ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Geometry set up, spacers etc

Clio 182 FF
Hi everyone - I tried a search but didn't quite get the answer.

I purchased my Clio back end of last year and have been slowly returbing / replacing bits and pieces. Brakes, coilovers etc

The car has PMS top mounts, H&R coilovers, rear 15mm back of hub spacers and also front 16mm spacers. (Need these for the compbrake calipers and standard 182 cup wheels )

I'm just refitting the front coilovers at the minute and then want to get the alignment / geo reset before my first track day at Rockingham next week. (19th March)

I have a couple of questions though and hope you can help.

I need to run spacers if I leave the standard rims on it. I do have some TD prorace 1.2's which don't need the spacers for to clear brakes. If I fit the 1.2's should I leave the front spacers fitted or remove them ?

Will the car handle better or worse with the front spacers ?

Will running with rear spacers but not front spacers affect the handling ?

Should I buy some eibach camber bolts to fit the new coilovers with ?

Any advice or point of reference for to give to the set up place to set the car to or should I just go with 'factory' settings which I assume the alignment place will have.

Thanks in advance - can't wait to get on track

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Yeah the car will effectively handle worse with the front spacers fitted, you need wheels as close to ET43 as you can get for the correct scrub radius as even 5mm can effect it quite drastically. If I remember correctly making the rear wider will give more stability but also lean towards understeer. The effects may not be very noticeable but both will have an effect on handling.

Clio 182 FF
Thanks gents - makes sense.

What about settings for geometry? What should I be aiming for. The car will be used mainly for track - (driving there and back also).

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Eibach ones are fine yeah.

Had mine set up at Blink Motorsport in Winsford. Did the job but not the cheapest (~£90) and had to wait a while in the mcdonald's nearby.

Cheers James, will get the bolts ordered and fitted then get it down to Kwik-Fit and request the above front settings on their Hunter Hawk.

Just to clarify James is it -1.5-2 degrees both sides so -3-4 or -1.5-2 degrees total? Same with the toe out is 12 minutes either side or total?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
i've got -1.5 degrees camber each side and 12 minutes total toe out.

If it's a full on track weapon, then you'll want -2 or -3 degrees camber, but you can only get so much with the bolts.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Brill, cheers bud. Presume the rear can stay as is until I get coils?

They're roughly -1.5 deg on the rear as standard or it will be when lowered on coilovers, mine is.

Only way to add camber on the rear is shims behind the stub axle but -1.5-2 degrees is enough.

Toe in on the rear as standard so keep it like that or have it parallel (will need shims to do that too), but don't have toe out.

Clio 182 FF
Just ordered some eibach camber bolts - will get them fitted over the weekend and hopefully all set up early next week ready for Rockingham on the 18th :up:

172 Ph1
I run -2.5 deg up front with 20mm spacers and same at the rear with 10mm PMS block spacers . Behaves perfectly fine on track on F1s.

Saying that I also run Roll centre kit and it turns in epic . I'm leaving it at that .

I now have a set of ET40 Pro 1.2s so I now have 16mm spacers up front and will be reducing the width of the spacer at the back to suit.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457617125.600059.jpg

Last edited: