ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 or Nissan 200

CLIO172, BMW3, 3061.
Would you get rid of a 172 for a Nissan 200?

Just thinkin about it. Quite like them.

Ur thoughts?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Depends what your after i suppose.

I prefer a fun little car for B-road blasts. If I prefered drifting/drag then a clio would be useless!

Evo 6, E92 320d
I've been reading up alot over the past few months, my fave is the s14a, kuro black. They don't seem to have many issues, a few common niggles which are easily sorted. The best spec is the touring which has leather interior, alot on the market are autos as the manual is more preffered, depends what you would use it for really.
I've wanted one since before i could drive, i remember seeing a blue one with rota gtr's and a blitz nur drifting out of my side road, i was in love:eek:

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Both totally different cars. You possibly couldnt get further at each end of the scale. What do you want?

I had a 300bhp, Kuro black S14a -

mycar01.jpg

Straight lines and a sx is very very quick. To get it to handle is expensive.

54 plate, Arctic Blue 182
200sx are lovely cars, worked on them loads as a mate is in the BDC championship.

Solid cars with alot of power, get a 14a or 15 below that they are old and begin to rust!

Main issue is VVT rattle and turbo manifold gasket tends to blow as the exhaust isnt supported well enough, this can be replaced for about 40/50 quid but takes about 4 hours and is a pain but with 2 peps not too bad.

check out www.sxoc.com as there are lots of guides etc on there.

like already stated 2 different scales, I went for the clio as its just small and fun but the 200 is a bit of a holligon and can hang its arse out all too well :)

54 plate, Arctic Blue 182
as far as im aware they have one cat,

normal mods are

decat and straight through exhaust, tublar manifold,
induction kit
Bren device
and a free mod to release some more PSI to the turbo :)

thats all my mates had done and was killing most things and kept pass with a r34 GTS which is about 250/280 bHP

all cheap mods and do-able on the drive!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
They have two cats yes. One in the front pipe and the main cat. Simple mods, full exhaust, filter, plugs and raised boost takes them to around 270bhp. FMIC and Remap and your looking at 290ish. Then its injectors and bigger tubby time.

Its very cheap to get power from them and with them being rwd less trans loss means it'll see off most jap tubby's in a straight line.

As for the tubby gasgets, i did mine in a few hours and i didnt know what i was doing.

PH1 Clio 172
Not exactly like the same as you but similar, i had a Subaru before my current ph1 172, and although the Clio isnt anywhere near as powerful (Scooby was 330bhp ish) i have to say getting shut of the big Jap car for this smaller 172 is the best thing i ever did, like you the Subaru was cheaper to insure for me than the 172 (dont quite know how that workds tbh) but i havent looked back since!

From this:

Subaru.jpg

To This:

Clio.jpg

Clio FTW!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Dont compare SX's to other jap turbo's though. They considerably less to run, just as quick if not quicker and cheap to insure.

The only question to be answered here is what the op wants from a car. As they are both brilliant. Just both ends of the scale..

PH1 Clio 172
I wasnt comparing other jap turbo's to the SX's i said i had a 'Similar' decision and was just giving my thoughts; that imo i would prefer the Clio (which is what he asked) i have driven a few SX's and yes they are fun cars, very fun infact i almost bought one before i bought the Subaru. and yes they are much cheaper to run. My vote still lies with the Clio though. Definatley a much more fun car to drive (off track anyway)

ITB'd MK1
I'm on my 3rd s13 now. Great fun but definitely an enthusiasts car that you need spannering skills yourself to own. Not such a fan of the s14/a but they have their benefits.

The s14 has 1 cat, the s14a has 2. the s13 can legally run no cat as there's never been any emissions figures given to VOSA so they run pre-cat limits.

clio sport 172 ph2
I'm on my 3rd s13 now. Great fun but definitely an enthusiasts car that you need spannering skills yourself to own. Not such a fan of the s14/a but they have their benefits.

The s14 has 1 cat, the s14a has 2. the s13 can legally run no cat as there's never been any emissions figures given to VOSA so they run pre-cat limits.

not quite true, early S13's have no cat, later ones (say the 1994 S13) do have a cat iirc

Tav

Clio 197
200SX ... eeeek mind the rust! Friend just bought one and it's very ropey. Apparently they have issues with the sills. Having sat in it I'd say it just feels like it's made for long distance cruising on the motorway, doesn't strike me as being particularly sporty.

200sx s14a
this is mine
2008_0719july2008ebay0050-2.jpg

2008_0719july2008ebay0047.jpg

how much have you got to spend im looking to sell mine in the not to didtant future! its a uk 2000 x reg with manual gears and 64k miles on it. running stage 1 mods with fmic. does anyone know what sort of price they are going for now a days?

Mountune Tractor
Unless you drive the 200 like a grandad it will cost you considerably more in fuel than the clio would. Having said that my mate used to own an sxoc car, think it was an s14a in the foresty green colour with stage 2/3 mods and it was an absolute BEAST. The noise it made was incredible and it never had a problem embarrasing M3s, Porkers etc etc

Was a 197
if ur not gonna do any engine mods, then as 172 is the car for u, BUT if ur thinking of modding then i think u'd be better suited to a 200sx, regardless of which model u go for as the list is endless to what u can do to them

Also, cuz their japanese, they'll be ultra reliable too like someone had already mentioned

200sx s14a
Is that the case though? You see a lot of them going cheap because they have engine problems iirc.

no they are a really reliable car, i have heard of a few that people have tried to modify that have gone wrong but oinly because they have upped the boost to much on the standard turbo or not ran cold enough plugs when modified and also not running the car on 97 ron or better when the car running stage 1 mods with a remap 97+ ron is essential unless you want a good case of det

320d
I'd go for the SX. May aswell have a change, if you don't like it you can always come back to a hot hatch.

Tav

Clio 197
Just because it's Japanese doesn't mean it's reliable. They are getting on a bit and there will be plenty of worn out components that'll need changed at some point.

ibiza cupra
alwayus had a soft spot for the 200s but clios are so much fun so i would be in the same situation as you.

which dosent really help you does it lol.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
^^ this

I'd say a 172 was generally more reliable TBH

Than i 200? No chance!

The SR20DET is on a chain so no cambelt. Standard internals can take up for 400bhp as can the gearbox. The only thing you got to do is change the fuel pump and plugs before you do anything! Jusst make sure they are serviced up and the cam spray bars are clear yearly.

The standard brakes are a bit crap as is the standard suspension. This is where money needs to be spent first. Getting power from them is silly easy part..:)