ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 - 172 Rep Project - From the start. (pic heavy)

Evening :)

Well here it goes i've been waiting for a while now to make a project thread and i finally think its time.

I'm 19 now, passed my test September 2009 when i was 17.

It started off a year ago last week.. I finally got round to buying my own car rather than driving my stepmums 1.6 Zafira around since i passed. I went and purchased a black 2002 Clio Extreme, i loved it.

IMG_2044-1.jpg

Around two month later and an unseen double bend on a country road...

IMG_2068.jpg

IMG_2069.jpg

IMG_2070.jpg

IMG_2072.jpg

Well that was that, although i did have problems with the immobiliser and starting up the car, sev/air bag light on it was my first car :(

There was no other cars involved just me and a passenger, however the passenger saw the opportunity for £££ and claimed against me for whiplash with a £4k payout!

A couple of weeks later i went looking for a new car, funds were tight but i managed to get a newer car with less miles. Nautical blue 2004 Clio Dynamique.

Had a good clean the day i got it home.

IMG_2084.jpg

IMG_2083.jpg

IMG_2080.jpg

First thing was to colour code myself, i didn't want to ruin anything original so i sourced spares of the door strips (off my old one before it went to the scrappers!) and door handles and began to sand and paint.

Door Strips
photo2-1.jpg

Door Handles
79907347.jpg

I then bought a RS grille and got them fitted. I also sourced some metal pressed plates.

IMG_1456-1.jpg

I then decided to start spraying the dash strips the same colour of the car, however i didn't get any pictures of them fitted even though they have been in for 7months!

IMG_2276.jpg

I also sourced a Skoda splitter but never got round to fitting it. I bought some clay and megs cleaning products and gave the car another good clean. I also got some silver visions to get rid of the fried egg look in the lights!

It stayed as that for around 8 months and then i wanted a change and was thinking about a 172 rear bumper for a while.. as i was looking on the for sale section on here someone was selling one in primer ready to be sprayed so i snapped it up. The day after 'tonksy26' off here was selling the body kit off of his rep that was sprayed the same colour as mine and i couldn't resist so bought them and drove through and picked them up.

IMG_2270.jpg

The day after the bumper arrived and went straight to be sprayed.

IMG_2272.jpg

I also took in the door strips with it to get them lacquered properly.

IMG_2308.jpg

Everything sourced and ready, it was time to do the change over. Me and a friend (drumdom1) got up early and began to change things over.

Upon axle stands first things off was the two front wheels

IMG_2315.jpg

IMG_2320.jpg

Front bumper, lights and wings off..

IMG_2322.jpg

IMG_2323.jpg

Arch liner off and put to one side ready to be put back on and modified to fit.

IMG_2321.jpg

I left it there at pictures (just because i forgot!) Got the RS bumper/wings on with a little modifying to get them to go on right and looking correct. Worked out how the side skirt clips went on and got them put on.

Next was the back bumper which was an easy change over and also put in a new rear number plate light. All was done. I also had some 16" 172 alloys sprayed black and 25mm spacers for the front. Two of the tyres on my 15" ones were illegal and two of the 16" ones were illegal so it was a miss match at first until it got sorted so i was all legal at the time! Packed up and i was happy.

This is the first pic outside halfords that night. I had also put on 3/4 plate on and in need of a normal plate for the back to replaced the pressed one.

IMG_2329.jpg

IMG_2388.png

IMG_2368.jpg

Next was to get the wheels sorted, i got some new tyres and resprayed the wheels and put the centre caps on.

IMG_2589.jpg

Also sprayed the cap screws ;)

IMG_2606.jpg

All done

IMG_2607.jpg

I then spent a whole day cleaning the car inside and out.

Removed door strips
Washed using 2BM
Clayed
Washed again
Dried using a drying towel
Polished using poorboys black hole
Waxed with dodo wax.

Door strips back on and done, wheels cleaned and caps on...

IMG_2614.jpg

IMG_2618.jpg

I also cleaned inside the car and placed some carbon wrapped dash strips in. I also forgot to mention i bought 1*2 seats and put them in quite a while ago, didn't bother with the door cards as it was extra money and mine don't look out of place at all.

Also inside is an Alpine HU and sub in the boot.

IMG_2605.jpg

IMG_2603.jpg

Got a stubby aerial and changed the bullets and some washer jets to fill the holes up. Will get some current better pictures when the weather is good.

IMG_2639.jpg

This is it. Sorry for the long thread but i've covered just about everything!

Quite a few don't like reps but because of the accident and so on any RS is out of the question for a while. Oh and yes it does have a sun roof which gives it away even more :rasp:. All in all it hasn't cost me much as the body parts were already sprayed etc so it was well worth it all in all :)

Next step is to slam it but i need to save up first.

Thanks for reading.

Octavia VRS LE
very nice car mate, how much did the bumpers roughly cost? and do the front wheels look like their lost in the front bumper? and you need to lower it!! but other than that it looks spot on :)

ksixx

ClioSport Club Member
looks very nice mate was thinking the rep idea myself but guessed it to look out of place etc but from ur pics etc i quite like it top marks ! just need to find all the bumpers/ wings at the right price now :dapprove:

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Shame about the write off, and what kind of dick passenger claimed? After you kindly give them a lift :eek:

Isn't it funny how write offs give us better cars lol, I wrote off a dci and ended up with a 1.4 :D so much better

I love your rep btw, I was looking at tonksys for sale thread too lol you're lucky it was all in the right colour :)

very nice car mate, how much did the bumpers roughly cost? and do the front wheels look like their lost in the front bumper? and you need to lower it!! but other than that it looks spot on :)
Thanks, the bumpers all in all cost around £350 which is not bad, would have cost more if i hadn't had dropped on with the same colour for most of the parts. The front wheels look fine because of the 25mm spacers, when they weren't on they did look a bit lost!

looks very nice mate was thinking the rep idea myself but guessed it to look out of place etc but from ur pics etc i quite like it top marks ! just need to find all the bumpers/ wings at the right price now :dapprove:
Thanks, i'm sure something will come up soon, it's well worth doing if you have no plans for a RS for a few years at least.

Shame about the write off, and what kind of dick passenger claimed? After you kindly give them a lift :eek:

Isn't it funny how write offs give us better cars lol, I wrote off a dci and ended up with a 1.4 :D so much better

I love your rep btw, I was looking at tonksys for sale thread too lol you're lucky it was all in the right colour :)

Yeahh, i dropped on well. I no longer talk to the passenger, we were good friends and had been for 7ish years. We both walked out fine but once she got home her parents pushed it more into her head and took her down to hospital. What winds me up more is she is acting skint all the time now, her parents pay for everything she wants and she fronts on her insurance, ah well :)

Renault Clio GT 1.6
Great rep mate :) Got any before and after pictures of the wheels with spacers? Still haven't got off my ass to buy a set yet :dapprove:

1.2 Dynamique 16v
Yeahh, i dropped on well. I no longer talk to the passenger, we were good friends and had been for 7ish years. We both walked out fine but once she got home her parents pushed it more into her head and took her down to hospital. What winds me up more is she is acting skint all the time now, her parents pay for everything she wants and she fronts on her insurance, ah well :)

Car looks good. Does need lowering though.

Pics of said female :)

BMW 535d
looking very tidy. i am in the process of converting my 1.2 into a sport and was wondering how you had to modify the wheel liners to fit the arches? also how did you remove the dash strips and door strips?

The back wasn't too much of a problem and fitted in fine, just could do with some more of the pop in caps that secure the liners in (can get them off ebay) however one of the back ones has gone missing. Not sure where!

The front ones i just cut around until i couldn't see them, they are secure in with the clips that they originally were. Not sure what it will be like once i get lowered. (next thing!)

ksixx

ClioSport Club Member
clio loooks really good,lucky with the colour the red ive got they didn't do in RS's so will have to save alot more than £350 :( o well haha. Any plans for the future ?

Yes I dropped on well with the kit. I do like the fact that there are little if any similar ones out there that look like mine with the colour.

The next thing to do is drop it, can't wait now however I seem to have developed a knocking sound when accelerating at low speeds, tried rocking my wheels when jacked up and they're solid. Need to get that sorted before anything else can be done.

ksixx

ClioSport Club Member
engine mounts or possibly gearbox mounts ? you can check the engine mounts by wiggling the engine side to side and possibly back and forth (new to the clios so i dont know wot the expected results to be like ) :eek: and see if there is alot of give.
The drop will defos bring the whole car together look forward to the next few updates :cool: what you thinking of going for 30 or 60 drop ?

report the b**ch for fronting, or post her details and i will.

car looks decent will be a great little runaround when slammed.