ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup not starting - immobiliser issue?

Clio 182
Hi guys,

I'm having a problem where my 172 cup won't start up at all. It's had a new battery recently and I don't think it's a starter motor issue as there's no sound of the car trying to start when turning the ignition.

I'm hoping there may be an easy to way to identify the problem based on what works/doesn't work:

I CAN switch the ignition to halfway so that the radio, heater, headlights work but CANNOT lock or unlock the car by pressing the key fob, the windows don't work, hazard lights don't work.

Any suggestions as to what's causing the problem would be much appreciated!!

182 ff
check your relays .. take one out at a time , clean and replace. Check your fuses.. wait it might be your key, if you have a spare see if that works...

i had a immobiliser problem not so long ago where mine would stay solid, ended up being my earth strap.

when i was searching around i think your problem came up a few times, purple and white twisted wire on the loom going across the gearbox to the fuse box was one that solved their problem. Another one that came up was the 5amp, 15amp or 20amp fuse can't remember which one now though.

clio sport 172 cup
Ive got the same issue, light stays solid and car doesn't even try to start.

BG 182
Do you get the red light on the key when button is pressed? If not replace key battery, also check the circuit board on the key. The actual button is soldered in 2 places. I've had 3 keys now where this has come off the circuit board. It certainly sounds like the immobiliser isn't being de-activated because of the key.

Are you saying no electrics work when key is in ignition or just windows and hazard? What about stereo, headlights indicators etc?

Clio 182
Been away on holiday so not had much chance to work on it but still having issues with the car.

I can get it to start every now and again, I think the problem lies with the UCH/Relays. Once the car is started, still can't operate the windows, or indicators. WHen I rev the engine, getting loads of clicking from the UCH area.

What's the easiest way to access the UCH so I can check the relays? Also, if I remove it will it need recoding or can it just be plugged back in again?

Thanks.

Westfield, 182, 200
Have you checked that main fuses to make sure one hasn't blown or is a bit corroded?

Clio 182
Have you checked that main fuses to make sure one hasn't blown or is a bit corroded?

Checked all fuses in the engine bay, and fuse box inside car and all look fine. Have even swapped them out to see if anything changes but no luck.

Is there any way I can check the relays, remove them and replace? I can't see how I can get the UCH out to do this!? Can the Renault CLIP actually diagnose electrical faults like this?