ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172/182 insurance

Titanium 182
I'm buying either a 172 or a 182 soon, depending on which one I can get for a better price and on insurance, does anyone know anywhere that will be cheapest for it? I'm 19 and only been driving a couple of months.

would it be worth ringing my current insurer to see what they can offer me aswell?

Last edited:

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
You may want to supply your own lube

19 and been driving two months, they will actually shaft you.

and living in Bolton, will shaft you.

and it varies from person to person. A 197 was cheapest for me to insure, a 200 for another person my age and so on.

Look into quotes (elephant/admiral group are usually cheapest for young drivers) before buying one

172 cup
172/182 cups seem to be more expensive to insure than the full fat versions, so you may be better looking at getting a cup packed 172/182 But your insurance will still be fairly ridiculous.

Clio 197, Fiesta ZS
Admiral seem to be the young insurer of the moment - however as others have said, prepare to be shafted by them. I'd wait a year then try again.

Titanium 182
I tried various of insurance methods and keeps coming back pretty expensive, I love the car I've got at the moment but would prefer to have a petrol engine, but I wouldn't be happy if I got anything less than a 172/182,

PH2 Flamer
Mate at work just got a 182, he is 19 and will be driving a year in January.

His insurance with admiral is 2100.

172 Cup
Probably worth waiting until you have at least 1 years no claims.
Iv been driving just over 3 years with 3 years no claims paying just under £2000 on a 172 cup with Brentacre
And i live fairly close to you so imagine they will screw you over :dapprove:

You had any quotes up to now?

Ph2 172
I'm 20 with Adrian Flux were the cheapest for me, give them a shout as they recently became active on this forum again (see the traders section).

Listerine & Poledo
there are some websites out there which I hear can provide you with quotes for car insurance for several companies at a time, without you having to ring around or get a load of finger-in-the-air guesstimates from forums.

Something to do with Meerkats? Maybe I'm just Confused,

Anyway, yeah, I'd try them

Most companies won't touch you with 1*2 till your 25 and the companies that will offer insurance will rip you off no end but if your prepared to pay then get a 182 :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
When we swapped to a 182 we were told it made no difference at all to insurance as they are basically the same car, so they just swapped it over for free.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I would bet a very high percentage of 172/182 owners are under 25 tbh

I wouldn't tbh. And the ones that are, generally pay mental premiums.

f**k paying 2 grand to insure a French tin can. That's basically all your utility bills for a year if you moved out.

Clio 172
I'm 20 with 3 years and it's £1300 fully comp with admiral and 3rd party was only £100 cheaper. And my area is just by new forest so not even bad.

Clio RS 200 Gordini
I'm buying either a 172 or a 182 soon, depending on which one I can get for a better price and on insurance, does anyone know anywhere that will be cheapest for it? I'm 19 and only been driving a couple of months.

would it be worth ringing my current insurer to see what they can offer me aswell?

Your looking at 2,500 - 5,000

Just get a TCE and modify it like I have, 100 BHP is enough at our age, we are all heavy footed.

My Insurance is £900 with plenty of modifications with Admiral.

Clio 182 Cup
Just looking at this thread brings back memories! In a much less sensible life a few years ago I was caught speeding in a friends car and turned out I was uninsured too. (I didn't know this while I was driving!) 6 points in10 and no points sp30 conviction. Needless to say insurance has been a nightmare over the last couple of years so have had to find out a fair bit. 3 things to be aware of.

1. Amount of driving history makes up more of your premium calculation than the vehicle itself.

2. Drivers over 21 get a much better deal due to the way "young drivers" are categorised.

3. Insurance groups are not an immediate indicator of the premium price. For example, I have recently joined the clio sport club with a lovely 182 cup with one owner from new. I was previously driving a BMW 3 series convertible. Both group 33. Same company (Direct Line), £600 a year cheaper for the clio.

In my opinion, I would wait till you have at least 1 year no claims under your belt. Ideally till your 21 too. Insurance becomes much more reasonable at that age.