ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

13cm component speakers...do need to fit crossovers?

Clio 182 FF
I'm looking to replace the 182's front speakers. As they have tweeters I was looking to fit the same set up. But all the kits seem to have the crossovers as well. In previous cars iv had coaxials so not had to do to much. Do I need to wire in the crossovers? Or is it as simple as removing the old tweeters after removing the top half of the dash, then the door speakers. Or do they need to be set up properly ? I like the current set up just want to upgrade them. I plan to change the HU in the future, but for the meantime and happy with front speakers.
Any advice would be appreciated.

MK3

Dynamiqueee
You will need to connect the midbass and tweeter to the crossover, then the crossover to your CD player, not as simple as coaxials. Have a look in the guides section, im sure there's one for running speaker cable through the door.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
maby consider a set of the pioneer renault fitment speakers no need for cross overs and they are a bit better than the standard ones! although its the standard head unit that lets the system down i just changed my speakers as one of the standards was faulty

RSC 182 Cup
The factory speakers have the simplest "crossover" possible - a series bipolar capacitor wired on the rear of the tweeter. The door speaker gets fed the full frequency range.

Decent component speaker will have a separate crossover module that will need to be wired in. This will divide the frequency range between the two speakers as well as compensating for any differences in sensitivity between the woofer and tweeter.

Bottom line is speakers with a decent crossover should sound better, but you could do exactly like the factory set up with any set of components. (From memory a 3.3uf bipolar capacitor will give you a good crossover point for most two way tweeters.)