ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup with climate?

E90 320d M Sport
Hi there,

I'm not really sure which Clio 172 to go for lol.

I drive about 50-60 miles a day to work down bumpy B roads and was thinking 172 all the way for comfort,kit etc.

Really like the colour of the Cup though but I really need climate for the summer months as I suffer badly with hayfever.

Is it worth paying the extra premium when buying a cup with climate? Is there honestly a real difference between the 172 and 172 Cup?

Is adding climate going to add much weight and spoil the whole idea of the car?

Thanks.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Here we go again.

Just buy whichever you want. Both great cars, but if i was buying my last 172 again i'd buy a cup.

172 Cup
I picked up my 172 cup with climate yesterday, couldn't go back to withpout after having a 182 FF with all the toys! I do genuinely think it's worthwhile, though there's only I think ....106 172 Cup's with climate, so it could be difficult to find!

I went for the cup because of the turinis really and weight difference, though again having had a 182, I do miss the alacantara seats!

E90 320d M Sport
How much do the seats weight? Are they easy to find from breakers etc?

In terms of 0-100 stock speeds, whats the difference between the 172 and 172 Cup?

Glacier White 200
Ive had both a 172 cup in silver with climate and a 172 sport in silver. For the type of journeys youll be doing youd be silly to get the cup as its the more track focused model. The 172's sport on late 53 and 04 plate were fitted cruise control and given the stiffness of the clutch on these cars youll really appreciate it when you have to do the tiring journey home. After owning both i would take the sport everytime simply for xenons cruise control climate nicer seats and less road noise due to better sound proofing and glass. After remapping it and fitting a panel filter the 172 sport was just as quick as the cup and a nicer place to be.

E90 320d M Sport
Cruise control would hardly be used as I would be constantly turning it off and on due to the road and the ammount of traffic on it.

What is the handling like on the standard 172?

I'll be coming from, pretty much, a go kart lol.

I do like the kit in the 172 though.

Is there much difference between the two in a straight line?

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
sod all difference in a straight line and sod all in the twisties in general road use. certainly nothing that some springs wouldn't sort out (apparently!). so go with the one in the best condition imo.

Focus ST
Just buy a normal 172, 172 cups with climate control are odd ball imo.

CC is just a bonus i think, I only went for the cup because of the colour/spoiler

Unless you're the stig i doubt it'll make much of a difference?

E90 320d M Sport
I'll go for the standard 172 then.

Is it 60k / 5 years for a timing belt change on these? How much does it usually cost?

BMW E46 330i Touring
There's something about the normal Ph2 172 that just doesn't look 'right'. Change the wheels and stance slightly and they can look great.

For longer driving, I can see the appeal of the 172 for the toys. I'd have the Cup everytime, though.

E90 320d M Sport
There's something about the normal Ph2 172 that just doesn't look 'right'. Change the wheels and stance slightly and they can look great.

For longer driving, I can see the appeal of the 172 for the toys. I'd have the Cup everytime, though.

Yeah I agree, think the cup looks far more sportier.

172 to an untrained eye looks like a 1.6. Works well as a sleeper I guess.

I intend on putting some cup alloys on it :)

Thats what Stevie Wonder said when he was chatting to David Blunket about his clio choice iirc.

E90 320d M Sport
I like the seats in the standard 172 though lol.

Don't get my 3 years NCB until beginning of April so it sitting on the drive doing nothing for a month would tease the hell out of me lol.

320d
If I got a cup and it had climate control it would bug me a bit that it wasn't a proper cup, it will only add around 20kg's but it would just annoy me that they tried so hard to lose weight inc the thinner glass etc to go and slap 20kg of CC in.

However for everyday practicality, well in the 3 days of british summer when your on a motorway so can't put your window down, just wishing you had AC, I would definately consider one with CC.

BMW E46 330i Touring
I find the normal blowers fine when you're travelling at speed, and I'll have my window down at anything less than 40 anyway.

I miss air con for demisting the windows and that's about it. Have only ever had 2 cars with air con anyway.

E90 320d M Sport
If I got a cup and it had climate control it would bug me a bit that it wasn't a proper cup, it will only add around 20kg's but it would just annoy me that they tried so hard to lose weight inc the thinner glass etc to go and slap 20kg of CC in.

However for everyday practicality, well in the 3 days of british summer when your on a motorway so can't put your window down, just wishing you had AC, I would definately consider one with CC.

My commute route is mainly rural, past fields full of maze.

A/C is a must!

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member

PMSL, do you honestly think that 20kg would have any noticable effect on performance!?

E90 320d M Sport
Haha.

I don't hang around with porkies anyway ;)

What would you say a max price would be for a 172?

It seems they are around the 3.5k to 4k mark and then 182's to 4.5k???

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Outskirts of Telford.

Which part fella, I'm over in Trench, and there are a few Cups doing the rounds around Telford.

I always wondered if I should have bought a 172 proper, but then if I'd bought a 172, I would have wondered if I'd have been better buying a Cup...so you can't win.

Plus, there is Four Ashes down by the A449/Gailey Island who can get you the parts from another car or slightly cheaper than a dealer's prices.

Go with whichever you feel would suit you better, although the Cup hasn't got the ABS or ESP, if you like your toys, you won't like a Cup...I came from a 306 with A/C and I've not really missed it apart from a couple of weeks or so a year! :evil:

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
You think your manly enough for a cup, but are afraid of a little pollen TUT TUT :quiet:

Astra SRI/ Hornet
The cup and ff172 are more different than some people think, there is def a difference in performance with a sweet cup, it's alot twitchyer when going for it aswell, just more focused which is the whole point. Listen to Tupps he couldn't handle a cup so sold his. LOL

E90 320d M Sport
I'm in St Georges mate.

Quick question, is the suspension on the 182 FF + cup packs the same as the 172 cup?

Cheers.

Renault Clio Sport 172

Untrained eye ?? you'd have to be Stevie Wonder to not spot any difference from a standard 1.6 and a 172 Sport , what about the deeper bumpers , xenons , seats come on , its far harder to spot the difference between a Saxo VTR and a proper VTS , I've got a 172 and its quite rare round my parts and I regularly get people asking about it and staring but I will say one thing whatever you do buy mate just make sure its a Clio and an RS model and you'll be well chuffed .