ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

16v - No Power - Help

Zafira and GSXR
Right my Mk1 Clio 1.8 16v has been playing up for ages now and if I cant get any ideas from here I am going to have to bite the bullet and pay Renaults super high prices to have a look :(.

The car tick overs fine but when driving it hard there is no top end power, like all the torque has gone. It hits a wall most of the time at about 5k and just splutters and stops reving, some times it even does it lower down.

Like the car is over fueling or something.

So far I have changed.

Water pump (then all of the above started)
TDC
Coolent sensor (white square one)
lamber
fuel pump
fuel filter (couple of months ago)
throttle pretensionometer (second hand)
ECU (second hand)
new plugs
Idle control valve (second hand and cleaned)
dizzy cap, arm, leads and coil have all been tested and have been told they are fine.
also tried a second MAP sensor and checked all the pipes

and still after all that, no change :(

any one have any ideas ??

Zafira and GSXR
Got the complete intake so didnt have to touch it but I did have the garage check it for faults after to make sure it wasnt a duff one.

Zafira and GSXR
that has crossed my mind as it does smoke a bit.

Just thought it was valve stems or worn rings been doing it for over a year now, the oil burning bit lol

Only guess is check the air filter, if necessaary run it briefly without one to check it, also chekc the exhaust system, is it blocked or anything

Zafira and GSXR
Any more input before Renault get it tomorrow.

Going to try and second coil and leads today from a mates 16v just to be sure.

Zafira and GSXR
Fuel filter was new a couple of months ago.

and the garage have fitted a new fuel pump and checked all the pressures from the tank and fuel rail and say it is fine ??

Could a faulty Air temp sensor cause all this troble ???

Thats the only sensor I touched before all this started.

Skoda Fabia vRS
replace it, there cheap....

its at the end of the intake manifold, be careful though, dont damage the pipe thats near it

Zafira and GSXR
Right renault say the car is fine and there are no problems.

But then they didnt push to get the problem but all the sensors and things are working fine.

Took the engineer out to show him what happens, put it this way, top of second gear he was holding the dash lol.

the are going to do a compression test on Monday but I am thinking the worst and reckon it needs a rebuld :(.

Skoda Fabia vRS
any garage can do a compression test, you could do it yourself, will save you money mate

Zafira and GSXR
nope went 2 minutes up the road and then it emptied all out onto the road.

As for the compression test I asked them to do it with the diagnostic so if they try and charge me again for it they will get it.

Zafira and GSXR
Renaults Report

Checked the engine management system for stored fault codes, all clear, carried out cylinder compression test, all cylinders very good 250-260psi, carried out several extended road test, did experience the lack of power when trying to accelerating, trace the fault to be lack of fuel delivery, new fuel pump will be required.

all that cost me £176.25

and now I have got to take it back to the garage that fitted the new fuel pump and get them to fit another.

Zafira and GSXR
will do but I got to get the garage that fitted it in first place to find the recept so I can take it to Renault to replace.