ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup breaking

Completely useless response Im sure, but I tried an emergency stop in a 182 last week and I was quite impressed. The ABS did come in, but all the other electronic assistance gadgets were off. Pulled up nice and straight.

Took a while for me to peel my brothers off the windscreen!!!! LOL

Huw

They are very strong and have a lot of feel. Apply them reasonably hard and progressively apply more pressure and youll be able to feel the point at which theyre about to lock up.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

in the dry you can proper stamp on them without them locking up.you still have to jump on them pretty hard to get them to skid in the wet.

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by huw182 on 15 March 2004

Completely useless response Im sure, but I tried an emergency stop in a 182 last week and I was quite impressed. The ABS did come in, but all the other electronic assistance gadgets were off. Pulled up nice and straight.

Took a while for me to peel my brothers off the windscreen!!!! LOL

Huw
Yeah it was useless, but a free bump if nothing else. And, like you, Im in no position to offer any advice on CUP brakes!!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

I practiced purposefully locking up and releasing just to get a feel for what comes through the pedal.

From that practice, I feel comfortable with them now. At times, if Im well clear with no-one behind me, Ill brake as hard as I can without locking the wheels to keep up with how the feel changes as the tyres wear.

Mark

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by huw182 on 15 March 2004

Would you rather no-one said anything?
Obviously not. But your post wasnt much more use than mine!!

<edit> oops... I think I may have mis-read your first post... when you said " completley useless response", were you talking about my reply or yours??!

Unfortunately, you dont want them to lock under panic conditions!!!

Must say - Ive had a few moments in my Pug where Ive thought bloody ell, it couldve stopped quicker than that!! I may be wrong. But the ABS didnt seem to cut in as quick on the 182, so maybe the Clio has better brakes.

2012 WRX Waggon

id say its a must, u need to get used to where the limits are.

personally, I just sit back in climate controlled comfort, and let the car worry about the limits :p;)

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by geordieclio on 15 March 2004

how many mpg do u get in 172 or 182, 25 i get in cup
i am getting about 33 in my 182 and im not taking it that easy! thats a mixture of motorway and town driving

Only locked mine up once at about I20 mph on motorway!! he he!

Didnt crash but must have looked pretty spectacular from in front and behind. Only skidded for about the last 60 metres. Big cloud of burnt rubber!

Anyway it put a spark in the daily commute and didnt even seem to affect the tyres or me ;.)

X 200+ cup, now focus RS

what are the breaks "really like" under hard breaking as i havent tried yet scared without abs
:D ya gunna have to put ya foot on them one day :D

E36 323i coupe

how many mpg do u get in 172 or 182, 25 i get in cup
Geez.... thats sh*t!

I went to Southampton at the weekend. Got 43mpg there and back! Around town I get around 35mpg. (I do have an Ecotek fitted, but I wasnt acheiving figures that bad before it was fitted - before fitting was getting around 30-32mpg around town and around 38-39 on a long run at steady speed.)