ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup steering noisey (when cold)

Hey

Had my 172 cup for about 2months now, only issue is that when starting from cold the steering is noisey!; however there is no negative effect on the steering.

Is this something not to worry about?; or a sign the powersteering pump is on way out? powersteering fluid is fine by the way

cheers, luke

182/ 172 Cup
Both mine have always done this, I brought my 182 on 39k and it did it and it ls now on 80k and still works fine.
My cups on 38k and also does it.

I wouldnt worry.

Someone told me that bleeding the system might help but I don't no if this is true?
And I'm not sure how you do this.

Cheers

Kris

renaultsport clio172
take the drive belt off first and start when cold and see if it still does it. i had the same problem, i tried changing the power steering fluid but didnt help, then started it with the belt of and it still did it! turned out to be the de-phaser pulley.

Ouch, if its the dephaser pulley? then thats a big job right? and im correct that cannot be left as it may snap??

172DD Cup
when you start it, put it on full lock for a couple of seconds (no longer) and listen.
a normal steering pump will be quiet with the steering relaxed, and whine when on full lock.
my guess is that yours whines with the steering relaxed, and when you put it on full lock, it will sound no different.

because that's what mine does :)

172DD Cup
i meant held on full lock. the whine you get when held on full lock, does it sound the same when turning? i think either way it would be the pump that needs replacing, or you can live with it. if you replace the pump, you have to replace the aux belt too.