ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup replacement - 5dr meg 225

172 cup
I've had 3 Renaultsport clios over the years, all 172 cup's and I've loved driving every one of them! As times gone on and I've 'grown up' I've managed to blag the family car off on the wife and keep myself something I like driving.

Unfortunately, the arrival or our third (and last) child meant the clio's been in the firing line. I managed to protect it throughout the pregnancy with excuses like 'I only use the clio for work' or 'we only need one family car', but now the nippers 9 months and she's going back to work, the Cups days are numbered!

Compromise isn't always a bad thing...

Luckily for me, Renault decided to produce a 5 door Megane 225. Ta da;

image.jpg2_1.jpg

image.jpg3_1.jpg

image.jpg4_1.jpg

image.jpg1_2.jpg

It's a 2006 megane 225 with both lux and Cup packs. It's done a few miles, but is very tidy and had a fair bit done recently (that's my cup in the background). Its deffo got the lux pack, but was sold to me as a non cup. It has everything the cup pack had except the red callipers (traction stays off over 30, springs, grey options etc).

So far I've removed the stickers/fake carbon fibre and for the eagle eyed, the side exit exhaust has been replaced with a standard system. It sounded very nice, was quiet at 70 and was well made, but I can't live with the empty holes it left in the rear bumper...

Long term plans...keep it standard looking, sort the niggles- mainly a slight miss on idle (injectors) and an intermittent abs light and maybe a remap.

Compared to the cup, its a different animal. The pros are that the Megane is more refined, less twitchy, a little faster and a fair bit more practical. It feels a lot more stable in corners and I'm loving driving it. The cons are its not a Clio Cup, its not as exciting and you don't feel as much as you do in the clio...but I'm sure ill cope...

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
A handsome beast :)
Silver calipers are just nicer on certain colours - this being one of them.

172 cup
Cheers guys. Couldn't understand the side exit either, the holes left in the rear bumper mixed with the sound of the thing made it seem like the exhaust had fallen off. Was quite loud:

http://vid695.photobucket.com/album...grey/17ACC737-AAA2-4004-AFD0-7F6685657481.mp4

It's now on ebay. I'm fitting a standard exhaust today, but as its one piece, I've got to drop the axle. They also chopped the end off the flexi pipe so that needs welding back on too!

172 cup
Had a day off today, so decided to swap the exhaust. Spotted a few other bits that need doing whilst rolling about in the garage; engine mounts being top of the list. Also spotted that the cars fitted with ebach springs and Sachs shocks so certainly looks like the car had the cup pack box ticked at the dealers...

The offending exhaust (and sticker)
image.jpg1_3.jpg

Standard vs wierd
image.jpg2_2.jpg

Ta da!
image.jpg5_2.jpg

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Quite like the exhaust in a track slaggy kind of way. Really like the car, very nice colour.

172 cup
Had a go at sorting the headlights and bumper fitment - the gaps were all wrong. The support brackets turned out to all be loose and a few clips and bolts missing so replaced/repaired where poss. Couldn't see any signs of accident damage, just looks like its been poorly refitted after removal to access headlights and intercooler. Found the remains of a HID setup and nothing of the original Renault gubbins. Its been converted to normal H7's so brought a couple of high output ones and fitted for now. Also removed the useless LED side light bulbs and replaced with standard.
83FCE9A2-9E4A-4670-A582-A49519CC67AD.jpg

Right hand engine mount is due Tuesday which will hopefully sort the vibration issue...

Overall, I'm a bit disappointed with the performance. Its only very slightly quicker than my 172 cup (even though it doesn't feel like it). I think there may be a coolant temp sensor issue as the revs top out at 6000ish rpm in 1st to 3rd when warm - I thought these had a higher rev limit in 1st and 2nd - thinking its running the cold map at all times. I've also disconnected the Dump valve as its getting on my nerves - I need a new recirc valve, but struggling to find a standard item...

Drove the Clio today. Going to swap the gearbox (knackered 5th syncro) and stick a new cambelt on it before I sell. God I miss the revvyness of the Cup!!!

Last edited: