ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

16v... is it worth it?

Is it worth paying like twice as much money for a phs 2/3 1.2 16v rather than opting for the 1.2 8v?

I know the ph2/3 look the part but what do you recon on overall statistics?

and the speed?:rasp:

Thanks
James

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
you would be surprized how much difference the 15bhp makes!!! it goes from being just acceptable to being unaceptable!! thats how slow the 60bhp one is, cable throttles good tho lol

clio mk2 p1 1.4 16v
ive had both and 16v makes a lot of difference but for a 1.2 id still say its only a 1.2 but you will feel a difference but not worth double the price ... although i dont see how this would make it double anyway

i have driven both and i can see the differance, you can pick up a phs1 for around 2000 but to get a good phs 2/3 there like 4000. i use to have a phs3 but am looking for a bigger engine, what about a 1.4 or 1.6

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
i've driven both and owned the 1.2 16v

both are very slow, don't expect a difference

i'd have the newer 16v lump though, in as new a car as you can afford

Shed.
the 16v is slow yea, but its enough to have fun in. After youve been in a 172 it feels a whole lot different lol.

Mercedes C Class Sport
they are both slow in the grand scheme of things, but in the real world of 17, 18 and 19, they are a much better choice than the 8v. They have more top end and just dont feel like they struggle to go as much

320d
i have a 1.2 16v and i drive it mainly around town, but so some motorway trips etc. I have found it ok in every situation but you have to rag it at times i.e. joining motorways on uphil sliproads. I realy wouldnt fancy an 8v though, 15bhp less could be dangorous at times.

W

wickedbitch

I had on 02 plate 1.2 16v and it was horrible i sold it after a week it was dreadful i would advise anyone who wants a bit of speed but something cheap to run to go towards a tdi cheap tax insurance and fuel cost is low but you still get the performance

Fiesta Silver Limited Ed.
imo the 8v is better around town

it feels more torquey

huh? how can it feel more torquey? look at the stats for the two cars...the 8v doesnt provide the same torque as the 16v anywhere throughout the rev range....

ive had both the 8v and now got the 16v....trust me 15bhp does make a difference...i agree neither provide a fast and exciting drive.....but as previosuly mentioned the 8v feels slow to the point where its really not funny......

i'd have the newer 16v lump though, in as new a car as you can afford
16V lump is the same engine just different head.
i have a 1.2 16v and i drive it mainly around town, but so some motorway trips etc. I have found it ok in every situation but you have to rag it at times i.e. joining motorways on uphil sliproads. I realy wouldnt fancy an 8v though, 15bhp less could be dangorous at times.
Its only dangerous if you don't use the car correctly a 20000hp car is dangerous if you don't use it correctly.
16v engines are usually heavier too. .. i think :S
Nope well it might be but the difference won't ever show up unless you get some good scales its tiny.
dci100's are like hen's teeth

worth it though, 120bhp/250 ft/lb iirc
Won't make 250lb I thik your thinkng NM. Box is rubish with stock torque (200NM) so pushing asking for trouble IMO.