ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.8 16v Engine - Your Thoughts

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Is there anyone with a modded/Standard valver that is happy with their 1.8 16v lump? Because i seem to be the only one! I actually quite enjoy ragging it to keep the revs up and that 4k kick!

Im asking this because when anyone seems to mention modding the 1.8 they say to get a 2.0 or GTT conv. Is anyone else happy with 1.8 power?

I mean the 1.8 is still far from a slouch!

Its far from a slouch and brings many a smile to my face, but i always want to go faster, i think i was influenced by my brother who had scoobies at 20 and all sorts of rapid cars. I ultimately want to go faster and the clio GTT will fill the gap between 16v and evo !!

I used to love my 1.8 16v!! :D I really really did! The challenge of keeping it in the zone and on the beans was great FUN!!! :D I loved the kick you got when you hit the power band!! :D

It is a GREAT engine and huge FUN!! :D

However it doesnt compare to the 2.0 16v.....simple as that!! :)

A 2.0 valver is soooo different to a 1.8 valver! Just transforms the car! :)

EP3 Civic Type R

Dont know if this is the way some feel but, isnt the valver always going to be 2nd to the williams, because of this not having the full apreciation for the car? I dont know just food for thought, id love a williams 3

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

Think the 2.0 is easier to drive quick. But do like the fact that at low revs, the 1.8 is less of a beast so can be driven less quick when you want and its there when you need to go quicker.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member

to get a GTT engine to be quicker than a 16v engine ull have to spend a fair bit of money!

Im happy with my 16v engine at the moment, I dont do that many miles, and most of the time my missus is with me so i dont get to race anyway!

Quote: Originally posted by Mitsi on 24 June 2004

to get a GTT engine to be quicker than a 16v engine ull have to spend a fair bit of money!

Not when you know the right people ;), dont really care if its not THAT much faster, just want to tinker about with a turbocharged engine for a bit before i move on and upwards.

BUT LONG LIVE THE VALVER

Quote: Originally posted by 106GTi97 on 24 June 2004

Dont know if this is the way some feel but, isnt the valver always going to be 2nd to the williams,
I dont! The 16v came first, not the williams, so people have it the wrong way round! 16v are better.....;) :D

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by u33db on 24 June 2004

Dont know if this is the way some feel but, isnt the valver always going to be 2nd to the williams,
I dont! The 16v came first, not the williams, so people have it the wrong way round! 16v are better.....;) :D
Youve gone for the wider track but are you gunna go for the lump in the future?

Quote: Originally posted by u33db on 24 June 2004

Seconded!! :D

I have absolutely no desire at all to have a williams!! Yet i love and always will 16vs!! :D

But now i have a 2.0 16v i have the best of both worlds!! Im happy!! :)

[Edited by G16NNN on 24 June 2004 at 3:43pm]

Mondeo STTDCI

I think its a lot to do with the way the models are staged by the manufacturer.

If your in a Valver...youll always fancy a Williams. If your in a 172...youll always think about 182...182?.....hmmmm V6.

Theres a certain feeling about having the top of the range for a lot of people out there. Check out the amount of people trading 172s for 182s....! For what real reason apart from its the model "up".

I third that I am well impressed with the 1.8, like u33 said this is what came first then the williams was based on the 1.8 with up-rated parts!

I wont denie it I love both valvers and willys as they look nearly exactly the same but with the valvers you have more choice in colour, cheaper insurance, more revs to play with!!!;)

I also have willy parts on the valver, just trying to get the best out of both worlds!

And I would love to find a 1.8 that is in show room condition completly standard as there will be less of these around than willys!

Im not to happy with my valver cause its leaking oil the french t**t! I think its an animal but i want a valver in alot better condition. i got a leaking sunroof, noisy power steering, a noisy fan and i think some has shot my car with an air rifle a few times. plus hallowen someone chucked an egg at my car when i was away, now all the paint has corroded away. And the bodyshop i took to get my boot flushed melted my lexus lights in the oven and broke my ariel. Apart from that i love my car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not a Clio

Had my valver for about 2 years (currently for sale) but never wanted a williams. The 1.8 engine did me good. Only swapped the car because I fancied a change!!

Proud owner of a mk3 2.0 16v 170bhp Astra Gsi

oh yeah what is the bhp standard on a clio? i bought my car and looked some of the history i had. It had been on the rolling road and it was recorded 108bhp from the wheel. this to looks rubbish! What on earth is wrong with my valver. i drive it though and its well fast!

im perfectly happy with my standard 1.8 valver,

if i want to go faster, ill buy a quicker car in the 1st place.

All stated figures for cars are usually ATF, a 182 has 182 BHP (DIN) at the flywheel, not at the wheels, a 16v should have 137 BHP at the flywheel and less at the wheels due to transmition losses, 108 doesnt sound bad

108 ATW is about 131 ATF which is a little down, but rollers arent the most accurate things in the world......