ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 CUP Track or Road Car?

BMW M3
Looking to get a 172 Cup to have as a dedicated track car but I am unsure what exactly to get. Am I better off getting a stripped out car that has already been modded and tracked or a reasonable standard car and strip / mod it myself. Most mechanical work will be done by a garage. I am looking to do this on a budget, and was looking to spend £1000 - £1500 in a standard car to then strip and mod over the coming year. Am I better spending 3k now on a modded one which might have seen a tough life on the track and might not be as mechanically sound?

172cup
I am doing the same but don't want an out and out track car. I opted for buying a 172 cup with good history and the lad had already started overhauling most of the parts that wear - suspension/bushes etc. tyres and brakes are next, then I ll look for a rear cage - remove back seats. Then just need two buckets and harnesses. I ll leave it at that and just replace mechanical parts as they fail.

Modifying a car for track use when you're paying a garage to do it can work out pretty expensive - and you rarely get your money back when you sell the car.

Cheaper to buy an already modded track spec car in my opinion.

Just bear in mind that track spec cars can be hard to sell on because it's a limited market - so avoid anything too expensive.

RS Clio 172 Cup
For me the fun is modding and seeing the difference throughout ownership but if that's not your thing you will save £££s buying one already done.

£1000 - £1500 will get spent on handling alone easily

BMW M3
Thanks for the opinions, think I'm going to try and find a good road car which is mechanically sound. Strip it and enjoy. Mod as and when

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Look for one that's already been done as most of the cost is in the labour which you'll avoid. If its had belts done recent then thats a bonus.. Might sell mine but not sure yet.

Last edited:
At that budget you're probably going to have to spend to get the car mechanically sound.

New dampers, brakes, cam belt etc etc

Make sure you've got another £1500 in your back pocket and you should be ok.

BMW M3
At that budget you're probably going to have to spend to get the car mechanically sound.

New dampers, brakes, cam belt etc etc

Make sure you've got another £1500 in your back pocket and you should be ok.

I was budgeting for new brakes, cam belt and possibly a new dyspher. There appear to some reasonable ones for around £1800 atm. Just trying to be patient

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Track cars are usually well maintained. I know i wouldn't thrash my car round track if I thought there were any niggles. Especially brakes and suspension. Pay more for one that has had belts done.

Clio Cup
I paid £800 for mine (though its not finished yet) - Cat C

Got £350 back for the wheels and tyres on it - £60 for the interior so it earnt me money back to spend on some of the mods i have done and am doing

This place is great for the occasional bargain its well worth the £12 memebership

And dont discount phase 1s , there was one in the Classifieds the other day for £700 and if id had the cash id have bitten his hand clean off

RS Clio 172 Cup
I was budgeting for new brakes, cam belt and possibly a new dyspher. There appear to some reasonable ones for around £1800 atm. Just trying to be patient

I paid 1800 for my cup. Good condition 57k but needed dephaser and belts which were another 560

172cup
I paid close to 2k but had had a lot of work done to it - new tyres, cooksport springs, new dampers and recent service. Plus new brakes but changing pads, carbotech xp8s due to get fitted. Mechanically it is sound, body work has a few niggles but I hint it gives character!!