ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup not starting (sorted)

My '03 172 Cup had a non-start issue this week after a few days not using it. The previous owner told me that if the stereo face was left on for a while the battery would go flat so he had put a new battery on before I took it away. I think it was just an old battery causing his issue but I'm grateful anyway.

So a few days not using it, lots of rain in the meantime, got in it to do the school run on Monday and nothing, turned over a couple of times and it would just stop mid-turn. Other times it would not even crank. I assumed it was a low battery so used another car for school run, then tried to jump it when I got home. Still no go and what a game trying to get a lead on the posi terminal.

Battery was showing a reasonable voltage at 12.7, but I took the battery off to charge it, had a look on here and noted the advice of many including Renntech Mike & Mick at Diamond. Wrote them all down and removed battery & airbox, grabbed the multimeter & checked their suggestions regards broken wires above ECU, swapping black relays, earth straps, fuse 21, engine bay fuses. Still nothing.

What solved it for me was two-fold. I left the key switched to pos 3 (ignition on) with battery connected and pulled fuse 21. Put that back in, then split the engine bay multiplug and absolutely hosed both sides with electrical switch cleaner, disconnected and reconnected it a few times. Locked and unlocked the car with the plip and it started first time, then started three more times first turn. I presume it is fixed for a bit.

Anyway, just a post to help anyone else who searches in the future. Thanks to previous posters on the subject as your experiences were useful in guiding me.

I've been on a break from Renaults for over ten years, bought a Scenic DTi back in 2003 and it was such an utter disaster I swore never again. The current rock bottom price of 172 Cups brought me back. My two are numbers 31 and 32 in the list of previous Renaults owned: mostly 5 TS, Gordinis and G Turbos back in the day. Hopefully a bit more reliability as I work through the common faults!