ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Clio into an R5 GTT

Lionel Richie
what do you mean won't mate with the GTT box??? are you fitting the engine to the car and then the box to the engine?

R5 GTT
what do you mean won't mate with the GTT box??? are you fitting the engine to the car and then the box to the engine?

Gearbox was still in the car so engine was going to mate up with it, sorted now left 1 of the locating studs on the GTT box all good now:)

There's not much space:lolup: (Excuse the state of the rocker cover and fuel rail cover)
IMG_4510.gif

Last edited:

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
looking good man, will be nie too see it at next years nat day, makes me wana build another 172 engine up with itbs to put in a 5, would **** it in a campus shell tho lol

A

ashy_gtt

Nice one mate, wait till you get a turbo on it, it'll be tight then!!

Suprised you mated the engine and box up in the car, must of been a right pain, I've always fitted them together out of the car and dropped it in as one unit!

How long until its up and running do you think?

R5 GTT
Nice one mate, wait till you get a turbo on it, it'll be tight then!!

Suprised you mated the engine and box up in the car, must of been a right pain, I've always fitted them together out of the car and dropped it in as one unit!

How long until its up and running do you think?

Thought I had it all sorted when the gearbox was in the car but it turned out I did have to remove it all and put it together out of the car now all back in and mated up properly, just drive shafts, exhaust d/p, wiring, bonnet to do.
IMG_4530.gif

Should hopefully be up and running in N/A form in Jan

R5 GTT
Not to much to go now spent tonight doing the following:

1) Fitting the driveshafts on both sides,
2) Modifying my powerflow sidey to match the 172 modified ex manifold,
3) Filled gearbox with oil,
4) Filled engine with Mobil 1,
5) Fitted clutch cable,
6) Fitted accelerator cable (what a ball ache should have done it with the engine out
icon_rolleyes.gif
),
7) Replaced front brake pads,

Things left to do,
1) Re-wire (may take some time),
2) Relocate brake fluid resevoir to bulkhead,
3) Top up brake fluid,
4) Install 172 rad & coolant setup,
5) Bonnet needs humping & re-spraying (to allow inlet manifold fitment),
6) Give the car a bloody good wash,
7) Can't think of anything else just yet but I am sure there will be something else.

M

mini-valver

Looking good mate, nearly there! The F4R Mk1's go well enough, so this should be epic. I'd break from the norm and go ITB's instead of a turbo though ;)

M

mini-valver

Not with a shortened one and the bonnet is prime for 4 50mm holes ;)

R5 GTT
Well done some more rocker still needs a clean but at the mo just wanting it in and running. (awaiting an R5 16v humped bonnet as i can't close the bonnet with the inlet plenium on)

IMG_4567.gif

standard 172 rad and fan (tight fit) I think a slim line fan might be in order
IMG_4566.gif

IMG_4565.gif

Clio 182
That looks shoehorned in there mate lol..... looking good.
When do you think it will be up and running?

BG 182 FF
stunning 5 m8y, bet it will be a tight fit 2ltr engine in the 5's bay. Have you fort of throttle bodies?
An regards to the turbo size I know a lad with a punto gt an he had a t25 on that an its a 1.4, and i fink he put a downpipe on aswell an the turbo lag aint to bad. So in a 2ltr an a car the weights lyk a feather it should be fun fun.

M

mini-valver

I should hope he had a downpipe, lol.

James, have you had the plenum bolted to the car?? The 182 plenum's are different to 172 ones, I'm not sure if phase 2 plenum's are different to ph1's, too.

Looks pimp either way!!

ITB'd MK1

James, have you had the plenum bolted to the car?? The 182 plenum's are different to 172 ones, I'm not sure if phase 2 plenum's are different to ph1's, too.

Looks pimp either way!!

ph1 just has a hole for an ICV. not much else that'd cause a problem. This will need an ICV though if it's on standard ECU :)

M

mini-valver

Thought there'd be a difference somewhere. Couple of the VTS boys are using ph1 TB's now and just winding the idle screw out as the VTS TB has the ICV incorporated.

M

mini-valver

Thought there'd be a difference somewhere. Couple of the VTS boys are using ph1 TB's now and just winding the idle screw out as the VTS TB has the ICV incorporated.

M

mini-valver

Aye, the 172 TB has the tiny hole which passes under the butterfly too so shouldn't be too bad TBH,

R5 GTT

Looks pimp either way!!

Yeah the plenium has been bolted to the engine as it came with the engine I am using. That's not a problem the only reason it is not on the engine at the mo is the fact that I can't close the bonnet with it on. So am awaiting my new 16v humped bonnet (Don't like these but it's the only way around it) to arrive.

I am defo going the turbo route not itb as I love the turbo kick and am thinking of going with the old VNT turbo when I do go turbo:) only concern with this for me is the mapping with the VNT but i am sure it can be done.

Clio 182 - 428 CatCams
Nice project just wandering how you went about painting the plenium in the pics above was it a case of sanding it down and spraying it with heatproof or did you use something else?

wait and see ;)
great project mate took a lot of effort do that, i feel for you ive been out in the cold working on a car all day aswell:( its not good

A

ashy_gtt

I am defo going the turbo route not itb as I love the turbo kick and am thinking of going with the old VNT turbo when I do go turbo:) only concern with this for me is the mapping with the VNT but i am sure it can be done.

I would stay away from the VNT mate, theres no easy way to properly map arround the chnages in VE that you get with the VNT. Theres a thread about it on RTOC under projects "Turbo Toaster"... Worth a read before you decide :)

R5 GTT
I would stay away from the VNT mate, theres no easy way to properly map arround the chnages in VE that you get with the VNT. Theres a thread about it on RTOC under projects "Turbo Toaster"... Worth a read before you decide :)

Cheers Ashy will take a read:)

1998 BMW e46 323i
Wow, I want one. And I want a 172 lump in an old R4 too.

Good effort. My days of working on my cars in the ice and snow are thankfully over.