ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1*2 Gearbox oil confusion.. 75w80 or 75w90 ???

What Gearbox Oil Do You Use?

• Total voters
After nearly half hour or reading gearbox oil threads i am still stumped as to what gearbox oil to put into my 1*2.

I have read replys on threads from Cs users saying to use nothing other than 75w80 (Castrol EPX oil etc) as the gearboxes are sensitive and other people replying to say 75w90 (Millers and Comma oil etc) is fine.

Now i am stumped and which direction in need to go in to ensure i get the correct oil for my 1*2 (as may a few others). :dapprove:

Castrol EPX 75w80
Millers 75w90
Comma 75w90

What does everyone else use ?

If the moderators could set up a poll with each type of oil (75w80,75w90 etc etc) that'd be great and easier for us all.

Last edited:
  ITB'd MK1
Ok cheers, i wander what the poll comes back with if a nice moderator can get one set up :)
I read in some threads that 75w90 can eat into syncros or some s**t like that.
Sound b****cks to me though

it's not 75w90 that eats synchros, it's using GL5 grade where GL4 is specified. High sulfur content erroded the synchros in certain gearboxes

HBT 172 Cup
75w90 is too thin, use the proper 75w80 grade as specified. I used the Elf Tranself TRZ stuff, works lovely

This is going to get confusing again,I can see into the future.

I was just thinking that.
Theres so many people that think they know it all as they use a certain type of oil and they can't see past it.

I guess we should listen to the traders as they have filled and emptied upteen gearboxes unlike the average joe that changes his once a year.

I use 75w90, have done in my car for the past 4 years and no problems.

Where i work we use 75w90 in renault boxes, no problems.

BMW M135i
Found the Moytl 75w80 stuff to be pretty decent, used to use the castrol epx but I believe its been discontinued now.

Mk5 golf gti
there is a massive difference in price hence why 75w90 is used iirc as its alot cheaper

but 75w80 is supposed to be better but ive never had a problem with the cheaper stuff

ITB'd MK1
opis are salesmen. their tech stuff is all cut and paste. They dont know specific vehicle requirements. I've had a similar discussion with them on Williams clio when they were trying to sell fully synth engine oils. the F7R drinks fully synth like water

172 cup
Just wondering what to do... it does state on the bottle API GL4/5.

Should I send this back or use it... hmm lol.

Yozz'd up 182
Just wondering what to do... it does state on the bottle API GL4/5.

Should I send this back or use it... hmm lol.

I bought off them and have used it for over a year. Not had any problems.

But am kinda p*ssed off now that they recomended me and sold me a product that could damage the car...

Black 172
The first page of my 172 manual states Manual Gearbox: Tranself TRJ 75W80 API : GL5 ... so surely that is what you should use?

172 cup, Impreza P1
I use motul gear 75w80 and seems to do the job but if 75w90 can be used it means I can use the same as is in the Impreza so can buy the same for both cars.

"Navy" N17 TWO
I accidently pulled my left driveshaft out one night and dumped most of my gear oil

So onto the forum and wouldn't drive the car until I found out which was best to get and top it up as didn't want to throw any old stuff in :eek:

Trawled through loads of threads and made a few calls next day - most threads/people at that time pointed to Castrol EPX 75w80

Been fine ever since, bugger to get the hose into the front of the box though but we got there

BMW M135i
They don't make the Castrol stuff anymore though unfortunately, was discontinued towards the start of the year. Motyl 75w80 is the stuff to go for now imo.

172 phase 1
They don't make the Castrol stuff anymore though unfortunately, was discontinued towards the start of the year. Motyl 75w80 is the stuff to go for now imo.

Really, its what we stock for use in Land Rovers? (what i used for mine and made a big improvement to gear changes)

Bus w**ker
ELF Tranself NFP 75w80, unless you're poor.

prevodovy-olej-elf-tranself-nfp-75w-80-1litr.jpg

I care not for any other jibba jabba.

Clio 172 Cup
Hey i allways used Castrol 75W80 but this is no longer made but any 75W80 to API GL5 will be fine.

I have been told that anything else will damage a clio gearbox that starts with a whine and becomes worse over time but hey i don't know for sure.

someone once gave me this may help a few people on here

Clio Fluids Spec.jpg