ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 starting problem

Trophy #267
Im wondering if some of you chaps can help me.
For nearly a year now I have had intermittant starting problems sometime starting my 172. It can take several attempts to turn over before finally firing and running fine. It followed me putting in some 'suspect' fuel. Ive ran several lots of redex thru it to clean the injectors to no avail. I have no issues with the car once iots running, just starting.
My car was recently in @ renault and I asked them to look into it. Initially they said they saw the problem but it stopped b4 they could 100% identify the source (they seemed to think temp sensor), they wanted to keep the car overnight and check 1st thing in morning so eventually it got booked in again (while later due to no curtesy car) and i think they just looked at it and it didnt show anything on the ecu fault computer so they have not done owt.
Its now starrting to annoy me as initially they had seen a problem but seem unable to do anything about it unless it shows a fault on the computer. Im an electriclal engineer myself and its great when you have a system which tells you exactly whats wrong but you still need to be able to look and do somehting about it if it doesnt as well.

I havent told them it was following a batch of bad fuel as i would expect them to bill me for it but I have no idea what else it may be. My only other thought would be semi blocked fuel filter or dirty injectors etc but the fact it runs fine and have no issues when u give it some welly would tend to suggest otherwise. Car now done 31k and eng had suggested to me that maybe spark plugs could be issue so im considering changing them early but tbh am clutching at straws.

Can any of you lot shed some light on this ?

when it doesnt start try wiggling the crank sensor plug, as this is quite often the problem. When on clip it will show either red being a current fault, or flashing orange meaning its been a fualt, if its flashing orange renault will tell you theres nothing wrong with it and clear the fault memory.

my 172 has just started doing exactly the same thing in the last couple of weeks, tried redex and that helped for a couple of days but its started up again,some days starts with no problem, others i can run the car fine, stop at shop or summat and it wont start again, takes 2-3 attemps before it will start, so i would also be grateful of some advice on this lol

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Mine did it for ages on my 172 . I changed the battery and it was fine after that .The batteries only have a warranty for 2 years iirc . They are only a pretty low amp battery as standard 420amps , you could try and get a heavy duty battery if it turns out to be the battery .

I've also read people post it could be the immobiliser , when you put the key in leave it a couple of seconds before you turn it , see if that makes any difference , process of elimination i guess .

Imo if it was your spark plugs it would be running rough .

Trophy #267
danlp, any idea where the crank sensor plug is ?
re spark plug, might be so is summert i could try anyway

My other half is having this problem with MK1 172.. Only happened a handfull of times but becoming annoying... Where is the crank sensor?

J

Jim NM

it needs plugging into a diagnistic to identify the fault, could be several things causing this. Battery knackered, faulty coolant temp sensor or connection, plugs, coil pack fuel pump, TDC sensor etc... etc...
You can call a mobile diagnostic person. They are in the phone book, Might cost you around £40 notes to find out what the problem is though.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

ATB
Jim.

Off reading previous posts it seems that these tye of faults are not always picked up on a diagnostic check... It def is nothing to do with battery as the car turns over but just fails to start... It is def some kind of sensor, aint coil pack as had this go before on 172 and V6..

What and where is the TDC sensor andd Coolant sensor? May aswell just change them both myself if easy to get too?

Fuel pump seems to prime no issues so can't see how it can be this...more like some kind of sensor on engine side

wrx-172 said:
Fuel pump seems to prime no issues so can't see how it can be this...more like some kind of sensor on engine side
TDC sensor it will be.
I'm trying to find a picture.

The sensor should give out a reading between 200 and 270 Ohms.

wrx-172 said:
Where abouts is it located? Is it easy to replace? Cost?
Cost is about £10 I cannot find a picture its on the engine and gearbox where they join at the top. there only one sensor there so you cannot miss it.

sorry, its not really visable!! on the top of the gearbox bell housing, there will be a small plug attached to a sensor, i will try and get a pic now... its piss easy to change, its just not dropping the bolts is the problem!

Im far too good to you!
STA70187.gif

STA70188.gif

STA70189.gif

Trophy #267
hmm looks promising, went to renault yet again for 'discussion' with mechanic about whats fault could be having been told they werent gonna change anything if no fault is seen on ecu, he reckoned on TDC sensor so car is booked in (again) week on wed for it to be changed so fingers crossed.