balanced and might be able to keep up with me in a totally standard 172 Cup then :rasp:

I'd suggest the reason you've never known one that could keep up is down to the driver? You're obviously talented...maybe they weren't?

clio v6
i may be wrong here so i will go out on a limb,,, i suspect your car is not standard markcup???? or is it that extra special variety i read of once called BOGGO STANDARD.

you know the sort cams , ecu raised rpm exhaust induction etc etc of course all of these mods made the car slower thats why the guy fitted them. LOL

standard cup standard vee same driver and the vee will be quicker even if he uses his heels toes and bottom lip.LOL

just one thing i had a 182 cup my brother had a 182 cup we did many RS days and were identically matched to the point even JT used to laugh about our cars almost towing each other around all day every day.

i got the vee and could only just stay with phil on the first track day,, 4 trackdays and many months later and the vee walks away about 2 to 3 secs a lap.

now i know myself and phil are very evenly matched,, we rallycrossed the same mini for 8 years we kart raced in 100 britons for 3 years and there is next to nothing in it.

this is not about the driver its about the car i can tell you and it is a fact that the vee is the quicker car. the main problem is that V6 clios are very often driven slowly by numpties who insist on calling it a super car and pissing people off.

like you and others i often sailed passed V6 clios in my 182,, 6 of them in one session at oulton including JT who ended up spinning on the grass trying to stay ahead of the 2 black 182s.

its a hard car to learn but very rewarding.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
i may be wrong here so i will go out on a limb,,, i suspect your car is not standard markcup???? or is it that extra special variety i read of once called BOGGO STANDARD.

you know the sort cams , ecu raised rpm exhaust induction etc etc of course all of these mods made the car slower thats why the guy fitted them. LOL

That's why I said 'a standard 172 Cup', not my 172 Cup ;)

Interesting view/experience though...just goes totally against everything I've seen/heard/learnt/experienced over the years. When my 172 Cup was standard, I never had a V6 get away from me on a straight...and that's taking exit speed differentials out of the equation as well. Follow that through logically, and the Cup's quicker due to its far lighter weight.

Or maybe not. Not that it matters...a gnat's co(k seperates them all.

The real shame is that no one's brave enough to let me go out and learn their V6 yet though LOL

MK1 V6 Lutecia / 197
I always thought that there was a second difference in 0-60 times between a 172 Cup and V6 255........thats what my brochures say.

I owned a 172 Cup and I now own a 197 and a V6 230 and having a totally unbiased view and speaking from actual experience, the V6 230 is quicker than both in a straight line.....the end.

And my wife and me have had many regular drags over the years.

Mark have you ever got past a V6 in a straight line would be a better question......I suspect the answer is a bog fat nho and therefore regardless of how light the cup is, though it still has a lower power to weight ratio than the V6, it is definately not quicker......

And we haven't even touched on the torqye advantage the V7 has which you seem to be carefully avoiding. After all torque dictates how fast/ the rate at which you accelerate. BHP dictates top speed and how well you can overcome friction....

So even if the V6 only had 172 odd BHp same as every other 2.0 litre clio, if it has a 50 Ib ft torque advantage I know which I'd rather be in going up a big hill...

clio v6
turn in or direction change entering the corner and the lighter clio will be quicker, and its the big mistake you will see from most V6 owners of trying to match corner entry speed and they loose the back end.

turn in a little slower and just as soon as its aimed at the apex the throttle can be nailed, no wheel spin just massive grip. This is were the vee will win, it will exit the corner quicker and carry that speed all the way down the straight.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
turn in or direction change entering the corner and the lighter clio will be quicker, and its the big mistake you will see from most V6 owners of trying to match corner entry speed and they loose the back end.

turn in a little slower and just as soon as its aimed at the apex the throttle can be nailed, no wheel spin just massive grip. This is were the vee will win, it will exit the corner quicker and carry that speed all the way down the straight.

ok what about b roads im struggling a tad with them at the mo

Clio v6
On b roads just remember slow in and fast out. Make the most of the straights.

Never had any of the wee Clios get near me on a straight. They are just missing something which makes them unable to keep up.

PS. I'm taking about the MK 1 v6. Anything would get past my MK 2 lol

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
lol. I was hell for leather on track at cadwell, And not one thing passed me all day (I'm not counting thr cup racer!) No fairy tale, i mind JT coming up to me and sayin, it's so good to see them driven like that! That again i've raced @ cadwell....3 times and karts/cars since i was 7...Just takes a bit of getting used to.

clio v6
i never really try on the roads just enjoy using the mid range grunt and listen to that awesome sounding motor,, makes a blat along a country lane a real pleasure. :cool:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Not sure on the mk2's, but didn't EVO do a track test and end up fastest in the 172cup?