ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 P1 wont start, won't even try and turn over.

Was working fine.

Left it parked up for 45 days.

Now when I turn the key I get some clicking noises (like a relay?) from the passenger side, the oil light and the engine light pulse. I disconnected the battery and tried again but got same except the needles which had been 'flicking' themselves when I tried to start, stopped doing this. One time when I tried the multi CD player went spastic.

Doesn't try and turn the starter motor even.

The alarm is working ok.

I'm suspecting this is an electrical fault.

Like I said car was just parked up.

Should I disconnect the battery for longer? I just did it for 2 mins and pressed the brake a few times to get rid of current.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Is this not the most basic of problems, all sorted with a pair of jump leads?!

Do schools not teach initiative any more?

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Was working fine.

Left it parked up for 45 days.

Now when I turn the key I get some clicking noises (like a relay?) from the passenger side, the oil light and the engine light pulse. I disconnected the battery and tried again but got same except the needles which had been 'flicking' themselves when I tried to start, stopped doing this. One time when I tried the multi CD player went spastic.

Doesn't try and turn the starter motor even.

The alarm is working ok.

I'm suspecting this is an electrical fault.

Like I said car was just parked up.

Should I disconnect the battery for longer? I just did it for 2 mins and pressed the brake a few times to get rid of current.

I'm suspecting its a flat battery...

Is this not the most basic of problems, all sorted with a pair of jump leads?!

Do schools not teach initiative any more?

I'll try this tomorrow. I'm wondering why it won't even try and turn over though, plus what was the weird ticking, lights, the spastic CD player? Never had that with flat batteries on other cars.

I've not had much luck. As mentioned a few days ago it at least had power to do the locks and turn the lights on. Today I tried jump starting it using jumper cables and my mates car, got nothing at all. Now nothing, no lights, no red immobiliser light even. I check the fuses I could find (engine bay and inside the car) but found no burned out fuses. I'm worried now I messed up connecting the jumper properly and fried everything I don't see how I could have done that though? I've tried disconnecting the battery a few times now, fiddling with buttons, no luck.

Ok I think I might have connected to the wrong side of that 120A fuse near the battery terminal? Can anyone offer advice?

Last edited:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I'd just bite the bullet and get a new battery - even on the RS Clios they aren't a lot to buy. Mine gave up the ghost pretty much with the same results as you mentioned initially. It was the original battery to be fair and 8 years of use was good going as far as I was concerned. :)

Got a tow home, then a lift to an auto-factors to get a replacement. Dropped it in and she fired up like nothing was wrong.

Definitely do the battery swap method first.

D.

I'd just bite the bullet and get a new battery - even on the RS Clios they aren't a lot to buy. Mine gave up the ghost pretty much with the same results as you mentioned initially. It was the original battery to be fair and 8 years of use was good going as far as I was concerned. :)

Got a tow home, then a lift to an auto-factors to get a replacement. Dropped it in and she fired up like nothing was wrong.

Definitely do the battery swap method first.

D.

Thanks. I did just that and it WORKED. Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.