ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.4 16v potential

kia picanto
hey, im thinking of buying a clio 1.4 16v. the reason im going for the 1.4 is becaure im only 19 and cannot afford the insurance on anything higher. over the period of a couple of years im going to be working on the performance side, rather than the looks of the car, and was wondering what the potential figures are really, and wondering if any of you guys have done the same? its 98bhp standard, am i being too optimistic looking to build it up to 150bhp?

thanks, mike

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
theres somebody on here think its a 1.6 k4m with over 300 bhp, cant remember who

DCi 100
Pretty sure you'd be lucky to get 150 out of a 1.6 tbh dude. Hutchies ITB'd one is getting 130 at the wheels iirc?

Personally there's no reason to try gain power from something so low, even the 2.0's are kinda low in terms of what is out there car wise.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
No chance without the aid of a super/turbo charger. And even then i doubt the internals could handle it.

The best advice anyone can give you is stick with what you have got until 1*2's are within reach if thats what your after.

Trying to modify n/a cars is a nightmare and expensive

ITB'd MK1
the 1.6 would be a better place to start if you want to do a non sport. There's loads out there for them if you look around a bit and they're tuned a lot across europe.
100bhp per litre is a sensible tuning target IMO

kia picanto
thanx for ur help guys, ill bare evrything in mind! would go for the 1.6 but like i say, insurance is sky high =(

ITB'd MK1
a performance engine should be able to make 100bhp per litre without going excessively nuts IMO. obviously the K4M/J isn't sold in performance trim (well it is now in the Twingo RS) but if you bring it up to spec then there's no reason it can't make good power.

200bhp from a 2 litre F4R isn't seen as difficult, so why is 160 bhp from a 1.6?

Listerine & Poledo
save your funds geez! In a few years you'll be insurable on something with pep.
You can then spend your saved pennies on something out-of-the-factory quick and still have a car to sell on that people wont steer completely clear of!

Clio 1.6L 16V
You can buy the pistons+rods and crankshaft of the 1.6 and make your 1.4 into a 1.6. You can also buy wossner high compression pistons with 1 mm plus in diameter to make a 1650cc. Camshafts from catcams I think they are the best for this engine. A good head porting, and inlets matching. K&N panel filter replacement for the original one. Throttle body of the 2.0 16V of the Laguna. A good exhaust manifold, a decat etc etc... And a good remap, with these mods you can jump into the 140-150 bhp zone.

If you don't want to do high mods, you can go for a K&N panel filter, the TB of the Laguna, the inlets matching, exhaust manifold, decat and a remap. Maybe you can jump into the 110-120 with these mods.

Clio 1.6L 16V
No, I have a 1.6 16V. I only have Laguna TB, K&N air panel filter, inlets matching, exhaust manifold and a remap from Henk (RSTuner).

It's very expensive for us to do these things here in Venezuela, so we try to modify the original camshafts and we gain compression by skimming the head and stuffs like that.

Expensive for you in Europe a little bit but it's affordable.

Evo 8 MR
The amount of money you'd have to throw at it to get said power would be better kept in the bank imo and spent on something better later on.

Megane 225 F1
The amount of money you'd have to throw at it to get said power would be better kept in the bank imo and spent on something better later on.

thats what im thinking now. Just going to wait til summer when i can get me a 1*2 :D even though i love how mine looks now :(

Evo 8 MR
thats what im thinking now. Just going to wait til summer when i can get me a 1*2 :D even though i love how mine looks now :(

I was in the same boat, I even contemplated getting an engine swap as everything was mint on it but decided to save the hassle and get a cup.;)

Megane 225 F1
Good idea tbh mate. I looked at an engine swap. Would be cheaper for me to just buy a black 172 and transfer the mods over lol