ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 to a cup

Has anybody gone from a mk2 172 to the cup.? Im getting a bigger second car but want to keep my 172 or swap it for a cup and pay the difference. worth it??

thanks guys + gals

I havent gone from a 172 to a 172 cup but I have a mark2 172 and my sister has a nice new 172 cup and as much as I love the cup, the paint and wheels alone are so nice and what a drive!!! Id rather have the 172 and all the toys :)

Obviously its your own choice but i dont see the point really!

Its not going to be much or any noticable change, apart from missing all your nice luxuries ;)

Quote: Originally posted by brazo on 11 March 2004

The cup blew the 172 and mk 1 v6 into the weeds around Bedford - words of EVO!
Depends how often you go to Bedford lol!!! ;)

You dont have to convince me, I drove a cup around all weekend and loved it, but still wouldnt swop my 172 for one

Remapped derv Golf

Really cant be that different surely. If the pre reg 172 the guy at Renault had offered me hadnt been silver I would have bought it instead of my cup as it was cheaper.

Quote: Originally posted by D-CUP on 11 March 2004

Yeah, what a luxury Xenon lamps and ABS are. Cars are so uncomfortable without them.
Not forgetting your leather seats, climate control (as standard), sateillite navigation (optional....but least you get the option with the 172).

Yes, only the other day I had the climate control in my CUP warming me to a nice 24 degrees C.

And Ill be blown if I can tell whether the side bolsters of my Same As 172 Seats (except slightly lower for better driving position) have leather on them or not when Im sitting in them.

Quote: Originally posted by D-CUP on 12 March 2004

Yes, only the other day I had the climate control in my CUP warming me to a nice 24 degrees C.

And Ill be blown if I can tell whether the side bolsters of my Same As 172 Seats (except slightly lower for better driving position) have leather on them or not when Im sitting in them.
I could tell the difference when sitting in them, honestly.;)

D-CUP we are not trying to sl*g off cups here believe me, when my sis brought her cup down at the weekend she had to fight me to get the keys back!!! :eek:

All that was asked was is it worth getting rid of a 172 for a cup, and for the money youd loose, then no its not....but if you had the cash and the choice of the two, it would be very hard to choose, thats why me and my sis have one of each, so we can drive both and we dont have to choose!!

I love the cup blue and alloys; it’s such a head turner, but also after years of driving hot hatches with no luxuries, I want them too!! :cool:

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by D-CUP on 12 March 2004

You cant tell the difference between Leather and nylon ( or whatever lightweight material they use in a cup), but you can tell youre sitting 3mm lower??

Sorry about your thread getting dirty Pete... I would test drive a Cup before you think of swapping... there really isnt that much difference in the real world. Evo may have said that the Cup blew away the 172 at Bedford, but it also said that the 172 was the far better choice as a purely road going car, being far more adjustable and forgiving on real British roads. If your going to do track days and lots of fast-road driving then get a Cup. There is an exploitable difference between the two cars in that situation. Otherwise stay as you are. Just my 2p.

Not worth changing it - why dont you invest in a little bit of tunage on the 172. 700 snoots later youll have a good 185 BHP due to the de-cat, chip and filter youve bought, decent handling due to the uprated Eibachs youve purchased, and a lighter car due to the weight saving mission you are to embark on below. ;)

The Weight Saving Mission (W S M) - chuck out the spare, G/F, rear seats (its only a second car anyway so you wont miss them) Lose some poundage - you must have a bit of middle age spread for cloosing the 172 over the cup in the first place!!- so lose that. ;) There you have it.

Obviously the best way would be to own a Cup - but itll cost you. The above is the ultimate compromise. :D

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Yeah, what a luxury Xenon lamps and ABS are. Cars are so uncomfortable without them.
The luxury of ABS could of saved the half dozen cups that crashed on here in the last fortnight;)

Remapped derv Golf

Quote: Originally posted by ian 172 on 13 March 2004

The luxury of ABS could of saved the half dozen cups that crashed on here in the last fortnight;)
Would have done feck all for me on the 2 inches of ice

2012 WRX Waggon

Quote: Originally posted by Adamf on 13 March 2004

Quote: Originally posted by ian 172 on 13 March 2004

Would have done feck all for me on the 2 inches of ice
Yeah, but the thicker heat reflective windscreen would have kept u warmer whilst u waited for the tow truck;)

Face it guys if you only have one car, the std 172 is the way to go!

If it is a second/weekend car it would be churlish not to get the faster lightweight version;)

Even though I dont use them, the back seat in a 172 beats the sh*t out of the poxy bench in a cup.

And I like my buttons instead of a knob for the air vents......

I wouldnt bother, I love the creature comforts in my 172 and the difference is not that much anyway. You can make the 172 to be better than a Cup with a few mods anyway and you can keep all the luxuries too. If you didnt already have a 172 then it would be a different story but I dont think it is worth it in your situation. I wouldnt swap my 172 for anyhing other than a Yellow 182 Cup IMHO.

I do agree with brazo tho, if you want a weekend car then you are not too worried about creature comforts, the Cup would be ideal. Thrash it around the track then on the weekend.

Remapped derv Golf

I do feel changing from a 172 to cup isnt worth while.

The 172 was the top of the range and is also the most expensive. Taking its RRP cost into account you would except a few little extras.

Ok taking off the ABS was a total waste of time of everyday driving but some of you act like the CUP is the only car on the road without it. Are there not some valvers and williams that havent got it?

Have 2 mates with Focus Zetecs and nether has ABS as standard. My VTR only had ABS because I got all the options included free.

Still Im pleased the 182 is a hybid of both cars.

Thanks everbody for your input. I kinda new this would start somthing off but luckily my cuz had one in and let me have a blast. It was nice (if a little stingy) but like most of you said it not worth it realy and with the right fram of mind the cup is ok if your constanly ring the neck out of and not bothered about all the extras. I agree the leather in the 172 is mainly for looks. but no ABs is a must as Iv never had a car without it and Id easily fogget It wasnt there after my 172.

172 is a truly great car and as an everyday driver makes sense especially with all that ABS/ traction control stuff. Cup version puts a smile on yer face but best suited as a second car! 182 is an amalagamation of both. Lots of good cars without ABS though (ask Peter Wheeler) and it is not the save all answer that many peeps think it is!