ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Longevity of gearboxes

RSC 172 Ph2
My gearbox has started to crunch slightly when shifting into 3rd gear at high revs (looks like the 3rd gear synchro is wearing). It isn't a consistent crunch, it seems to be becoming when the gearbox is warm (running for about 20minutes), and even then if I take it into neutral and then 3rd it doesn't crunch. However if I try take it from 2nd to 3rd or 4th to 3rd quickly at medium to high revs it will crunch.

ATM I have a selector seal leak identified by Renault, (also a common problem I realise and can potentially be fixed DIY with a JC5 gearbox kit), so I'm going to service the gearbox oil (Trans Elf NFP 75W80 ~3.1L) and hope that this fixes it. I am especially interested in how much oil will come out and if/how much filings along with it to see if this was the cause.

I understand this is a common problem and there are many threads addressing this issue, however I would like to know what to expect? Are the non-esp gearboxes in the Mk II Ph II Clio Sport 172's relatively weak or is it just my luck?? How long do I have left before it needs replacing/reco (months, year or years)?

Also is there a particular cause or is it a common problem due to being a bad gearbox, or is it due to its design making it prone to leaks therefore potentially reducing the gearbox oil level and hence wear.

Regardless, what else can I do to ensure the gearbox lasts as long as possible in terms of driving style etc. I really really do not want to overhaul a gearbox atm as I am in no financial situation haha :dapprove:.

Lionel Richie
selector forks are crap, they flex and hence cause problems, changing the oil might work, but i'd say its too late now! they upgraded the selectors in the JC5-130box

no metal will come out in the oil as there's a huge magnet inside the box