ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Track/Fast Road car.

Yes and no LOL

If you already have an oil cooler you've probably got a mocal one
With those I believe you have to drill and tap a new hole - or you can buy ones off ebay that have a couple of 1/8th holes for sensors and the 2 big holes for the oil cooler take off

Trafic 140dci
Yes and no LOL

If you already have an oil cooler you've probably got a mocal one
With those I believe you have to drill and tap a new hole - or you can buy ones off ebay that have a couple of 1/8th holes for sensors and the 2 big holes for the oil cooler take off
would probably buy a new sandwich plate as me drilling and taping holes is an accident waiting to happen for me lol.

although i am looking at the idea of a pro race 2 dash next year which has both gauges, as i'll need to do something with the dash warning lights for an MOT :/

I took my dials apart and put black tape across the engine management lights lol

Mines going in next winter to have all the renault wiring removed, race 2 dash fitted.. etc..
Just hope it goes through the MOT in march!

Trafic 140dci
I took my dials apart and put black tape across the engine management lights lol

Mines going in next winter to have all the renault wiring removed, race 2 dash fitted.. etc..
Just hope it goes through the MOT in march!
i thought about this but didn't bother, because when you turn the key's the lights come on anyway before starting, so surely the MOT tester will see this and think "oh the lights aren't there, must be a problem" then again if your's passes in march i may not bother with the dash and get some tape! :p

I'm just going to explain that it's running an Omex ECU and not the standard Renault one so some functions don't work as per normal.

If it doesn't pass it'll be getting a dodgy MOT - silly law anyway. What does an engine management light have to do with safety?
ABS not functioning I could understand

In the spirit of starting the new year as I mean to go on - I spent new years day in the garage (after the hangover had warn off)

Managed to get the aerocatches fitted with Leah's help

Riley gave me a spare bonnet so I marked up the drivers side on that and got chopping. Once I was 100% happy with how it sat I made a stencil and copied it onto both sides of my bonnet
2 hours of sweating/shaking later and I'd cut the bonnet up, fitted the catches and drilled a new hole for the passenger side bonnet pin

I know a lot of people just fit the bonnet pins in the existing holes - but I don't like how then the aerocatches sit on the curved line of the bonnet and don't sit flush.
Here's the pics.. I'm over the moon with how it looks. I've been dreading this job for 3months so I'm glad it's over

IMG_6805.jpg

IMG_6803.jpg

IMG_6802.jpg

IMG_6806.jpg

Sorry the pics aren't the best - it was actually nearly pitch black in the garage so took these with my flash. It's a bit harsh

Also got a picture of my new steering wheel - a proper RenaultSport sabelt jobby

IMG_6807.jpg

And took a proper non-iphone pic of my new gauges

IMG_6812.jpg

Next weekend I'm gonna get the car back up in the air and go around and make sure everything I've had off in the last few months is tight. Then fitting a seat and going for a test drive - I can't wait!!
Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I'll fit my oil filter sandwich plate with sensors and get the gauges wired in too - just in time for the ClioSport Lincs meetup :D

Next month I need to get an airbox/filter fitted, fit my PTFE gasket, and get the engine oil changed.

Yeah - I wish it was a bit quicker but Christmas is heavy on the wallet LOL
Be glad to get the seats in and get the car out on the road - looking forward to the Lincs meet... take it for it's first ever thrash round the bypass with no filters LOL!

Nice. Very surprised you havn't got one of them seats in yet though :p

I was tempted to throw one in yesterday - but I've not checked the torque settings on anything and I've had subframe off, engine loose, manifolds off, wheels off etc.. etc..
So I calmed myself down with some Xbox LOL

Saturday morning I'll get it on axel stands - torque everything - bung up the old petrol carbon canister vent pipe - fit a seat and go for a play :)

Where have you mounted the pin to then? Do you have any pics as I like how flat yours sit tbh! I'll be using my faithful old nibbler when the time comes to fit mine.

Sorry mate never thought to get pics - I'll do that tonight
The drivers side one is in one of the holes where the bolt used to go for the slam panel
The passenger side one I had to make a template from the drivers side and flip it over and drill a new hole to match - as the passenger side slam panel bit is longer

Hard to explain - easy to see in pics :)

i need aerocatches in my life. i take it you have taken out the standard way of opening bonnet?

Yep - the slam panel isn't there any more as the trumpets for the bodies get in the way - ripped out the bonnet release leaver and cable - binned them :)

BlackGold 182
lmao yea, but i take it the reason for them is easy access and quick access, by having to find the key and unlocking it defeats the object?lol

lmao yea, but i take it the reason for them is easy access and quick access, by having to find the key and unlocking it defeats the object?lol

You what??? LOL

They definitely aren't easier or quick - they're a pain in the ass.

The reason for them is they are stronger so the bonnet won't fly up on track but MORE IMPORTANTLY I can't have a slam panel because the throttle bodies are in the way - and without a slam panel there's nothing holding the bonnet down hehe

IT'S BACK ON THE ROAD!!

Well yesterday was the day - got up nice and early to work on it with Leah helping (she's amazing)

Ran the wiring I needed for the oil temp and pressure gauges - they both work perfectly. It's really nice knowing when the oil temperature is high enough to start giving it some welly rather than guessing
After that was done we put the dashboard back together, then cleaned all the tools and crap out the inside that have been in there for the last few months, and then fitted the seats

They went in fine - had to make a few mounting points for the harnesses as I have left the cage out for now until I can get it all painted

Swung on everything I could think of to make sure it was tight then nervously jumped in and went for a drive

Quick run to the petrol station, no kangarooing, everything working right - drove really well - so then hit the bypass for a bit of a blast
For some reason the rev counter went a bit funny above 6k but it cleared itself up and hasn't happened since

It pulls well but no quicker than it was before I don't think and smells of petrol. Every time you lift off it bangs LOUDLY
So popped in at G&G Motorsport to see my good mate Phill. He took it for a drive and said it's running too much fuel but also too much ignition advance and it was knocking - Doh!

So he took some fuel and ignition out of the map just using the wideband as a guide and it now feels a lot better - it's starting to get snappy and pull really well

Next thing it needs is a proper remap on the rollers - but I'm trying to decide whether to buy cams for it first ;)

Only issue we identified is a puddle of oil leaking from it everytime I park up from the sandwich plate that I fitted for the sensors
I'm hoping this is just a case of needing to tighten the oil filter on a bit more

Needless to say I'm bloody chuffed to bits though - the noise is nice and I suspect when I'm not running s**tty cheap sock filters and it's mapped properly it's going to be an awesome little track car for this year :D

My mate who runs G&G is a legendary mapper and luckily his unit and rolling road is less than a mile from my house LOL so it'll be going there

I'm just really tempted to put catcams in it before I pay to get it mapped
It needs a cambelt and dephaser anyway (I can hear my wallet crying again LOL)

172 cup
Nice to hear its back on the road, might aswell go the whole hog now mate as it needs belts anyway. Get some cams in there and get it mapped

Aye, I know a lad that works at catcams now so I might give him a ring and see what he thinks would work well

They've cancelled our overtime at work now though so I don't quite have as much free cash for the clio LOL

Still need tyres, airbox, filter, inside painting. It never ends LOL

Sounds really good and i'm sure it must of been nice to take it for a drive after the work, If the cam belt need doing then I would go with a set of 421's and ARP bolts. That way you can raise the rev limit. If the dephaser needs doing aswell have you thought about going for non-vvt cams and then that gets rid of the dephaser? Obviously it depends on how you plan to use the car in the long run. This is the spec I have gone for with mine and should know what power figures it makes by the end of the week when it's been on the dyno :)

Mini update

Had a bit more of a play with the ITB's - tweaked the idle and my god it's perfect now - just sits at 950rpm instantly
I also remembered I'd had a little play with some options to make sure it wasn't running lean for first start - which might have been what was making it rich now LOL (the downside of building a car 3 months before you drive it - you forget the stuff you've done)

So I put a lot of the settings back to how they were when I got the kit and checked the wideband - instead of showing hugely rich all the time it was starting to show some really nice mid 14 numbers.. So I couldn't resist - jumped in and went for a drive

Noticed instantly it's not popping and banging as much on casual driving. Let the oil get warm and then went for a play - MY GOD IT SHIFTS, it's seriously starting to get down the road like a scolded cat LOL

Off to eye up filter options at autosport international this weekend. Reverie are there so I'm hoping to wangle some money off a full carbon airbox!! :D

Trafic 140dci
Glad to hear it's running better now, i remember when i drove my car away from TDF when mine were first installed, couldn't believe the power, was smiling the whole way home.

Mini-update

Bought an NGK narrowband lambda sensor which I'm gonna fit at the weekend as it would appear my Omex does have lambda control programmed in - hopefully that will make it a bit more economical on idle/low revs

Need to move my Wideband Controller to under the car so it can go in the 2nd hole and then the narrowband is going in the first hole

Also bought a bargain K-Tec 182 mani -> 172 exhaust decat link pipe. It was only £70 delivered instead of £102 from K-Tec and can replace the horrible bodged together decat I've got now

I'm also going to buy a sports cat next month and cut the connectors off the DIY link pipe and weld the sports cat in.
That will give me a decat for tracks that dont mind the noise and a sports cat for the quiter ones and euro driving :D

Bought a pipe to connect my oil catch tank - so hopefully I can drive it now without my eyes watering. And also bought a metal plate and some sealer to block off the old carbon canister breather

Sunday is the Lincs meet so I'm gonna go for a bit of a back road blast afterwards with my GoPro running and make a little video