ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox Fluid Replacement

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
I know there are several threads on this, so i apologise for yet another, but i have searched quite a bit, and i'm still not 100% sure what oil to get for my 182.

I know that the recommend oil from Renault is Elf Tranself NFJ 75W-80, which is a GL 4+. I also know that a lot of people also use 75w90.

Wanting to replace the oil on friday as i've got the weekend off, and am going away saturday. Reason being is that i've notices a disturbing whining noise that only seems to happen when the car is cold, I've only had the car 2 weeks, and i've got no history of the oil ever being replaced, once the car is warm the noise is no longer there (there is also a whisling noise, but i believe that is the exhaust and will be looking at that on friday also).

I want to know if i can use either GL4 or GL5 oils, and whether i need to use fully synthetic oil or if semi synthetic oil is just as good. My local renault dealer is out of Elf oil, so can't pick any of that up, and if i order from somewhere like Nielsen CDG, it's may not turn up tomorrow. Ideally i'd like to pick up something from Eurocarparts, as i can do it on my dinner break.

Some of the options they've got:

Triple QX 75w90 semi (GL5)
Triple EP QX 75w90 fully (GL4 & 5)
Valvoline MaxLife MTF 75w90 (GL4)
Valvoline DuraBlend 75w90 (GL5)

Valvoline HP PC 75w80 (GL5)
Triple QX MTF 75w80 semi (GL5)

Are there any benefits from running 75w90 over 75w80, and also any benefits over running GL5 over GL4? Any help would be much appreciated.

derv biege barge
I ran castrol epx 75w80 differential oil for 2 years with no probs. At last change 6 months ago I used millers gear oil 75w80 both no probs. You can get the millers stuff from opieoils website.
IMAG0341.jpg

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Thanks for the replys.

There are a couple of different noises, one i believe is from the exhaust which i took a look at last night (cat to centre connection), this is definitely engine revs related, meaning if i press the clutch down and rev the engine the noise still accurs. I managed to tighten it up quite a bit, so hopefully this will have solved that issue. I didn't really notice it this morning on the way to work anyway.

The other noise I noticed this morning only seems to start in third gear, and isn't depended on engine revs (meaning if i press the clutch down it's still there but as the car slows down it get's quieter until it disappears), got it this morning but only when i was at about 80mph in third. Though other times it happens at lower speed say 50-60mph.

The noise is a lot louder than the exhaust whistle too, and I've always backed off straight away whenever i heard it, so i don't know if it's purely speed related or not.

I've also got a serv and esp light on, when i turn the engine off and back on it dissappears for a while but will always come back on again, and think it's comes on quicker on a bumpy road (but then most roads seem to be pretty bad at the minute). Was diagnosed as a brake switch fault, but after replacing it with a new renault part, it didn't make any differance. Not sure if this maybe related some how.