ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.6 16v Clio II suspension clunks

Mk2 Ph2 Clio II 1.6 16v
For the past month I've been hearing noises coming from the front suspension, I thought it was a worn bushing or something and didn't give it too much thought...but now the car has developed a quite tedious clunk, specially on uneven roads or going uphill....going uphill over uneven roads will make it sound a lot...I thought it was worn shock absorber top mount but under investigation last night my dad suggested a gearbox mount too, since you can also reproduce the sound by forcing the engine on a high gear/low speed acceleration, it is not clear if the sound is coming from the upper section where the shock absorbers sit or maybe a bit lower.

I discarded the engine/gearbox mount idea because undre hard accelration or sudden desacceleration you can't hear that knocking sound typical from a broken mount...

The suspension feels very loose, the car only has about 20k miles....and now it is driving me insane :S

I will try to reproduce the sound going uphill over potholes when I take it to the stealer next week, since the car is on warranty I want them to take care of it...but I want to spot the problem before going in there...

Anything I can check before?
How can I spot a broken top mount? Symptoms?

Thanks!