ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Riding High.Heeelp!!!

172 Cup
Hi.

Is it poss some kind person out there with a STD Cup could get a measurement from the wheel arch to the top of the wheel rim please?

Just had a local garage replace the front springs on a 172 Cup. Now it looks like it's riding too high on the front.

The springs they fitted were from Euro Car Parts. They list the same spring for a std 172 as a Cup. This isn't right is it?

Gotta be honest, i really wish i changed them myself. Don't trust garages at all anymore!!:mad:

Cheers guys

PH1 V6
cup suspension is different so as fair as i remember the springs should be different not the same as the standard 172! the cup springs are slightly shorter. get on to your garage and make a fuss n get them changed if i were you.

PH1 V6
really? i always thought the cup pack had a slightly lower stance and stiffer setup?

perhaps im wrong tho

Quick pic from Google,

944.jpg

A (what looks to be standard height 172)

74583499.I6WjtQUs.jpg

To the OP - you'll have to let the springs settle down too, that'll probably take a couple of weeks.

really? i always thought the cup pack had a slightly lower stance and stiffer setup?

perhaps im wrong tho
Cup pack(s) etc refers to the 182's.

Pug 205 gti
give it a chance to settle an it will drop down a bit, or fly some f***s into the garage an get them to put cup springs on it

172 Cup
Cheers for the help fellas.

I should have checked the ride height before it went in. What a muppet! Had half an idea this was gonna happen. Even stressed to garage if in ANY doubt just get the springs from Renault.

Will compare to that photo when my Mrs gets home with the car.

If anyone has that measurement it'd be very usefull.

Thanks again

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Almost 100% sure 172 and 172 cup are not the same, there is a guy who used to be on here, but not got a clio anymore i think...

anyway he snapped a spring on his cup, need it to get 2 and from work and could afford replacement til next pay day or something but got a standard one, for free somewhere (i think he ment standard 172) and it was not the same, gave the car a weird stance as it was higher on one side at the front and he said the handeling was intresting!!! So if it was a 172 spring then this shows they aren't the same.

Last edited:
13cm on mine (original springs). they might settle a little, as said

not really tried all that hard, but i've not found pattern 172Cup springs yet. i think the ones ECP do are for the std Sport

the Renault springs are well over £100ea by the way - still can't believe they're that expensive

Artic 182
cup springs are only 3mm lower.... Its the spring rate that is different.

The ride height is due to them being new and needing to settle

172 Cup
Thanks for all the replys, very helpfull.

It may well settle but it does seem to ride a softer too.

Still trying to decide what to do.

Seem to spend half my time arguing with these kind of people coz they don't do what i ask (and pay) them to. Getting too old to be stressing about this kind of crap. Cost £284 to change springs and top mounts.

It's my girlfriends car. It only went to the garage coz she's sick of listening to me swearing and chucking spanners around the garage!

Just wanna keep it nice and standard.

Wouldn't mind that arch to wheel measurement if anyone gets the chance. Want to cover all bases before i go back to garage.

Thanks again people.

Dave

172 Cup
Cheers cupwizard. Going for Renault springs i think.

Has your got std suspension or are you running the Eibachs? Std wheels as well?

Could i ask a favour from you over the weekend please...Any chance you could run a tape measure down from the wheel arch to the top of the wheel rim please? :D

Going back to carage on Monday and get em to do it properly! Want to be armed with all info if poss.

Thanks again

RenaultSport clio 172 CUP
I have a 172 cup. The front does ride high. In fact, it looks pretty odd when sat next to a regular 172. Don't know the actual measurement as I'm at work and car is getting new shoes... Any chance the old springs were not original, and sat lower than STD?

Anyway, if it is sat too high, the new set can't be regular 172 springs, cos they sit lower than the cup.