ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Clio into an R5 GTT

'92 172, Lotus Elise
yep, the only 'mod' it needs is the speed sensor

its a nice variable speed fan too :) so you pretty much never hear it

'92 172, Lotus Elise
on the speedo cable there should be a plug with 3 wires (yellow, white black), the middle one is a signal wire and needs to be connected to pin 53 of the 172 ecu

R5 GTT
Just found out the gtt seed cable is a variabe reluctor and does not put out a signal like a modern hall effect or optical speed sensor. Anyone got any ideas how to convert this type of signal?

'92 172, Lotus Elise
oh? sounds wierd

what does the r5 use the speedo signal for? they're carb arent they?

got any pics of the speedo cable?

R5 GTT
oh? sounds wierd

what does the r5 use the speedo signal for? they're carb arent they?

got any pics of the speedo cable?

Yeah the gtt is orginally carb,
The speedo cable is just used for the speedo I will try to find some pics of the speedo cable

'92 172, Lotus Elise
the ecu needs to know the speed to control the fan and limiter atleast

not sure if it calculates load or overrun etc using it or not?

'92 172, Lotus Elise
from the few pics ive seen of r5 clocks, the speedos look the same (or atleast interchangable) to the mk1 clios

worst case you just swap them over and run a clio cable!

R5 GTT
from the few pics ive seen of r5 clocks, the speedos look the same (or atleast interchangable) to the mk1 clios

worst case you just swap them over and run a clio cable!

The r5 cable is defo 3 cables I will see what happens.
I have wired the fan up to an ignition live for now.

How tappey are the engines supposed to be as she sound tappey on idle and when revved I have checked oil level which is good and i know the oil type is correct. And to answer a question from earlier she revved passed the 7k mark on the gtt clocks tonight does feel pretty responsive. The heat wrap on the fanimold smoking as much as it is a little concerning I am putting it down to the fact thattbe heat wrap is very wet because whenever it rains what goes in through the 16v vented bonnet o to the fanimold (there is no leaks of oil)

heat wrap will smoke for a bit considering its new (guessing its new)...

my engine was tappy at first, ive put 3-4k on it now and its quiet as anything, all the tappy-ness has gone

'92 172, Lotus Elise
mine was never tappy :D - just rattly.. and knocking... ffs :dapprove:

anyways, does your speedo cable have a connection like this:

DSCF2887.jpg

R5 GTT
heat wrap will smoke for a bit considering its new (guessing its new)...

my engine was tappy at first, ive put 3-4k on it now and its quiet as anything, all the tappy-ness has gone

Yeah heat wrap was new, I will change oil to be on the safe side but give it time to go.

I am going to have to get rid of the powerflow sidey as so loud.

R5 GTT
Well it's all up and running done 240 miles this eve in it without fault but not very happy not what I expected I am therefore going back to c1j but am selling the conversion package.

R5 GTT
Hi Guys, Thought I would give a quick update on this. The F4r is now fully gone and I am back using the old C1J pushrod lump. Yes I know what you are all thinking what a fecking idiot for going from a modern 16v engine to an ancient 8v push rod engine, but with the the 5 the F4r is just to heavy an engine for it and the handling is shoking even with my adjustable Spax RSX coilover's not made it any better. But with a wider track who knows.
A few pics of now
IMG_5393.gif

IMG_5394.gif

IMG_5396.gif

IMG_5397.gif

IMG_5398.gif

A little vid of the 5 cruising with C1J (no speeding you may note)

th_MVI_5410.gif

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Excellent read! Fair play for carrying out all the work yourself too. Shame you didn't keep the 172engine in.

R5 GTT
Did you go down on the friday or the saturday James?

Saturday morning Matey we were only there for the day was just over a 3hour drive from mine with a couple of stops to meet people on route we arrived @ 10am. Alot more cars this year than last year but not as many cars on track this year as there was last year. There seemed to be more people under their cars than actually on track LOL

Ahhh right for some reason I thought I spoke to someone with a car that I thought was yours on the friday when we arrived, stupid me lol

Yeah, considering there were 100 cars booked onto tracktime and only 28 out at a time maximum, never waited once! shows how many were broken lol!

R5 GTT
Update - Yes the H/g has gone (but no this was not because of to much boost and under fueling. It turned out to be just wear and tear as the H/G was the original from factory and head was unskimmed).

IMG_5719.gif

IMG_5728.gif

IMG_5662.gif

Also been fettling the torsion bar aswell but still want to go a bit more lower
IMG_5652.gif