ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Track/Fast Road car.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Hi Phil, nice to meet you and look forward to seeing it at Combe complete with some shiny trumpets! :cool:

Yeah was nice meeting you too mate

I have the fun job of fitting the 182 manifold this weekend before I can start with the bodies LOL
I'll hopefully be doing combe march/april though - can't wait :D

Rang up renault in Lincoln today to order some parts as my company frown on us having personal post delivered to work *sigh*
Exhaust manifold gasket, inlet manifold gasket, o-ring for the VVC actuator, throttle cable - they wanted £76!!!!

Gave Tom from Wests Renault a ring - same lot for £49 delivered
No idea how he can do them so cheap but saved me a fortune - just hope the postman doesn't dump them all in the garden in the rain like most of my post to home :(

340i
LOL, why does the Company frown up on you having post delivered to your work address?

I have EVERYTHING delivered to my office.

It's taken WAY too long but I finally got my Brands Hatch videos uploaded to youtube
Open pit day I did with the renaultsport lads back in September

It was the first time I'd used the gopro on my roll cage and to be honest the angle is too wide in 720p mode so excuse me and the girlfriends heads in the way LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Car looks really good and I'm sure you'll love it when you get the ITB's on :) Did they not mind you not having covered arms on the trackday? MSV are normally strict for these kind of things! Good luck with the fitting them :)

Brands Hatch they didn't care at all - which was kinda handy because it was a very warm day
Every other track day I've done they've insisted on having arms covered... weird

Well - had an epically productive day with a couple of mates round

Got up at 8.30 (kinda excited about it all) - put the car on the drive about 9.30 after everyone else had woken up
Took the subframe off - fitted the 182 manifold (the fitting guide on here is SPOT ON) - fitted the dodgy welded decat pipe that came with it (horrible fit but only temporary) - put the subframe back on and done for 12.30 :D

Had a break for a cuppa and some sausage butties and then one of my mates insisted we had a crack at fitting the throttle bodies (he's a workaholic!!)

Keeping nice and calm and logical everything went fairly well to be honest and well... I'll let the video do the talking

:D

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Nice job! 3 hours for subframe out and manifold swap is good going on the driveway. Must have had luck on your side with all the bolts:)

They were a right pain. I soaked them all in wd40 for 20mins first but the front two only came half out then started seizing. Luckily that was enough to lower the rear and get the manifold in :D

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Nice, glad it all went well didn't try the method I did to fit the manifold then lol

Cheers mate

Oh also to those people who say a 182 manifold on a 172 will hit the ARB and vibrate - utter nonsense
I got the 182 manifold without the "dent" in it and there is a little over 10mm clearance between the manifold and the ARB - with the solid mounts on my engine and powerflex lower engine mount there's no way it's hitting. I'm fairly convinced that the people that suffer with rubbing/vibration must be running very old engine mounts!

340i
Cheers mate

Oh also to those people who say a 182 manifold on a 172 will hit the ARB and vibrate - utter nonsense
I got the 182 manifold without the "dent" in it and there is a little over 10mm clearance between the manifold and the ARB - with the solid mounts on my engine and powerflex lower engine mount there's no way it's hitting.
I'm fairly convinced that the people that suffer with rubbing/vibration must be running very old engine mounts!

This!

The few I have seen with the manifold knocking / vibrating on the ARB all had knackered GB / dogbone mounts.

Just because I'm a bit of an ASW - heres a shot of how it looked on Saturday night.

Photo%2005-11-2011%2018%2007%2018.jpg

I've tidied up all the wiring now
My to-do list before it goes for mapping currently looks like this

- Buy and fit a polo 1.4 radiator and slimline fan.
- Wire fan to omex
- Cut out all the old engine loom that's now no longer needed
- Find an airbox and filter for the bodies - buy it and fit it
- Buy and fit catcam 422's
- Buy and fit new cambelt and dephaser pulley
- Buy a 182 oil strainer plate for the cam cover - fit it
- Buy a new style K-Tec coil pack bracket and mount coil pack on the side of the engine. It won't fit on the top because of my strut brace
- Prep and paint the interior
- Wire up the innovate wideband and fit gauge to dashboard
- Buy and fit an oil sandwich plate with pressure and temp gauges. Fit guages to dashboard
- Buy and fit a pair of Bimarco Futuras

Looks like being a fun winter LOL

340i
I don't believe the 182 oil separator / breather its on the 172 cam cover... slightly different fitment IIRC.

I looked at a few different threads with people talking about that - but I thought Matt at TDF said they all have the same bolt pattern - but obviously the breather that pokes out the top is different so they won't fit into the inlet

I obviously don't have the inlet anymore so as long as the bolt pattern is the same it'll be fine.

I don't believe the 182 oil separator / breather its on the 172 cam cover... slightly different fitment IIRC.

Just so you know - you're right

I got a pic of one off the car and checked it against mine - the left hand 3 bolts are in a different place..
Gutted TBH - that means to get rid of that unsightly bloody carbon canister vent I'll have to swap my cam cover for a 182 one too..
Something else to add to the list

172/1.2/E30
You can't just swap the cam covers, they need to be matched to the cylinder head as the upper cam bearings are integrated into the cover. I'd just keep the vent open/place the coilpack on it.

DAMN IT

I can't put the coilpack over it as then it gets in the way of the strut brace

Oh well I guess I'll just have to see if I can chop down the standard one so it doesn't look so horrible :(

Gah nothing's ever easy

The coilpack bracket hits part of the old inlet mount on a 172 - so I spent an hour filing the corner of it down to make it clear. Then I chopped the breather oval off - mounted the coil pack and it still hits the strut brace

I had a go at mounting it without any of the spacers - and it still wouldn't fit

Back to the drawing board...

172/1.2/E30
I've seen coilpack mounts that attach to the gearbox side of the cylinder head. TDF supplied them iirc.

Right - done a bit more in the evenings but the garage is cramped so not a lot of progress

Fitted the cable throttle pedal and cable
Cut the oval connector off the breather plate and made a template that I can cut out of sheet metal and glue over the hole
Connected up the vacuum pipes to the master cylinder
Put the wideband lambda sensor in the exhaust
Tidied up the wiring as best I can - the omex loom is s**t - the wiring to the VVT actuator barely reaches and the wiring to the injectors is about a foot too long LOL. Definitely going to be getting a new loom made up next year
Re-located the coil pack to the side of the engine - just waiting for a bracket from K-Tec to come in the post

Also ordered the polo/seat radiator and a couple of solderless throttle nipples so I can get the accelerator pedal working this weekend LOL

Did a cold start test tonight

Really happy with that - no throttle at all and it starts up quickly and ticks over smooth as silk :D
Sounds so much nicer now all the vacuum leaks have been bunged up (LOL)

Can't wait to get the full weekend working on it - should have everything done then on the engine bay pretty much - just the interior to spray over winter

BMW M5 & E36
Looking good. It all clicked when Chris told me he'd sold the ITB's/Omex. Glad they went to a good home!

Re the plans above. Cat 422's are no good on a standard bottom end, the piston pockets aren't deep enough and standard compression ratio doesn't suit. 421's are the choice for standard bottom end/CR.

That said, I know who'll sell you his high comp, forged engine with 422's already in. 220/230hp dependant on rollers, very healthy. Mapped by Phill too.

Haha yeah I couldn't say no when Chris offered me them - don't come up often locally

Cheers for the advice - to be honest I wasn't planning cams but with the belt and dephaser needing doing I might as well fit them and save on costs

I couldn't really justify the money for high comp and forged bottom end etc... unless it was silly cheap
I'll have a look at getting 421's for my current engine

What sort of power do 421's with bodies make - 200ish?

BMW M5 & E36
Yeah you should see 200 easily enough with the 421's in too.

TBH though, if I were you, I'd do the belts/dephaser, knock the 421 idea on the head, and put that 5/6/700 or whatever they cost into fuel/tyres/trackdays. You'll get plenty more smiles doing that than you will with another few hp!

Yeah I must admit with how well the bodies are running on this map - the cams are £600, plus fitting, plus mapping.
I think I might just spray the interior, buy seats, then spend the extra money on some sticky tyres and a few days at anglesey :D

Feirny - I've already spoken to Chris about his seats - I think he's breaking his Cup in the new year and I'll be popping back over for his seats, subframes and steering wheel LOL ;)

Yeah I must admit with how well the bodies are running on this map - the cams are £600, plus fitting, plus mapping.
I think I might just spray the interior, buy seats, then spend the extra money on some sticky tyres and a few days at anglesey :D

Feirny - I've already spoken to Chris about his seats - I think he's breaking his Cup in the new year and I'll be popping back over for his seats, subframes and steering wheel LOL ;)

Haha good man, he's tried selling me everything on that thing!