ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup or ibiza cupra

after a new car when i sell mine, choice between a 172 cup or ibiza cupra,
still favour the cup but i like the ibiza, choices choices
any ideas/ views???

Golf R/Leon FR
definatley the cup over the cupra, never been keen on them, cup is quicker and nicer looking imo

Ive had a Mk1 172, and god forbid if i ever let the williams go i know the only other hot hatch on a very short list would involve a 1.8T Cupra R...

cup is my choice but the old man has a leon cupra r in black and its 280bhp and boy it flys, ibiza is a similar engine, wanted to know if any bodys drove 1 and what its like against the cup

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I'd take the cup mate.More fun and less on petrol.More so if you chipped the cupra.They are quite thirsty from what i can gather

ian

1.4 16v dynamique
agree with garf on this one, had a look in a mates ibiza little while ago now and to be honest i wasnt impressed, clio looks and handles much nicer

Golf GTI 1.8T
love the look of the ibiza cupra, spesh the new ones. being the 1.8T VAG engine easily tuneable to get good gains.

182 Cup
Hi, I have a 182 cup and an Ibiza 2.0 Sport (which I know isnt quite as good as the Cupra R but couldnt find one I could afford!). The Ibiza is really good to drive and is much smoother at high speeds whereas the cup is much quicker in the lower gears and nippier in general. They both cost me around the same in petrol really. Its a tricky one as they are both really good cars. Let us know which one you go for! :)

justinRT said:
the 1.8T is very tunable, and would probably see off any clio rs ir revo'd

cup owner ..............alot of fun tbh . had alot of fun with ibiza cupra r . it was quick ....quite quick tbh but looks r 2 b desired :S he won as i didnt push mine 2 the extremes :quiet:

182BG
if your gonna take it on the track, i would say the cup wins it on handling.
Cupra still handles well imo, and as mentioned before, if your gonna mod it get the cupra: turbo+mods=huge gains

172 PH1,Skoda oct VRS
i have both well sort of have a mk1 172 and cupra, i have a remapped and had an intercooler fitted on the ibiza and is a lot quicker in day to day driving. really fast on boost. 223 bhp. but the clio out handles it big time i have coilovers on the cupra too they are new though. the ibiza is the better car its more grown up nicer place to be if you no what i mean. but the clio still makes me smile most.

Hope that helps.

Chris

williams 2
what a tough decision!! i have a 172 and 2 of my mates have cupra's!!
personally i like the ibiza as much as my car although got to say mine is alot better on fuel!! my mates struggle to get 30 mpg driving like grannies!!
Over all id go for the cup its more nimble and its raw power not a blown lump! Working for the V.A.G francise i know how well built the ibizas are and how reliable they are, they are superb!
The ibizas are a little quicker, both my mates have jabba sport re-maps and produse around 205-210bhp.

Bad points poor leg room in ibizas front and rear, poor drivers seat adjustment if ur over 5"10 and fuel bills are REALLY bad!

bad points on the cups, not bad really mines been awsome!! :D
hope this helps!!

TVO

S1 Elise (ex Cup owner)
Straight line and outright speed go for the Cupra.

Cup definitely more nimble and corners better.

Cupra more refined inside and a better driving position.

I've taken both on track and would go for the Cup without a doubt.

Depends what sort of driving experience you're after.

Lux'd Glacier White R26
Why all the talk about the Petrol / Turbo Cupra. They make a wicked 160hp diesel which is easily tuned. Obviously for out and out speed, you would go for a petrol variant, but it depends on his circumstances?

What do you want more - Speed / Handling / MPG or a mixture of all three? If its out and out speed, i would go for the Cupra Petrol, Handling i would go for the Cup, MPG obviously the Cupra Diesel, but if you want a mixture of all, get the Cup! Some guy's see nothing below 35 mpg which is superb for everything that the Cup delivers.

Also, is costing not an issue? You can get lots of Cups for £6-7k, whereas a Cupra would be close to £10-11k.

Hope this helps...

Tyson.

Scirocco GT 210
A friend of mine bought an ibiza cupra about the same time I bought my clio. For a start, the ibiza certainly isn't "bomb-proof" - it was more unreliable than my clio was, his water pump went twice for a start and had an ECU problem, wasn't cheap to fix. And standard vs. standard, the ibiza was slower, wasn't even very close either.

He never got round to chipping it so I don't know how it would have faired then.

C250 AMG & 172 Cup
my mate has got a cupra, and ive got a 182 !!! Must say the ibizas go well but it has been re-mapped etc....

Theres not alot in between my 182 and his cupra, however i smoke him through bends but his car is a nicer ride, seems be more comfy and better built, just depends what ur looking for tbh

197-I love!!!
I had an Ibiza Cupra R(180bhp)for 3 years before the 182.It was a great car but I have to say I would choose The 182 out of the two-Loads of character and I think quicker and the handling is second to none.I know you're looking for a 172 but I'm sure it's a close comparison.

Renault Clio 172 Ph2
the early 1.8t in the old shape cupra are s**t. they always go wrong. the mk4 varient are much stronger. if ur gonna tune tho ibiza is cheaper obvisouly being forced induction. its what you prefer.

the main decider for me between cupra and clio was because the ibizas changed shape at about 2003 ish didnt they to the bubble shape and they look hideous.

i wanted a newer car so ruled the cupra out unfortunately!

MKIII 138
since when has a 150hp fr 1.8T 180hp 1.8T or 160hp 1.9PD cupra been faster than a 172cup ? the weight of a cupra is much greater than the tea cup and it only has a minor 10hp defecit.

if your talking tuned, i.e 225bhp cupra, then why not tune the cup with a decat £150, induction £??? depends but can be done cheaply at £100 or less. rsport £275 swap run a cup at 14.1 1/4mile if your good. the straight line will then be faster on the cup imo (185hp cups can keep with 240-250hp saloons, 230hp hatchbacks as been proven)
and by the time you have spent £600-£800 on getting a cupra to handle aswell as a cup you mite aswell get some shocks springs for the cup also.

seen all these track vids with old 120hp pugs whipping big turbo cars, or valvers keepin with some decent machinery, a cup will beat alot of cars on track even with a power deficit.
revo,jabba,amd remaps dont sudenly take a warm-average hatch into a super hothatch.

best sugestion was the PD160 though.

ugly cars imo.

btw. build ranks like this from best to worst Audi,vw,skoda, lastly seat, so decent build but not exaclty a VW or audi.

MKIII 138
ohh and lol at same mpg, im getting 38mpg on average from my cup i can get 40mpg ive not been in many modern performance petrols that can manage that :D

you're hardly gonna find a non-biased opinion on a clio site are you??

+ points ibiza - Tuneable for not much money.
- points ibiza - looks too narrow and sits too tall, handles poop and ask urself why the fr sold a helluva lot better?

+ points clio - lots