ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Stage Rally Car

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Bit more progress tonight, rear cage fitted except for b pillar stand offs as I havnt got the welder here but I will do them with the tig when I do the seat rails.
Also managed to get the dash lower in. Would like to get the dash top flocked but will see how much it is and how quick they can do it as I can't put the rest of the cage in until thats fitted.
DSC_0409.JPG

DSC_0410.JPG
DSC_0411.JPG

Has anyone got any black fibreglass or plastic rear quarter panels or a dxf file of them so I can cut my own out?

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Sorted a bit more wiring, tidied up the crap where the alarm was bodged, rejoined them and put proper heat shrink on the joints.
Decided I havnt got the time or spare cash to get the dash top flocked so started to get the rest of the dash back in.....until I couldn't find any more of the screws. They must be in the other garage. Mounted the epas ecu too ready to be wired up.
DSC_0412.JPG

Hopefully get some more done over the weekend.

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Looking good! That shifter, non standard shifter? Also how was the epas column to fit? Any tips

Epas column was quite easy to fit as had no dash in at the time, getting the screw in the top of the epas ecu was probably the hardest part as I forgot to fit it before putting the dash back.

The shifter is a scenic special that I bought on here last year.

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Latest update.
Finally got the brake caliper seals and link pipe from AP. Not the best service but got there in the end. All reassembled now so hopefully fit them on Thursday.

Today's lunchtime job was to make the adaptor plate to be able to use a ph2 fbw throttle body on the ph1 inlet manifolds.
Just quickly trial fitted it and I think it will be good. Just need to put a bit of gasket sealer in the tops of the countersink screws as the seal on the throttle body just goes over the edges.
Will give the throttle body bit of a cleanup and refit it, the screws will just need to be shortened slightly as they bottom out through the adaptor plate.
DSC_0413.JPG
DSC_0414.JPG
DSC_0416.JPG
DSC_0415.JPG

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
The ph1 TB is cable operated and the ph2 is fly by wire.
The mounting hole positions are slightly different on then too, that's why I made the adaptor plate with the 2nd hole pitch rotated slightly so it can bolt on.

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Not much to update as I've been ill with a throat infection.
Managed to get over to the garage for an hour or so tonight and got it up on axle stands.
Fitted the dogbone mount, exhaust heatshield, cat, lambda sensors and the gear linkage. Linkage just needs minor adjustment, but will wait until mate pops round to help me sort that.
Will get an exhaust gasket and new clamp on the way home tomorrow as I've misplaced the ones I had.
Want to get the handbrake cables, fuel tank and guard, then the rest of the exhaust on next with a new powerflex bush to fit into the rear hanger too.
I've booked it into EFI in Runcorn to be mapped on the 4th may.
As much as I would still like to do the rally on the 8th may, it's looking unlikely after being stuck in bed last weekend. I still want it finished as soon as possible though, and I'm looking at doing a rally at Weeton in June instead.

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
4 ish he said. Will probably finish work at 3, then drive up (or trailer it if not taxed by then)

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Back at it again tonight. Trial fitted the fuel tank to mark where to drill the hole for the fuel line. Also drilled and clipped the rear brake line too before refitting the fuel tank and fibreglass tank guard. Started to run the fuel line into the engine bay too.
Bought a new odyssey battery and cage as well as some more fittings and hose to complete the lines to the rear calipers including new handbrake cables. Once they are in place, the rest of the exhaust can be fitted.
Also got the gearbox oil too so I have got plenty to keep me going over the weekend.
Hopefully get it running at some point.
DSC_0430.JPG
DSC_0431.JPG

Would love to have a bigger garage and 2 post ramp as it's not the easiest with the car just on axle stands with a couple of feet extra around the car.
I must like a challenge.

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Busy afternoon after wasting a couple of hours trying to get the correct handbrake cables after the 1st set were too short but a trip to eurocarparts in Chester managed to get some.
Once back I fitted them, refitted the heat Shields, then fitted the rest of exhaust including fitting a powerflex bush into the rear hanger.
DSC_0432.JPG

Whilst under the car, I looked at how to fit braided brake lines to the rear beam.
I used an existing hole in the floor for the bulkhead fitting and attached the line from the hydraulic handbrake.
DSC_0439.JPG

Mounted a T piece in the middle of the beam and attached a hose up to the bulkhead fitting. Then made and fitted 2 hoses to go to each caliper and fitted with banjo bolts.
DSC_0437.JPG

DSC_0436.JPG

Just need to bolt on the front calipers and hoses and the braking system is complete.

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Nice work mate!

What route have you went for getting the fuel line in the bay?

Drilled a new hole inline with top of pump, hose comes out, down behind cage bar, along side of drivers sill, up into scuttle area, through black removable scuttle plate, round strut turret, joint to fuel sample point, out of that an loop round to fuel rail. Will take a pic next time I'm across there.

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Today's top news........it's alive!!

Temporarily put the new odyssey battery under the bonnet, and tried to start it. No go, solid red light.
As I've stripped a few cars, stuff must have got mixed up. The key and ecu were matching as the central locking was working, so I had a look in my garages a d couldn't find another ecu that worked. Quick text to my mate who's car I broke last, and he had an ecu there. Plugged that in, tried it and straight away the fuel pump was priming. Once fuel was up, it started straight away.
Left it ticking over for a while then gave it a few blips and it seems sweet enough.
Happy days!!
Started to smell a bit though as it was getting warm, the exhaust paint/wrap was sorting itself out which is to be expected.
Just need to get the front brakes on and finish them off, fit a seat and it's drivable. Hopefully this weekend.
Looking forward to getting it mapped next week now. Need to get it to my mates unit first to get it tracked as the wheels are way out at the moment.

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Been in the garage again today and fitted the front brakes
DSC_0448.JPG

Filled the system with fluid and started to bleed it. Pedal was fine. Went out for a bit, came back and the pedal went to the floor. Bit of a puddle under the passenger flexy. The passenger hose must be goosed. Had an issue with that one when the brakes were removed, but I couldn't see any damage, and it tested fine with 6bar air pressure so it's weird to get a pedal then it fail when it's sat doing nothing.
Annoying thing is, I had popped out to demon tweeks and if it had done that before I had left I would have just bought more hose and fixed it. Now I have to wait until Tuesday as I havnt got a long enough piece of hose left.

New Piaa air horns fitted
DSC_0447.JPG

Finished routing the fuel line, then fitted the rear extinguisher nozzle and routed the pipe for the front nozzle but I need to make a bracket to fit that.
Also fitted the autolec and extinguisher pulls to the scuttle panel and into the cabin.
DSC_0446.JPG

I have put a standard battery back on it, and secured the ecu ready for its mapping and rolling road session.

Other issue I have is the indicators and hazards don't work so I will have to look into that too.

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Small update. Popped across to get some rubbish out of the garage and just thought I would try a different hazard switch and the hazards and indicators are now working.

That's all the electrical stuff now working. If I can get another bit of braided hose to sort the brakes, fit a seat and harness, I could hopefully mot it when I get the tracking done.

Looks great mate, count yourself lucky you have a garage you can get the car in at all!

How much fuel line did you buy? and the same question but for your brake lines?

just about to change my copper brake lines to braided and run my fuel lines inside the car also :)

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Busy day today
Tweeks was open today so popped and got some more braided hose. Replaced the front leaking one and it seems to have bled alright so happy days.
Wipers now fitted.
Bonnet on, and fitted new locking aerocatches. This bonnet is a bit tatty so may respray it or wrap it.
Front bumper, number plate and lights now fitted properly too.
DSC_0449.JPG

Side skirts refitted
DSC_0450.JPG

Will be glad when it's outside as it desperately needs a clean from all the dust and crap.
Rear discs cleaned up and wheels fitted.

Need to torque the front hub nuts tomorrow and stick some wheels on, line the tracking somewhere near (I think I will have to pull the column off to reset the splines as the rack centre isn't correct with the steering wheel spline), stick a seat in and it can drive out!! Heavy steering though as I havnt finished wiring up the epas yet.

It's going to my mates garage Wednesday evening to have the tracking done. Mapping and rolling road on Thursday.

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Looks great mate, count yourself lucky you have a garage you can get the car in at all!

How much fuel line did you buy? and the same question but for your brake lines?

just about to change my copper brake lines to braided and run my fuel lines inside the car also :smile:

It's the mother in laws garage, only 9 doors down from mine though. Can't get a car in my garage.

It's probably 4m fuel hose, and 8+m of brake hose. My fronts are only braided in place of the flexy hose. Rears are full braided from m/c.
Copper is a damn sight cheaper!!

Looks great by now !
Love the ph2 rear bumper on !

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

Thanks. It's a ph2 car, but with ph1 rear lights

It's the mother in laws garage, only 9 doors down from mine though. Can't get a car in my garage.

It's probably 4m fuel hose, and 8+m of brake hose. My fronts are only braided in place of the flexy hose. Rears are full braided from m/c.
Copper is a damn sight cheaper!!

Thanks. It's a ph2 car, but with ph1 rear lights
Thanks for the reply mate!

Was to impatient to wait so ordered 14 metres of an-3 and 6 metres of an-6, think i may have some spare, although accidently order quite a bit of non clear coat an-3 so that will be used inside the car and the pvc coat outside the car haha.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
The hose itself isn't too expensive, it's the cost of all the fittings that adds up.

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Almost ready to drive out the garage.
Temporary drivers seat in (had to jet wash it as it was grotty so it's a bit damp. It's from a base model ph1 scrapper at my mates garage.) Need to adjust the gear selector slightly and bend the heatshield as it's rubbing.
Steering wheel fitted. Just need to rough set tracking, drop the front down, torque the hub nuts and drive it out.
If I get chance I will fit a harness and it can be mot'd then I think.
It's insured now too.
DSC_0451.JPG
DSC_0451.JPG

I have got FG Doorcards, but not fitting them until the glass had been out the doors to have the window film fitted.

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Gutted!
Had to postpone the mapping session.
Drove it out of the garage and onto the trailer. Took it to mates garage and did the tracking. Just gave it a quick blast on the estate and the clutch is slipping.
Tried resetting the adjuster and no different. Even tried the coke trick incase it was contaminated and still no different. Havnt got time to do anything else so it will have to go to EFI another time.
Just annoying as it's the clutch from my old car that's only done 2000 miles. I will have another look tomorrow evening.
It's out of the garage now so I can at least give it a wash. It needs a proper detail really, but it will still have some scratches etc but I'm pretty sure I will add to them when it goes rallying.
DSC_0452.JPG
DSC_0453.JPG
DSC_0454.JPG

Love it to be just a cable problem but that's wishful thinking and I will have to change the clutch.
Gutted.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Looks great. A shame about the clutch, a bit of a paint to change after you've completely put it back together again!

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Yeah it's pissed me off a bit as that setup was spot on in the old car. I've either made a mistake or the clutch has been contaminated.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Time for a proper 7.25 clutch, my findings are the likes of the standard Valeo or Helix paddles dont cut the mustard. On rally slicks especially up hill starts the clutch would slip slightly coming off the line causing excess heat and the pressure plate warps, might be better on standard flywheel as more of a heat sink but i have a TTV so that may be contributing slightly.

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Well I picked up a new Valeo clutch from Chester on the way home from work yesterday. I didn't open the box while I was there, but did when I was stuck in the races traffic only to see that it had been previously fitted. Wasn't happy with that, so called into the Wrexham depot on the way home but they didn't have one. Lad there was really helpful and doesn't live far from me so said he would drop another one off today on his way home. He checked the box of the 2nd one and that's been fitted before too!! Whats going on with these clutches!!
Not too bothered as I'm not changing it until next Saturday and he will get me a new one before then.
Stuck an old 3 point harness in it today and took it for an Mot and it's passed!
DSC_0458.JPG

So when I got home I though I would do a few bits so I fitted the front part of the cage.
DSC_0457.JPG

I trial fitted the new passenger seat in to see how much space I've got.
Not enough space for the plumbed in extinguisher behind it so that is being mounted in the back. Also got my codriver sat in it so we could set the footrest for him.
DSC_0456.JPG

DSC_0459.JPG

I'm also going to mount the Odyssey battery on the back of the footrest too.
Will tax it later and take it to work sometime this week to do the odd job and measure up and cut the seat rails.

Attachments

• DSC_0457.JPG
    DSC_0457.JPG
    172.7 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
  dan's cast offs.
i take it you got the clutch from euro? some of the branches are awful to say the least!!

what was up with the other clutch in the end?

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Yeah from euro.
I can only assume it's contaminated or something as cable etc all seem good.
I can drive it ok normal, it's only heavy load that makes it slip.

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Yeah very odd Carl, but new clutch and hopefully happy days

Yeah sure Dan, once it's finished and mapped etc

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Fitted the new clutch this morning and there is much happiness! !
Can't wait to get it mapped and finish wiring the epas and have a proper blast in it.