ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

15mm spacers but still rubbing on inner wing..

causing a juddering when turning hard right? lowerd on vmaxx coilovers, standard 172 wheels 195/45s driveshaft all ok, camber + toe done.. anyone else had this problem? :S

E11OOT

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 6/Ph1 v6/R34
i think there is a bulge on the arch liner that needs to be pushed in or removed, this should eliminate the rubbing.

RB 182
i fitted vmaxx coilovers to my 172 a few weeks back and when it came to fitting my standard wheels back on, they were millimeters from the strut! didnt really want to use spacers so tried some oz 35th anniversary wheels and there was a good inch between the wheels and the strut. Still i was a bit suprised that i couldnt fit standard wheels back on even those these coilovers were for my car!

So if i wanted to run standard wheels would i have to use spacers? sorry that this not really answering your query just wondered if you new, seeing as though you fitted the same coilovers?

RB 182
yer they were set as far out as possible! :( i am just guessing you cant run standard wheels without using spacers with these coilovers :(

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I've got the VMaxx on my 172 and with standard wheels it was fine. It was close but no rubbing. Had to run literally no camber though.

To the OP, are you sure it's not he metal bracket? Maybe a pic to clarify?

RB 182
This has really confused me becasue it all bolted on fine so it cant be anyhing i have done wrong, i dont think :( and i dont see how my wheels could be dodgy becasue they are standard :(

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I'm not sure, I remember not being able to run the camber I wanted so left it in a straightish position like standard and was fine for the few months i kept standard wheels on. I'm going to have it adjusted when I get my new wheels on so will see then how much space I have.

Is yours close to the strut or the height adjuster rings? My was close to the latter.

Black Clio GT
im guessing the diameter of the v-max shock housing is larger than standard which is why the standard wheel is closer, if your now running 15mm spacers and your still rubbing then you either need to lift the coilover a few mm or double check the camber and tracking ect has been done properly....
the other option is to maybe borrow a ph1 15" wheel and see if you still get rubbing.....

RB 182
I'm not sure, I remember not being able to run the camber I wanted so left it in a straightish position like standard and was fine for the few months i kept standard wheels on. I'm going to have it adjusted when I get my new wheels on so will see then how much space I have.

Is yours close to the strut or the height adjuster rings? My was close to the latter.

i will have to check later as i cant remeber exactly! with your standard wheels on you said its close, how close are we talking like cm or inch? lol

330Ci (Fail)Sport
i will have to check later as i cant remeber exactly! with your standard wheels on you said its close, how close are we talking like cm or inch? lol

Around a cm, definitely not as much space as a inch. I'm going to be changing wheels in the next few days, so I'll try and get a 172 wheel on to check if you want.

I'd want to run 5mm spacers with standard wheels anyway, so they're less hidden into the arches and with 5mm you don't need to worry about hubcentric.

im guessing the diameter of the v-max shock housing is larger than standard which is why the standard wheel is closer, if your now running 15mm spacers and your still rubbing then you either need to lift the coilover a few mm or double check the camber and tracking ect has been done properly....
the other option is to maybe borrow a ph1 15" wheel and see if you still get rubbing.....

Its not rubbing on the shock.. The wheels hitting the metal inner wing at the back of the arch when I turn to the right :s

ITB'd MK1
i fitted vmaxx coilovers to my 172 a few weeks back and when it came to fitting my standard wheels back on, they were millimeters from the strut! didnt really want to use spacers so tried some oz 35th anniversary wheels and there was a good inch between the wheels and the strut. Still i was a bit suprised that i couldnt fit standard wheels back on even those these coilovers were for my car!

So if i wanted to run standard wheels would i have to use spacers? sorry that this not really answering your query just wondered if you new, seeing as though you fitted the same coilovers?

which bit of the strut were they touching? quite often the coilovers are just set too low so the adjustable spring seat fouls the tyre. You just have to raise the height if this is the case

Is yours a ph1 also? the ph1 wheels have a quite high ofset so sit in the arch and close to the strut

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Am I getting this right? When you turn right, the right wheel is scrubbing on the bit of the arch between engine bay and wheel so in the pic of the front right arch below, it would be rubbing around the top-left side of the pic.

DSCF0384.jpg

If that's the case, I would have though spacers would help. Can you see scrubbing on the front tyres anywhere?

Am I getting this right? When you turn right, the right wheel is scrubbing on the bit of the arch between engine bay and wheel so in the pic of the front right arch below, it would be rubbing around the top-left side of the pic.

DSCF0384.jpg

If that's the case, I would have though spacers would help. Can you see scrubbing on the front tyres anywhere?

Its rubbin on the passenger side.. Theres marks on the metal inner wing

Dodgy one
Its either far too low or somethings bent, Mines about 60-70mm ET37 Superleggeras which you will be less, H&Rs and i dont have any scrubbing even with a passenger, I have "tweaked" the bumper bracket though

It doesnt catch the Inner wing either

Its either far too low or somethings bent, Mines about 60-70mm ET37 Superleggeras which you will be less, H&Rs and i dont have any scrubbing even with a passenger, I have "tweaked" the bumper bracket though

It doesnt catch the Inner wing either

I wouldnt say its that low theres about a 5 - 10 mm gap between the tyre and outside edge of the arch :s ill get it up on the ramps when i can have a good messure up although nothing looks out of place.. would this rubbing cause a juddering?