ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 question.

Ryan172

ClioSport Club Member
  Iceburg 172 ph2
can any1 tell me that why some ppl say and claim that the ph2 172 will do 140ish but others are saying that they struggle past 120mph. personally with my car it gets to 120mph no probz but dont get much further in a hurry. is it just 1 of those things you have to live with or is there something a miss. i know they are not the most aerodynamic but hell theres videos on you tube showing a standard car doing 140 easy. like i said just a question that would be nice knowing the answer to.

02 Clio 172
My 172 has done 135/140 (on a track obviously), could be down to variations of each car and general health etc etc. Mines serviced regularly and uses recommended fluids and apart from a cold air feed and induction kit its standard. Try going down hill! :p

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
mine does an indicated 145 no problem, probably somewhere between 135 and 140 mph GPS

311177_1780194645074_1845688483_1239152_433380654_n.jpg

Ryan172

ClioSport Club Member
  Iceburg 172 ph2
Do your cars seem to struggle to get there or has it done it easy ?? Only ask because mine seems to struggle it's had
New platinum plugs new timing belt and dephaser new air filter oem and the valve timings spot on. I've done a diagnostic check and comes back clear. I may try a compression check. It keeps up with other 172's to around 70mph never gone any faster with others though. Any suggestions would be appreciated if any1 can think of any.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
lol @ keeping up with other 172s until 70, my ph1 hits nearly 70 in 2nd gear! from a rolling start thats like a 5 second blast!

mine pulls to 140 pretty quickly then starts to tick up one at a time every 10 seconds lol

Ryan172

ClioSport Club Member
  Iceburg 172 ph2
lol @ keeping up with other 172s until 70, my ph1 hits nearly 70 in 2nd gear! from a rolling start thats like a 5 second blast!mine pulls to 140 pretty quickly then starts to tick up one at a time every 10 seconds lol
Well looks like I got a problem then if they should shoot upto 140 because mine really struggles past 120mph. Acceleration below this isn't the problem it's on par with others just top end it's shite so it looks like I got some investigating to be doing !

Evo 8 MR
Get it on a rolling road and ask them to do a top speed run, it should hit the limiter in 5th easily.

If it's running out of grunt or struggling there's definitely something up.

I'm just waiting for the thread

"My 172 got to 140mph, now i'm banned"
or
"Had my 172 a few weeks and its written off" :lolup:

clio 172
lol @ keeping up with other 172s until 70, my ph1 hits nearly 70 in 2nd gear! from a rolling start thats like a 5 second blast!

mine pulls to 140 pretty quickly then starts to tick up one at a time every 10 seconds lol

this quote made me laugh! :rasp: what does he do like do 140mph all the time? but yeah this is sounding like an 18 year old talk ! How about starting ' my penis is bigger than yours' or 'my Dad is harder than your dad' lol

Listerine & Poledo
I'm just waiting for the thread

"My 172 got to 140mph, now i'm banned"
or
"Had my 172 a few weeks and its written off" :lolup:

it is unavoidable, it is your destiny

*no link for Emperor on death star clip*

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
this quote made me laugh! :rasp: what does he do like do 140mph all the time? but yeah this is sounding like an 18 year old talk ! How about starting ' my penis is bigger than yours' or 'my Dad is harder than your dad' lol

my car pretty much does over 140 every time its out!, which is only once a month right enough!

Ryan172

ClioSport Club Member
  Iceburg 172 ph2
Cam timing correct?

Yeah pretty sure it's right I changed the dephaser with the timing belt and I can get the camshaft locking bar in with a bit of a wiggle and the crank locks in the right place. Havnt got any running problems as such and I put it in diagnostic in work 2day and theres nothing logged :(

Ryan172

ClioSport Club Member
  Iceburg 172 ph2
By the way I'm no 18 year old idiot. I'm a 21 yr old fully qualified mechanic looking 4 some help and advice as I have no experience on this engine and flying blind using my knowledge and autodata. I just want to get it sorted, I'm not trying
to make enemy's on here and I've never written of a car in 4 yrs.

Ryan172

ClioSport Club Member
  Iceburg 172 ph2
did you use the pully locking tool?

No my boss told me I won't need it because I'm changing the dephaser pulley. It engine times up ok and the locking tools go into place with a lil wiggle for the cam bar. By the way thanks for helping ;)

Ryan172

ClioSport Club Member
  Iceburg 172 ph2
The tensioner pointer was set and has kept at the right point on the tensioner it's been a few weeks since I've done it
Now and only checked the timing 2days ago.

Ryan172

ClioSport Club Member
  Iceburg 172 ph2
You do need it, whats the tensioner like? e.g where is it pointing.

Would you suggest checking the timing again with the cam pulley tool and adjust it slightly. It feels to me that one of the cams is ever so slightly out maybe half a mm or a mm cause I need to give a good wiggle to slot in all the way, I've read they should just slot in.