ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 clio street basser project

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
People are so obsessed with bass and power. Doesn't mean you get a good quality sound. That's why you don't use a sub with good quality Hi-Fi. But as long as your happy mate and the car does look fairly tidy.

lol so Bose and the likes of have got it all wrong then have they?!

Clio 1.2 mk2
Well this is were your wrong my car can play a wide range of music and you can hear quality from what I have. MAYBE it won't be as good as hertz/focal/dls etc but for a BUDGET system I've never had Someone hear my car and question quality maybe its not your type of thing so don't comment on it if you want to post more negative stuff in the future.

Mate if you can't deal with a negative comment or two then your in trouble. However I never said it was rubbish, I merely said bass and power doesn't = quality. Never said your's sounded bad. I'm sure it sounds fine for what it is. Either way it's your car feel free to do what you like but you are on a forum so expect some people to love it and some to not.

Clio 1.2 mk2

Have you heard bose compared to some similar priced units. They are good for tiny speakers but are nothing compared to a proper speaker. We have plenty of speakers much better than bose.

Listerine & Poledo

In what sense?
Some BOSE docks I've heard are better than the kind of behemoth systems Sony shave out. the kind with 4-ft high speakers and a seperate sub... and plenty of flashing lights.

Of course, flashing lights are the symbol of top sound quality, as we all know

Clio 1.2 mk2
In what sense?
Some BOSE docks I've heard are better than the kind of behemoth systems Sony shave out. the kind with 4-ft high speakers and a seperate sub... and plenty of flashing lights.

Of course, flashing lights are the symbol of top sound quality, as we all know

Sony do not make proper Hi-Fi, either way no need to fill this dudes thread with crap.

Clio Mk2 PH1 1.4 16v
People are so obsessed with bass and power. Doesn't mean you get a good quality sound. That's why you don't use a sub with good quality Hi-Fi. But as long as your happy mate and the car does look fairly tidy.

so have you seen what alot of the sq boys run in there set ups in the car.....

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Have you heard bose compared to some similar priced units. They are good for tiny speakers but are nothing compared to a proper speaker. We have plenty of speakers much better than bose.

I agree that there are much better systems than Bose, but the comment about "proper speakers" is bulls**t and meaningless! Seperating the bass and mid range frequencies from a speaker will increase sound reproduction in any speaker. Bass is non-directional so can be ported from anywhere in a room. The 'proper' speakers you talk about will have a crossover in them to distribute the bass to the woofer only - effectivly the same thing as having a seperate sub/LFE, but putting more strain on the single amp instead of spreding the load... By your reconing, cinemas and the likes have got there setups all wrong! And Dolby made a big mistake creating 5.1 and not just 5.0!!

Inferno 182
Bose speakers are for your house, not your car, fair enough if you just want good sound quality, but i think the name of this lads project shows he wants bass.

Inferno 182
Yes i know that, but for a decent sound system that will sound good at shows and not just listening to the radio down the motorways, only an idiot would spend their money on a bose set up.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I agree 100%. Im actually defending the orginal poster! I was just replying to someone who said "good quality sound systems dont use sub woofers", which is rubbish!

Inferno 182
Ah right lol, yeah i know, never once been to a show where a car its blasting loud treble and no bass lol.

1.2 16V Dynamique
Impressive setup... Not my cup of tea as I have to be functional and use my boot, but i respect the time and effort that's gone into it.

Also, praise for the volume etiquette :hail:

1.2 16v clio
a little update i have added my 2kw rms amp i will be taking it back out as i want to recover my box due to damaging it and i even may rebuild it as im not happy with my score on the term lab

D48B8374-orig.jpg

Clio Dynamique+ 1.4
Liking the tints, but gotta say the whole sound set up looks awful. Sorry if I sound like a c**t, but it's just screaming at me to say it!

1.2 16v clio
Liking the tints, but gotta say the whole sound set up looks awful. Sorry if I sound like a c**t, but it's just screaming at me to say it!

no worries its not exactly a show standard car the box is designed to get the best out of the subs plus it gives the wow factor rather then the awe cute type fibreglass enclosers that are designed for shows

Clio 1.2 Billabong
Just wondering have you upgraded your alternator yet as i still have the standard 70amp and was thinking of doing the same upgrade. Is it a straight swap?

1.2 16v clio
Just wondering have you upgraded your alternator yet as i still have the standard 70amp and was thinking of doing the same upgrade. Is it a straight swap?

erm not quite yet lol its a standard 70a alternator i do have a 110a alternator that i will be fitting until i can afford a high amp hour one but.. i do have 0 gauge throughout the car with upgraded wiring for the alternator plus more batteries which takes off quite alot of the strain

Clio Dynamique+ 1.4
I bet the bass tickles your shitter though haha! I got a Vibe BlackAir 1600Watt sub in the back of mine an I feel the vibrations off that go through my body an on the steering wheel, love it!!

1.2 16v clio
I bet the bass tickles your s**tter though haha! I got a Vibe BlackAir 1600Watt sub in the back of mine an I feel the vibrations off that go through my body an on the steering wheel, love it!!

its a real shame i cant video it on my phone as its quite aggressive you can feel the steering wheel and even see it vibrate also the doors and the sunroof flexes and the boot well ive broken the lock twice on it now but hey i enjoy it :)

Clio Dynamique+ 1.4
I had a brand new Corsa SXi sport before my Clio, an the sub managed to make the whole interior vibrate, even the wing mirrors had a little dance. Pretty worrying in a brand new car haha!

1.2 16v clio
I had a brand new Corsa SXi sport before my Clio, an the sub managed to make the whole interior vibrate, even the wing mirrors had a little dance. Pretty worrying in a brand new car haha!

thats very common for what we do ive seen windscreens pop out and crack up

Clio 1.2 Billabong
Any pics of the batteries? i hope to put a second battery in soon when funds allow and can only see spare wheel area as a possible place once enclosure and amps are fitted.

1.2 16v clio
Any pics of the batteries? i hope to put a second battery in soon when funds allow and can only see spare wheel area as a possible place once enclosure and amps are fitted.

nope sorry but you can use another car battery if you wish if your planning on doing this i would advice on doing the big three wire upgrade on your alternator ( 0 gauge ) and linking the battery using 0 gauge

Clio 1.2 Billabong
Yeah i have already done tb3 and 0 gauge. Still need to fit my voltmeter. Having to use 8 gauge just for my sub wiring now. How did scores do with the spl d amp? Currently running 2 gt5's on about 1000w rms. Thought that was loud but 3 on 2000w wow. Keep it up.

1.2 16v clio
Yeah i have already done tb3 and 0 gauge. Still need to fit my voltmeter. Having to use 8 gauge just for my sub wiring now. How did scores do with the spl d amp? Currently running 2 gt5's on about 1000w rms. Thought that was loud but 3 on 2000w wow. Keep it up.

its not a true 2k as its running at 1.33ohm so im probs doing 1500-1600watts at 14.4v which is rare right now lol the score im not happy i hit a 144.3 but thats with no sound deadening and poor voltage so my plans on selling the spl dynamics has changed as my goal for this year is 145

1.2 16v clio
smallish update

old crappy interior out including carpet
1AA993D4-orig.jpg

new carpet in
785A009D-orig.jpg

new rear seats in
16607B1B-orig.jpg

and finally

front seats rewired and fitted
5A8DF96D-orig.jpg

Nice dude! But I don't know how that car let alone you put up with that much bass haaha! My sony xplod is enough! 3 of those would melt me and make all bolts wriggle off the car i reackon haha!!

1.2 16v clio
lol your ears get used to it quickly as its not a high frequency so you mainly feel it i would say the car is hurting more then me as i have had to fix the boot 3 times now o and my dash is falling apart :S

1.2 16v clio
small update i currently have no bass :( driving me mad but i guess my neighbours are loving it right now

re baffling and changing the front and port so i can tune lower and fix some issues with apart of the box

96C82FCA-orig.jpg

looks sorry for its self in my storage room :(

1.2 16v clio
update time

since forgetting to update i suppose i should say what ive been up to

inside of the box being smoothed off on the corners
380A5C4D-orig.jpg

front of the box cut up to size ready for fitting
C00153A1-orig.jpg

now having to jump ahead as i forgot to take pics of the baffle making
trying to figure out what space i have to play with........ it was tight
252608_10150962742199781_1220071537_n.jpg

another jump... fitted into the car with the box tuned to 27hz nice and low and as the box is it done a 144.8 which is 0.2 away from my goal

369CA0F9-orig.jpg

next step is sound deadening

A74D72F3-orig.jpg

CEEC300B-orig.jpg

i ran out after the front door's and tailgate but i done most of the rear quater panels so time to buy some more as i have the roof and floor left

this is how its currently sitting as i have been busy with working stupid hours

79582192-orig.jpg

projector headlights and colour coded rub strips fitted on the doors

16" 172 alloys fitted even though from the 15" alloys i had in place no1 can even tell lol
04444121-orig.jpg

ignore the scratch in this photo people enjoy keying my car even though i never play music outside my house
0BA6CF3E-orig.jpg

Last edited:
  1.2 16v clio
been a little while so i thought to add a small update

not alot has been done but here are 2 small updates

painted the subwoofer box black so it looks abit better until i decide what to cover it in

83E8BEE3-orig.jpg

brand new update just done today i removed the black carbon effect dash trims as im now going with a blue and orange theme to the car

521395_10151301298739781_1155737291_n_zps73c374c1.jpg

not the best of pics but here is a pic showing the other side

154433_10151301301464781_2140737360_n_zps9258689c.jpg

hopefully i will be sealing in the sunroof as the loud music has managed to damage it causing it to leak even with a good seal and good drainage and that means mdf roof ( more weight to this poor little car ) so once that is done i wont need to be doing this when i get tested on how loud i am haha
P1170201.jpg

Clio 172
I wouldn't be letting people sit on the roof mate, i done it on my old Fiesta and the roof bent, i popped it back out and it went to shape but you could see a kink in the paint, just a heads up :)

1.2 16v clio
I wouldn't be letting people sit on the roof mate, i done it on my old Fiesta and the roof bent, i popped it back out and it went to shape but you could see a kink in the paint, just a heads up :)

thanks for the advice but she weighted hardly anything and the roof will be one of the strongest parts of the car soon as it will have a sheet of 18mm mdf and a couple of cans of expanding foam holding it lol ( may sound strange and unsafe but when you have seen it done and seen what happens you will understand :) )

this ^ some f*cker ran across my car when I first got it and the sunroof has dropped at that corner cracking the paint and leaving a nasty dint... :/

thanks for the advice but she weighted hardly anything and the roof will be one of the strongest parts of the car soon as it will have a sheet of 18mm mdf and a couple of cans of expanding foam holding it lol ( may sound strange and unsafe but when you have seen it done and seen what happens you will understand :) )

why the choice of JBL? i found them very thumpy rather than clear bass...

1.2 16v clio
why the choice of JBL? i found them very thumpy rather than clear bass...

when i first done the build i had a small budget jbl has the only subs that you can buy in a small budget and run stupid power through them all the other subs in their price category will blow up through the stress i put through them

the bass coming from my car is loud and clear when people have had a demo they have been impressed on how it sounds for what they are

Maybe for what they are yeah, I have fli in which aren't anywhere near kicker quality but I found them a lot clearer than jbl at the same power etc, just a lot less thumpy and more quality is all...The orange carbon looks smart imo, just wanted to ask reason fella lol

1.2 16v clio
Maybe for what they are yeah, I have fli in which aren't anywhere near kicker quality but I found them a lot clearer than jbl at the same power etc, just a lot less thumpy and more quality is all...The orange carbon looks smart imo, just wanted to ask reason fella lol

it could also be the box mate i personally wouldnt touch subs like fli or vibe or kicker