ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 Engine Change To 1.6 ???

1.2 Clio Cup Rep
Hi Ive Got A 1.2 Clio its a 172 ph2 cup rep but my cambelt snapped so just gonna buy a new engine. does anyone know if a 1.6 would fit ?? cheers

172/1.2/E30
1.6 conversion is bit easier. No hassle with the subframe and associated stuff. But ECU, UCH, looms needed aswell.

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
dont bother with a conversion if your going to insure it properly, better of buying a proper sport

1.2 Clio Cup Rep
I was thinking about the 2.0l but as mr pink says the 1.6 will be easier and im not going to insure it properly mate lol im only 17 soo yanooo would a 1.6 fit in the engine bay though ??? because ive been told it wouldnt fit ??? cheers

07 Campus Sport 1.2
I was thinking about the 2.0l but as mr pink says the 1.6 will be easier and im not going to insure it properly mate lol im only 17 soo yanooo would a 1.6 fit in the engine bay though ??? because ive been told it wouldnt fit ??? cheers

seeing as every clio shell is pretty much the same i dont see why the 1.6 shouldnt fit seeing as renault make a clio 1.6. and plus, the 2.0 fits, so the 1.6 definately will.

i've heard the 1.6 isnt a great engine, and as for not insuring it properly, this is why everyones insurance is so damn high, illegally insured drivers ruin it for everyone else when they crash

1.2 Clio Cup Rep
Well im not to sure then really ? and yeah i know but what do you do ?? i have to pay the ridiculously high premiums anyway £4000 for a 1.2 so im sure im not gonna effect it too much

07 Campus Sport 1.2
the 1.6 is a cracking engine!!!!! whoever told you that needs shooting

cant remember who told me, i may have heard them wrong

Well im not to sure then really ? and yeah i know but what do you do ?? i have to pay the ridiculously high premiums anyway £4000 for a 1.2 so im sure im not gonna effect it too much

4 grand for a 1.2! youve been raped by your insurance company, who on earth quoted you that? or is your postcode area in baghdad?

1.2 Clio Cup Rep
nope 17 year old 1.2 clio 2001 its 3300 what i was paying exagerated abit by saying 4000 lol but its still an absalute rip and thats the cheapest i could find and its with the co op

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
i really wouldnt mention not insuring it properly.. cant say it goes down to well on here !

as for 1.6 being easier its not really any harder to fit the 2.0 tbh, but then there is insurance problems etc ..

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
i really wouldnt mention not insuring it properly.. cant say it goes down to well on here !

as for 1.6 being easier its not really any harder to fit the 2.0 tbh, but then there is insurance problems etc ..

07 Campus Sport 1.2
i always found the co-op quoted me really high, did you use comparison sites or did you actually phone them up? did you try anyone like adrian flux?

Have you thought about handling and stopping? The swap itself isn't difficult as engine swaps go, but a 1.6 has discs all round for a start so 1.2 brakes should really be upgraded, plus by not declaring it you may aswell have no insurance if you crash/someone hits you.

Imo either fix ur engine or put a 1.2 16v or 1.4 8v in and try to insure it. I had a 1.4 8v for the first 3 years and loved it. Insurance was only 1000 for my first year too (3 years ago)

1.2 Clio Cup Rep
yeah i tried adrian flux direct line go compare confused asda everywhere lol and yeah i can get the rear axle with discs and calipers etc. for 75 and do you think i would need to change the gearbox ??

1.2 Clio Cup Rep
its only 150 for an engine which my dad can fit but seems as the engine is out jus thought i may aswell put summat else backin

MK3 GTI golf 16v
just put another 1.2 engine in mate and wait a year and get better car. im 18 and i can insure a trophy for £1600 fully comp. just wait till you have a year under you and prices drop like mad

1.2 Clio Cup Rep
im not too sure what to do yet i might go for the 1.4 16v then and would a 1.2 gearboz be alright on a 1.4 or 1.6 engine lol ???

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
conversions are only worth it if you can do it yourself, i recon if you have to ask if a 1.6 16v engine will fit in the bay when renault make a 2.0 16v clio then its not worth it!

1.6 16v is pretty much the same hastle as a 2.0 16v, its not worth the hastle for an engine thats a bit quicker with a bit more torque but is hardly a performance engine, its got a nice bit of low down power but lacks the fun of a high revving N/A engine

MK3 GTI golf 16v
for me a 1.4 was basicly the same price as a 2 litre engine. so i wouldnt bother mate. i also made a thread on this a while ago, one of the mechanic guys, mick i think it was said not to bother because the amount of things you have to change is ridiculous. engine, gearbox, engine loom, brakes, exhaust, uch, ecm, key fobs etc etc

Clio Sport 172
just looked through this thread, it sounds crazy to me... 1: ive not insured cars properly in the past, big mistake you will lose! 2: why not just repair or replace the 1.2, sell the car and buy a standard 1.4/1.6/2.0 whatever you can afford because the insurance will be ceaper than a modefied car and it will be 100x more reliable...

Listerine & Poledo
I'd give up wasting my money on a shopping trolley, just save until you can get insured on something that was born decent from the factory.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I'd give up wasting my money on a shopping trolley, just save until you can get insured on something that was born decent from the factory.

typical CS.net for awesome imagination!

im all for conversions however if your doing it, do it properly and build an animal F4R or F4Rt!!

im all for conversions however if your doing it, do it properly and build an animal F4R or F4Rt!!

i agree with if your doing it do it properly, but it doesn't sound like he's in the know mechanically, and wont be able to insure it!

Listerine & Poledo

Imagination is fine for day-dreamers.

As for "insurance can't go up that much"

Probably want to ask them about that, I suspect OP could be in for a bit of a surprise, and not the pleasant kind.... more the type you'd probably prefer to be lubed for first

RS6 C7
i have a 1.6 16v and there alright but you will soon get bored and will want the 2.0, im trying to sort some insurance out on one :)

RB 182
just put another 1.2 engine in mate and wait a year and get better car. im 18 and i can insure a trophy for £1600 fully comp. just wait till you have a year under you and prices drop like mad

Who the feck is quoting you that at only 18?!?!? if you tell me ill send you a cookie through the post ;D

Ph1 Williams No: 112
As you've already stated, you're not going to insure yourself so why do it? We were all eager to get a car worth driving but just wait like everyone else.. makes sense in the long run and you'll have time to save up for a decent car by then too. You risk funking that all up if you crash when uninsured, plus you have the fun of dealing with the guy you hit.

Clio 1.6 rsi 16v
hi I a similar question... iv smashed my 1.6 rsi 16v yr 2000, the body anyway. then engine ecu etc is fine so iv removed it an dropped it on a pallet in garage... should I just get another clio shell to drop it in, in which case are the mounts the same on facelift model ( bit sexier).. or can anyone suggest a different shell that would make a good match..