ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Clio into an R5 GTT

R5 GTT
Well I have been a fan of the little R5 GTT for thr past 10 years I am on my 6th GTT and my best so far. I have pretty much done eveything that can be done to the little 4 cylinder push rod engine so have decided to stick with the shell of my R5 and change the engine to the 172 engine with the hope of turboing it very soon.

Hers is a pic of how the little R5 looks at the mo

Current engine
Myenginebay.gif

It's current look (Which not be changing)
IMG_4237.gif

IMG_4239.gif

I have managed to source myself a complete 172 engine (Early type with the cable throttle) in fact i have got everythng under the bonnet of a 172 to transfer into the 5 and yes the 172 ECU has been de mobilised, but this will have to change to a standalone ECU when I go turbo but for the time being N/A will have to do.

With regards to Turbo's for the 172 engine what does everyone go for T25 / T28 or should I be looking @ T3's??

As the project goes on I will update pics as I will be removing the C1J engine this week, all advice welcome

M

mini-valver

Stunning 5 fella, love Tungsten. Good luck with the project! PM Scoff, he's built a mental turbo'd F4R in a 5.

ITB'd MK1
looks a lovely car. The manifolds available for the 172 engine use a t2 flange so a t28 is your best option IMO. They work really well. That's going to be an animal with 260+bhp

R5 GTT
Cheers guys yeah the Tungy is my fav colour of all the GTT colours have tried to keep the bodywork as standard as possible.

With regards to T25 / T28 Turbo's looks like I will be trying to ge hold of some cossie turbo where can you get hold of turbo ex manifolds for the 172 engine??

M

mini-valver

BBPT usually have some for sale on Ebay mate, although I havent checked in a while.....

A

ashy_gtt

As Danny says most of the manifolds available off the shelf have a T2 flange so the biggest you can hope for would be a Big T28, Nissan Pulsar type which IMO would be too small.

Best bet is to use a T3 sized flange then you will have a future proof yourself as you'll want to upgrade.

ITB'd MK1
As Danny says most of the manifolds available off the shelf have a T2 flange so the biggest you can hope for would be a Big T28, Nissan Pulsar type which IMO would be too small.

Best bet is to use a T3 sized flange then you will have a future proof yourself as you'll want to upgrade.

heard of a GT2876 ?

ValverInBits
as far as manifolds go are you going to do a custom job to bring the turbo out over the gearbox (as with the R5 GTT engine)?

as said, scoff has built an awesome 5.

BTW your 5 looks amazing mate.

R5 GTT
So who was the lucky chap that bought the c1j then james????

Sold it to a fellow of RTOC member matey his profile name is longy he is also took it with the VNT aswell (I am going to miss that engine as it was an extremely powerful lump and showed up alot of bigger cars:):clown:)

I still kept a few bits like the radtec alloy rad & intercooler setup, 13 row oil cooler, green filter, forge header tank, Full silicone hose set not sure if it will be any good with the 172 lump will find out soon. As going to be putting it in over the weekend in N/A form.

I may be pestering you for help Ivan as I do not know my way around the F4R lump

R5 GTT
Well I have made a start on the conversion and here is my progress
IMG_4389.gif

IMG_4391.gif

:rasp: Yep it is just a sticker just getting all the bits together now hopefully collecting engine next week:D

Ph1
Cracking project

Iv never understood on here how when folk mention turbo projects on a 172 or 182 Clio you get half a thread full of cautions and folk pointing out whats going to blow up first yet post up a R5 with the same lump turbo'd and the reaction is completly different :S

What im getting at is, if the R5 boys are now doing this, why are there so few Clio 172 / 182 owners doing this turboing lark on the F4R? :S

bass_direct

ClioSport Club Member
  375bhp mk1 +Williams
the 5 is veru unreliable engine, this wud be the perfect solution if it can be reliable like the clio...i was gonna do think of doink this my my R5 gordini turbo

are you from barking? i swear i've seen your car on ilford lane.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
the 5 is veru unreliable engine, this wud be the perfect solution if it can be reliable like the clio...i was gonna do think of doink this my my R5 gordini turbo

bollox, the 5gtt engine is very reliable, have fun trying to mate up a newer lump to ure inline fwd gearbox

R5 GTT
keep up the good work james...:rasp:

Hello Paul, Welcome to the forum matey, a shame I could get the clio TT I just didn't have the heart to sell the 5 so next best thing was to do a conversion but wanted to keep Renault so 172 lump it is. Should hopefully get some update pics up soon:D

R5 GTT
Been a while since my last post so thought I would update with a pic just to show that I am not being to lazy. Stripped all the bits I didn't need liks PAS, Air con etc..

My 172 Lump being cleaned and in the process of being painted

IMG_4440.gif

R5 GTT
Modified 172 Exhaust manifold and GTT downpipe

IMG_4423.gif

172 Lump stripped of PAS, Air con etc.. Plenium removed for cleaning and spraying

IMG_4450.gif

IMG_4449.gif

R% GTX front mount and plate
IMG_4402.gif

R5 GTX Alt mount
IMG_4425.gif

Phase 1 Loom
IMG_4407.gif

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Nice work mate, not ussally a fan of the 5's but yours look very smart!

Back to the bracket lol, what alternator are you going to use with the renault 5 alternator bracket now then? still trying to work out a cheap reliable way of running the standard 172 alternator with out the aircon & PAS but so far it seems the cup set-up is the only solid method.. price of it is putting me off though

R5 GTT
Nice work mate, not ussally a fan of the 5's but yours look very smart!

Back to the bracket lol, what alternator are you going to use with the renault 5 alternator bracket now then? still trying to work out a cheap reliable way of running the standard 172 alternator with out the aircon & PAS but so far it seems the cup set-up is the only solid method.. price of it is putting me off though

I am using the standard 172 alternator I will get some pics up over the next couple of days fitted

R5 GTT
well got the gtx alternator brackets on put the 6pk850 belt on but is not tight enough going to get some string and see the length required and get another belt

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Are so this bracket will bolt straight onto the 172 block & standard alternator? if so - sweeeet! nice work mate, keep me posted on the belt, thought f**k sake gonna have to hunt high & low for a cup then pay silly money for this mod

R5 GTT
Are so this bracket will bolt straight onto the 172 block & standard alternator? if so - sweeeet! nice work mate, keep me posted on the belt, thought f**k sake gonna have to hunt high & low for a cup then pay silly money for this mod

I have got it all on I will get some pics up later just need to get a smaller alt belt as the 6pk 850 belt I picked up is to big. Looks like I am going to need a piece of string to work out the length required.

R5 GTT
As you can see from the pic standard 172 alt is being used with 2 different brackets on the block and the zinc 1 you can see. Obviously the the 6pk850 belt is to big.

IMG_4455.gif

IMG_4456.gif

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
I will get some pics up later

Nice one mate, remeber you saying the bracket was only £20 odd right, part no. 7700718613

How were reno about ordering as its gonna be an old part right?