ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup owners

Hi all, I'm Mike from snowy Wales!

I'm hoping to acquire a 172 shortly but having difficult deciding which ones to go view/buy. 172 'normal' or cup!

Did you have a bit of a mental wrestle when trying to decide whether to go for a normal 172 or a 172 cup? What swung it for you?

A few points I've come up with so far

172 cup

+Lighter
+Is quicker for it
+Has better MPG, too, probably
+No aircon in engine bay to work around, might even be easier to maintain, generally?
+I would like to do a track day at some point and this is very geared towards that.

-I quite like aircon ;/
-The seats are not great in either model but look very "1.2" in the cup
-ABS is probably a good thing to have as I'm no driving god
-I'm sure I've seen cruise listed on some, I would love to have this
-Cup models seem to be slightly more expensive (but not massively so)

This will be my every day driver. I've test driven neither so far as I don't like wasting ppl's time if I can help it. I really need to test drive one tho.
Any help would be much appreciated!

Ultra Red Megane 225
Cup every time. If your that fussed about air con go for a later model with Climate control built in. Thats what I did.

Lack of ABS is a good thing imo, just make sure to keep good tyres. Cheap rubber is what will let you down.

Decat the exhaust system and you have yourself a properly fast car!

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
I really found it hard to decide. I got a cup because IMO;

less to go wrong and also less expensive to service (belts are cheaper etc), well i hope!
I have had cars with and without both AC and cruise and I don't miss them to much.
I love the colour and wheels.
I like the idea of the cup, lighter etc... even if in reality it doesn't make much performance difference.
Interior didn't bother me to much, i plan on getting new seats anyway.

My main worry at the time was abs and originally had budget tyres on the front. But i have found that now i have good tyres and got used to it that its really not a problem (i am no driving god either). The brakes are great, plus there are relativity inexpensive ways of improving them even more.

For me it had to be a cup but i completely see the argument for both cars, but i could say the biggest things to consider for you if you are commuting in it are, AC and cruise. If you don't need them the cup all the way, if you will miss them the get a 172 and you will still have a great car!

172 cup
Hi and welcome to the club.

Id say cup but then Im biased. Im not bothered about air con nor what the seats look like.

The cup is cheaper for having belts changed, more expensive on the standard 172 due to air con.

I'm on my 2nd Cup now. Main reasons I picked the Cup was on the idea of "less to go wrong" but that hasn't really worked out as I thought lol. Also wears the best colour IMO.

clio rs
iv owned the 172cup for 2 years, and look forward to driving it more than the vx220turbo. If i had to buy a clio again it will still be a cup.
owning the 172ff will feel like to me with sounding bad. someone near by owns a 172ff it looks basic without turines, splitter, and cup spoiler. Dont let the seats put u off, they will cost you less than £200 to replace.

172 cup
It was a no brainer for me with the cup. Better looking car, always liked blue cars and you see loads of normal 172's about but not many cups

Za**** & Xr250R
I've now had both the 172cup and the FF personally the cup is more a driver's car yes you don't get xenon's, leather/alcantara seat's, aircon, abs, cruise control or speed limiter but some people can look past that personally i couldn't it's amazing how much aircon is missed when it get's to the summer imo you can get the best of both world's if you were to go for a 182 with cup pack's simple's :)

C

Cupster

172 with cruise you will only find on very late 04 plates iirc

Ive had two cups now. With and without a/c. With A/C is best of both worlds!

clio rs
I've now had both the 172cup and the FF personally the cup is more a driver's car yes you don't get xenon's, leather/alcantara seat's, aircon, abs, cruise control or speed limiter but some people can look past that personally i couldn't it's amazing how much aircon is missed when it get's to the summer imo you can get the best of both world's if you were to go for a 182 with cup pack's simple's :)

agreed the AC is the only thing thats missed in the summer

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
I bought a 'normal' 172. It was just what I wanted from a car at the time.

It is reasonably comfortable (I have driven both cars) compared to the cup, doesn't stand out too much in the crowd, but still looks the part (in my eyes), has the air con, cruise control, nicer sears (IMO).

I want to do one or two track days a year, to me that doesn't really justify the loss of toys from getting a cup. I can switch my traction control off if I want (mine is an 04 plate 172) and if I really feel like it, I can take an ABS fuse out. Then I have a heavy cup with softer suspension and a slightly narrower track (I think).

I prefer the non cup spoiler and a splitter can easily be added. All 172's should have had the belts done by now, so the cost of the belts may be something for the distant future. I like having ABS.

In all honesty though, my last car had coilovers, Recaro's etc and was more comparable to a cup than my 172 and I miss driving that, but the 172 is a great all rounder IMO.

It's all about what you want though.